Chris - Dark Angels (of course)

Limey_ElJonson

Chris - Dark Angels (of course)

Post by Limey_ElJonson » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:20 pm

I HAVE TOO MANY DARK ANGELS!

But what's stopped me in the past? I must have several thousand points of them that are painted already. The new codex and the new hobby progress challenge is just too much to resist, so here I go - get another 1850 ready. The rate at which I go I may be able to add a 650 point sideboard to that too.

I already have two Ravenwing Battleforces that are quite nicely tabletop, as well as a kitbashed Sammael in Landspeeder. I do however have two more Ravenwing battleforces that have sat in their foam, built and basecoated for quite a while. I will start with these guys. I also have a couple of Forgeworld dreadnoughts that I may use, including the Chaplain dreadnought. I was hoping this would be in the new codex, since the Dark Angels are all "Yo dog, I heard you like Chaplains, so we put some Chaplains in your dreadnoughts so you can repent while you hunt the fallen"

I have a dreadnought drop pod too, which may well end up in Deathwing colours for one of the Forgeworld dreadnoughts. Of course they all have plasma cannons. What a SILLY question!

Then there's a ton of Terminators that I have unbuilt. I will be buying a couple of the new Deathwing boxes. Since they have all the bits for all the Terminators I should be able to use the extra bits to make interesting builds for various units.

I will buy a flyer. I will buy a Landspeeder Vengeance. I will buy a couple of the Black Knight boxes. I will buy the new Belial, retiring the old metal kitbash I have, and the new Asmodai since I will need an HQ in the list.

I have some assault marines which I built with magnetised jump packs (see this link) which have remained basecoated. I may add them into the list.

I guess I will not be posting my list until mid January but my commitment for January will be to get one unit of Ravenwing bikers tabletop ready, according to whatever I can get in the Fast Attack slot. In between building all of the new shiny models and working on the club's Zone Mortalis!

I'd better put the Tyranids away...
Somewhat occasionally updated WIP blogs:

For The Limey! - a Dark Angels WIP
Hive Fleet Limey - a Tyranids WIP

Limey_ElJonson

Re: Chris - Dark Angels (of course)

Post by Limey_ElJonson » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:01 pm

1850 Pts - Dark Angels Roster

MAY COMMITMENT COMPLETE - HQ: Belial (1#, 190 pts)
1 Belial, 190 pts

JUNE COMMITMENT COMPLETE - Elite: Deathwing Knights (5#, 235 pts)
4 Deathwing Knights, 235 pts = 4 * 46 (base cost 46) + Knight Master 51

JANUARY COMMITMENT COMPLETE - Fast Attack: Ravenwing Attack Squadron (8#, 331 pts)
1 Ravenwing Attack Squadron, 0 pts
5 Ravenwing Biker, 181 pts = 5 * 27 (base cost 27) + Flamer x1 5 + Plasma gun x1 15 + Ravenwing Sergeant 41
1 Ravenwing Sergeant, 15 pts = (base cost 0 + Upgrade to Veteran Sergeant 10) + Melta Bombs 5
1 Ravenwing Attack Bike, 55 pts = (base cost 45) + Multi-melta 10
1 Land Speeder, 80 pts = (base cost 50) + Assault Cannon 30

JULY COMMITMENT COMPLETE - Troops: Deathwing Terminator Squad (5#, 245 pts)
4 Deathwing Terminator Squad, 245 pts = 4 * 44 (base cost 44) + Chainfist x1 5 + Assault Cannon x1 20 + Deathwing Terminator Sergeant 44

AUGUST COMMITMENT COMPLETE - Troops: Deathwing Terminator Squad (5#, 245 pts)
4 Deathwing Terminator Squad, 245 pts = 4 * 44 (base cost 44) + Chainfist x1 5 + Assault Cannon x1 20 + Deathwing Terminator Sergeant 44

APRIL COMMITMENT COMPLETE - Heavy Support: Land Speeder Vengeance (1#, 160 pts)
1 Land Speeder Vengeance, 160 pts = (base cost 140) + Assault Cannon 20

MARCH COMMITMENT COMPLETE - Fast Attack: Nephilim Jetfighter (1#, 180 pts)
1 Nephilim Jetfighter, 180 pts[/color]

FEBRUARY COMMITMENT COMPLETE - Elite: 1 Chaplain Dreadnought (IA)
1 Chaplain Dreadnought (IA) - Storm Bolter; Dreadnought CCW; Dreadnought CCW;

SEPTEMBER COMMITMENT COMPLETE - Dedicated Transport: 1 Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod (IA)
1 Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod (IA)

Total Roster Cost: 1841

Sorry, I couldn't get the other nine points from anywhere but I'll be painting more models than listed. I promise! For instance, when I work on the two Terminator Troop choices, I will be painting a Deathwing Champion to go with my existing command squad. I will also be building and painting a few of the fat kids with Cyclone Missile Launchers and lightning claws. There will be six more Knights painted to go with the five in the commitment. MAN, I want to put eight of them in a Spartan with Belial and Asmodai.

The Land Speeder Vengeance will have its Darkshroud pieces painted at the same time. As will its twin, so that month's commitment will be a twofer! I could say the same for the Nephilim as I will be painting the Dark Talon in the same month.

I couldn't get them into the list but I have the Ravenwing command squad and six black knights to do also. I'm glad there's a banner in each box since that gives me three tries at not f'n it up :P

EDITED FEBRUARY 18TH
Last edited by Limey_ElJonson on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 12 times in total.

irishlep77

Post by irishlep77 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:24 pm

I really like the concept of the Chaplain Dread and would like to know more about them. How well do they work in games??
"I would like to weigh in here... No." - Raj Kootherbali.

"I don't want to be attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis." - Sheldon Cooper.

Limey_ElJonson

Post by Limey_ElJonson » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:30 pm

No idea! LOL

I'm also considering giving him two CCW arms make him pseudo-furioso

I was wishlisting that this unit would be part of the new codex, which is the reason I bought it but I'll use it anyway just to see what happens :-)

irishlep77

Post by irishlep77 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Limey_ElJonson wrote:No idea! LOL

I'm also considering giving him two CCW arms make him pseudo-furioso

I was wishlisting that this unit would be part of the new codex, which is the reason I bought it but I'll use it anyway just to see what happens :-)
Rock on. I am trying to think about how to do DA with Blood Angel allies and make it work fluff wise. Too bad all the BAs I have been wanting to work on are Death Company. :)
"I would like to weigh in here... No." - Raj Kootherbali.

"I don't want to be attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis." - Sheldon Cooper.

SirTainly

Post by SirTainly » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:07 am

Hey Chris, I'm here as promised - I'll be posting my list up in a minute.

Looking forward to seeing more of your DA horde!

Simon

PS get on with the ZM boards! I hate having to pretend I don't know about this open secret! ;)
PPS Don't get on too quickly I still have to make my Naval Boarding Party to use on the new boards! :)
Iron Within, Iron Without!

Limey_ElJonson

Post by Limey_ElJonson » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:09 pm

January's goal. Complete the painting and basing on this Ravenwing squad. There is one biker with a flamer, one with a plasma gun. The sarge has a power fist and plasma pistol - in his holster, you can't see it but I paid the points! :P

So that it can fit in the same slot, the speeder has Heavy Bolter and Assault Cannon. The Attack Bike has a Multimelta.

I have resin bases that will be painted before each bike is pinned to it. I do not have a base for the attack bike.

The bikes are base coated in Tamiya NATO black. They look kinda fuzzy right now, and they are. Something to do with the way the paint comes out of the airbrush if you don't use Tamiya thinner. I just used de-mineralised water. It's no big deal, I just give it a rub with a soft toothrbrush and it's fine! I spoke about it in my blog here

I will try to remember to post some progress pictures. I didn't do it in my blog while I was painting the other two squads! If you take a look elsewhere in my blog you can see the Landspeeder that I built for Sammael

I think I'm going to be hard pushed for January given the construction that's about to start at my house. At least I'm not building them too!

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:10 pm

That landspeeder is tiddysprinkles! I look forward to seeing what you do with these.

Limey_ElJonson

Post by Limey_ElJonson » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:02 am

The secret word for the day, Zappa fans is TIDDYSPRINKLES

Got my act together today and de-fuzzed all of the Ravenwing I currently have pending - the January and (possibly, depending on the codex) February goals. I also made sure to check all of the bolter barrels, drill out the ones I missed and of course drill out the tailpipes. Thanks Nick!

I put away the current projects and all of their associated paints and arranged most of the paints I'll need over the next couple of weeks. Maybe even months - when I buy the heavy speeder and flyers I may just carry on with the paint scheme since it'll be fresh in my head. Or I may do something else if I feel my mental hinges bending.

As I said before they're basecoated through an airbrush with Tamiya's NATO black. Over the basecoat I'll start doing the metals and reds, then re-touching the black where there are oops. There are always oops. At this time I can't for the LIFE of me remember if I did the edge highlighting before or after the wash. I will have to go to the store and bring home some bikes for reference. I keep my Ravenwing in a locked display case at my FLGS. Pictures coming as they're ready for and after the wash so you can see how the Badab Black works going through an airbrush. I may have to change that out given that Badab Black is NLA, I don't have a lot of it and I haven't tried Nuln Oil yet - I don't know how it behaves when thinned 50% through an airbrush.

After that I'll start by painting the fairings - I base them in P3's Frost Bite as it's a very light base with high pigment. I then do a wash with Asurmen Blue into the recesses of the feathers. On top of that goes an overbrush of P3 Menoth White Highlight. That's pretty much what I will do for the fairings. Pictures as the action happens, people. And I mean in regard to the painting of Ravenwing. Not any other kind of action. Boom chicka bow-wow.

Limey_ElJonson

Post by Limey_ElJonson » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:48 am

MERRY NEW YEAR!!! HAAA HA HA HA!

Dark Angels come this month. My hobby commitment challenge army is Dark Angels. I committed to Ravenwing. May as well bring in the new year the way it'll go for the next eleven months!. Here's the lot for January. Done the red on the bolters. Mephiston Red base and Blood Red over the top.

And then since there was just red to be done and my hand-eye coordination is lacking somewhat... here's the other battleforce. There's Jack Daniel's in the tupperware cup because I don't trust myself with the gold rimmed tumblers right now!

Return to “Space Marines (All Chapters)”