Warhammer Fantasy

Discussion of games other than WH40k
Gymbo138

Warhammer Fantasy

Post by Gymbo138 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:19 am

So, i recently picked up a bunch of skaven. I thought the 40k models were small, but these are like half the size of my chaos. Plus I have to (or get to, depending on my mood) paint a bazillion more models. This hobby is slowly taking over my life. hahaha I'm gonna be homeless, but I'll have some really cool table top stuff. Just something I thought I'd share, because I'm pretty excited/ nervous to start.

Grots Life

Re: Warhammer Fantasy

Post by Grots Life » Sat May 03, 2014 9:30 am

Fantasy plays differently than 40K. I think it's a much more tactical game. Position and movement are much more important in fantasy. Both are fun games.

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Sat May 03, 2014 10:39 am

The Island of Blood box set is half Skaven, has the mini rulebook (like the 40K starter) and is a great way to jump in. It also means that the IoB Skaven models are plentiful on eBay and other sites. If you do not have a local store, check out Spruehammer Games and tell them you are a listener.

Warhammer Fantasy Battle is a very fun game, and I agree that it is more strategic, in that moves mean more and setting a strategy for how you want to position things is critical. It is much easier to lose on deployment in WHFB than in 40K.

Oh, and when painting Skaven (or Orcs or any horde army), an airbrush is your friend. ;)

Have fun!!!
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Gymbo138

Post by Gymbo138 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:59 pm

Adan wrote:The Island of Blood box set is half Skaven, has the mini rulebook (like the 40K starter) and is a great way to jump in. It also means that the IoB Skaven models are plentiful on eBay and other sites. If you do not have a local store, check out Spruehammer Games and tell them you are a listener.

Warhammer Fantasy Battle is a very fun game, and I agree that it is more strategic, in that moves mean more and setting a strategy for how you want to position things is critical. It is much easier to lose on deployment in WHFB than in 40K.

Oh, and when painting Skaven (or Orcs or any horde army), an airbrush is your friend. ;)

Have fun!!!
That's actually the route i went. I split Island of Blood with a friend, and then I picked up just the skaven half of IoB off of ebay. Then I painted a couple models in trade for some odds and ends.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

GrinnialVex

Post by GrinnialVex » Mon May 05, 2014 12:06 pm

Those Island of Blood Skaven are soooooooo cool! I picked up that box to play with my kids right before the Space Marine video game dropped. Once I let my kids play that though, they were all about marines and 40k instead. I've been thinking a lot about painting up the Island of Blood rat ogres lately though, and I think they're quickly working their way towards the top of my priority list...

Anyway, good luck with the army. An airbrush would indeed be helpful, and I imagine that some good drybrushing and washing would have the dirty little rats looking very nice very quickly.

Return to “Other Games”