Running a Con game: Talisman

Discussion of games other than WH40k
Teddyrj

Running a Con game: Talisman

Post by Teddyrj » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:37 pm

I've volunteer to run a Talisman game as part of my local game shop international tabletop day event.

I've been playing talisman for years now and it's by far my favourite board game, but I've never run this type of event before, I want it to be a free fun drop in drop out game, where player get a chance to play a new game and hopefully get non-games or tho pesky magic player involved.

Dose anyone have any advise for running games like this? Is there anyway to predicted the number of people likely to turn up? What can I do to make it fun for everyone, maybe someone that not doing to well etc.? Should there be prices, I'm thinking certificate for everyone, a raffle type every one that plays gets an entry and a best over all?

Sir_Servo

Re: Running a Con game: Talisman

Post by Sir_Servo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:08 pm

One of the things that may, or may not, seem like a 'Duh! Why didn't I think of that' kind of thing is to make up reference cards. List out turn order, how combat works, and any other things the players may need to know. That way they have a visual reference guide in front of them and you won't have to answer the same questions a million times through out the game.

For Talisman in particular, I would keep it to the base game. Maybe have one each of the different 'size' expansions close by, just so you can show how varied the expansions can be. I also might recommend having photocopies of some of the equipment, allies, spells, bad guys, etc. That way when you do a quick run down of the game you can point to the sheet instead of having to dig through the piles of cards looking for examples.

Keep yourself well hydrated. Don't just drink soda/energy drinks the entire time you are there. Make sure you have access to a bottle of water, juice, or something that will actually hydrate you as you go. Your vocal chords will be one of the first things to become stressed, unless you already have a job that requires lots of talking (IE: Sales Rep, Radio DJ, etc).

Have fun!!! I know it sounds stupid, but remember that you are there to have fun and that there is a good chance at least one person will come over to 'troll' you (at least I think that is what the kids are still calling it now a days). Nothing stops a troll like a smile on your face and showing that you are not being influenced by them at all.

Good Luck!
-Servo

Tuatara

Post by Tuatara » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:43 am

Sir_Servo wrote:One of the things that may, or may not, seem like a 'Duh! Why didn't I think of that' kind of thing is to make up reference cards. List out turn order, how combat works, and any other things the players may need to know. That way they have a visual reference guide in front of them and you won't have to answer the same questions a million times through out the game.
This.

Actually, most of what he said.

Actually, all of it.
My HPC2014 progress: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=6304&p=68414#p68414
"The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas." - Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World

Teddyrj

Post by Teddyrj » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:06 am

Thank Servo, your that was a 'Duh!' moment, but that's a great idea thanks guys

skars

Post by skars » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:40 am

Paint the models. It will set your talisman game apart from most.
It sounded like you wanted to do more of a talisman demo than a game. If that's the case, you should have multiple copies of the game ready to accommodate a couple games going simultaneously. If you have been playing talisman long enough you will have at least a few versions to show off as well ;)

I think for talisman, the majority of the important information is right there on the player card and it's truly not a very complicated game. Reference sheets might be helpful but you can probably make better use of the time getting those last few toads painted!

Most importantly, have fun with it
Who was that masked man?

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:31 am

skars wrote:Paint the models. It will set your talisman game apart from most.
Having something to make it "pop" is an excellent suggestion.

Sir_Servo has excellent points.

Here's another suggestion for game teaching: Start what what you need to do to win. For example "You need 20 points to win. You get points by connecting cities with rail lines, and by completing assigned routes. Here's how you play to accomplish these things....." My observation is that people connect to what the overall objective it. If you jump in with fiddly bits to start, and people can't connect them to the broader context, they can't assess how much importance to attach to each thing.
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Return to “Other Games”