D&D 5th Edition Brouhaha

Discussion of games other than WH40k
skars

Re: D&D 5th Edition Brouhaha

Post by skars » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Adan wrote:
skars wrote:Why would you continue to play Pathfinder and not Warhammer 5th (or even 6th) edition for instance?
Maybe because PF is still supported by continuous company product and support and has a solid and growing player-base and older editions of 40K or FB have neither.
All of the 6th edition codicies and models are still available with the exception of the Orks, but that was a 4th edition codex anyways.
Who was that masked man?

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:32 pm

For me, 40k is a community game. D&D is just a game I play with my friends.

Also, I like each newer version of 40k better than the last (5th-7th). I can't say that for D&D, at least not yet.

Anubis1028

Post by Anubis1028 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Also parallel with D&D....loved 2nd the best but not disliking at all the newest edition so far (7th 40k and 5th D&D).

skars

Post by skars » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:59 am

Anubis1028 wrote:Also parallel with D&D....loved 2nd the best but not disliking at all the newest edition so far (7th 40k and 5th D&D).
If you liked AD&D 2ed the best, you may like Pathfinder. Very similar in that they both took existing rules and just turned it up to eleventy with splatbooks (handbooks or compendiums in 2ed jargon) covering just about every possible class combination and stats for whatever shade of goblin you can think of.

2ed probably had more rules updates from 1ed than pathfinder does for 3.5 (Hello thac0, proficiencies, weapon speed, and kits) but the proliferation of rules for just about everything and the Adventure Path concept in particular is certainly a Paizo mark on the game. That came about when they did Dungeon magazine for wizards back in the 3.x days and has proliferated with pathfinder.

I honestly feel like the durability of pathfinder has not really been with the rules as much as with the organized play. The utter implosion of the RPGA sealed the fate for 4ed and PFS has essentially gobbled up those players. So, I think while the latest (basic) ruleset will bring back a bunch of the gamers as I mentioned earlier in the thread but it will be the Adventure League that helps keep the games going in stores and conventions. So far their support looks promising.
Who was that masked man?

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:22 am

For me I'm just getting into Pathfinder. I liked 3.5 and I like what was done (for the most part) with the changes to it in Pathfinder.

It does exactly what I want so I feel no great desire to learn a new system. To me, it contains the rules conducive to me running the games and telling the stories I want.

I am in fact, divesting myself of a lot of old rule books for gaming across the board. Pathfinder will hold my fantasy slot, Traveller my Sci-Fi slot, Call of Cthulhu my horror slot with prob BRP filling in where needed.

Of course I have a massive collection of 40k RPG stuff that's going nowhere...
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

Anubis1028

Post by Anubis1028 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:26 am

I wasn't a fan of 3.0/3.5...but strangely liked Pathfinder. It had a kind of old TSR feel. Of course part of the reason I didn't like 3.5 could be my grudge against WotC for taking over TSR....

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:32 pm

Also, it's tough to argue against Paizo's business model. I think it's still just $10 for PDF copies of their books. You are free to buy the hardcopy of your favorite/most used books and then it's a nominal cost to fill your digital library with the rest. I don't know anyone who even remotely feels the desire to steal Paizo publications.

skars

Post by skars » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:02 am

Loopy wrote:Also, it's tough to argue against Paizo's business model. I think it's still just $10 for PDF copies of their books. You are free to buy the hardcopy of your favorite/most used books and then it's a nominal cost to fill your digital library with the rest. I don't know anyone who even remotely feels the desire to steal Paizo publications.
Well, there are plenty of folks on usenet doing just that, how much it impacts paizo's bottom line is questionable. $10 isn't so bad but you can find just as many offerings from other groups on rpgnow and dndclassics.com to accomplish the same and many leverage a "pay what you want" system. I generally buy the pdf+print combinations of the games im interested in. That way I can print out just a few spells or create other player aids, because at the table it's all dead tree versions for me. :)
Who was that masked man?

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:41 am

I don't think piracy is anywhere as prevalent with Pathfinder as with 40k, at least according to my limited anecdotal experience. I know of no one in my group who downloads Paizo stuff without paying. Almost everyone has downloaded the 40k stuff without paying.

And I agree. I can barely function at the table with a digital version.

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:42 am

Anubis1028 wrote:I wasn't a fan of 3.0/3.5...but strangely liked Pathfinder. It had a kind of old TSR feel. Of course part of the reason I didn't like 3.5 could be my grudge against WotC for taking over TSR....
For the record TSR was going under. WOTC "saved them" by purchasing them.

What they did after that is open to debate I suppose...
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

Return to “Other Games”