Dreadson - SoB - Foot Slogging

Rules, Information, and participant threads for the 2012 Hobby Progress Challenge. This Forum is now locked as the 2013 challenge has started.
The Prophet

Re: Dreadson - SoB - Foot Slogging

Post by The Prophet » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Hope to see more in january! Use those new brushes!
Word Bearers Apocalypse Addons (HPC 2015):
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8052&p=101636#p101636

Super-Heavy Church: Vox Deorum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Eeuw3r6JfA

Dreadson

Post by Dreadson » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:27 am

Ok so I actually completed my Commitment and then a little bit more. I got 5 Storm bolters and 15 Sisters done and I actually did them to a higher standard than I normally do. Not sure what got into me but that’s what happened. It's all because of the hobby challenge, here are some pictures.

I also have a bit to say about the paint station+ pictured below. Yes without the hobby challenge I could not have gotten these models done, but without the paint station I would not have been able to either. I know you guys slammed it hard on your podcast, yes I listen. But not everyone in the world is in the same situation as you. Being married and with 2 kids under 3 I find it to be a god sent. I can keep all my stuff for a project I’m currently working on together and organized easily, break it out and be productive in the small 15 minute blocks of hobby free time that I happen to get (because of the 2 kids), and it keeps me moving forward on my hobby better than any hobby product I have ever gotten in the past. Yes it doesn't replace my hobby desk on the third floor, but if I only ever used that desk I would hardly get things done. Just remember not everyone is in the same stage of life as you are and some products may help them better than they would you. Sorry for the rant.

Commitment for February 10 Seraphim and the rest of the sisters backpacks.
Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver.

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:00 pm

I, for one, am glad to see someone got good use out of the Paint Station +. You are correct - not everyone IS in the same situation as myself - my main joke about the Paint Station was the original picture of the person working on a train with it in their lap (Trains of course rock from side to side, stop at stops, etc etc - not the ideal situation for painting.)

I guess I never thought of it as a tray which you could move around from location to location. In that aspect I could see it having some significant value.

I just never saw it as a comfortable - or even healthy - way to paint with it situated on your lap.

Do you use it on your lap when painting? Or do you use it as a mobile tray?
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

Dreadson

Post by Dreadson » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:28 pm

Ok, I will say I have not once used it to paint in my lap. I use it primarily as a mobile tray to have everything ready to go whenever I have the time to pull it out and hobby. Then back in the closet it goes when the kids get up from there naps. LoL

I meant no offence but it has really kept my hobby on track.
Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver.

Sonic Rob

Post by Sonic Rob » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:01 pm

Dreadson wrote:Ok, I will say I have not once used it to paint in my lap. I use it primarily as a mobile tray to have everything ready to go whenever I have the time to pull it out and hobby. Then back in the closet it goes when the kids get up from there naps. LoL

I meant no offence but it has really kept my hobby on track.
I think the missus would really appreciate it if my hobby were confined to the size of a paint station tray. She sometimes reminisces fondly of being able to fit a plate onto our dining room table back before the hobby progress challenge started...
Bolter marines never go out of fashion. They are the little black dress of troops choices.

Dreadson

Post by Dreadson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:48 am

Sonic Rob wrote:I think the missus would really appreciate it if my hobby were confined to the size of a paint station tray. She sometimes reminisces fondly of being able to fit a plate onto our dining room table back before the hobby progress challenge started...
Well admittedly I do have a 4 by 8 table on the 3rd floor filled with all my hobby stuff as well. The point being I can put my immediate project of 10 guys (or ladies respectively) on the station with everything I need to work on them with and have it ready to go. Then put it in a closet downstairs on the first floor. With 2 kids under 3, leaving things like this out just isn’t an option, so I can’t use the dining room table. Then when I have a 15 minute window to hobby, because again with 2 little kids I only get small hobby windows, I can whip it out on the bar and immediately start hobbying. Then when I can’t hobby any more it’s very easily back in the coat closet. Before with my big table on the 3rd floor there was so much setup time and break down time needed that I just couldn’t hobby in the little 15 minute windows I would get. On a different note it’s kind of nice to keep my current project separated from all my other shinny things vying for my attention as well, it helps keep me on track to get a specific project done because that’s what’s on the station and it’s the only thing I see. As for the paint in your Lap with the station thing, that has to be the hokiest thing I have ever seen or heard of and never will or would suggest trying it. The grooves they cut for the lap molding however do make it easy to pick up when it’s on a flat surface like a counter thou. And last thing, I got it for Christmas from a family member who wouldn’t have been able to find anything I would have liked anyway so I couldn’t complain ever if I didn’t love it. So gush over back to GW hate. Why did they kill my codec AAARRGGEEEE.

Dreadson

Post by Dreadson » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Ok so Fail February
And for March I am going to commit the 10 man seraphim squad. I know this doesn’t give me my full army needed but it’s a goal I have a chance of reaching and in the interest of keeping myself on hobby I’m committing it.

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:32 pm

Dreadson wrote:I can keep all my stuff for a project I’m currently working on together and organized easily, break it out and be productive in the small 15 minute blocks of hobby free time that I happen to get (because of the 2 kids), and it keeps me moving forward on my hobby better than any hobby product I have ever gotten in the past.
What a great strategy for getting things done with kids and other family time committements in the mix. I think I heard someone else who said they also used this idea... 8-)

Are you using the speckled spray paint for the bases? I find it's an easy, quick solution if you dont like dirt, rocks & flock.

I love Sisters, and I have a bunch of them. Great choice on colors! If I may, I'd like to suggest perhaps either using a quick dry-brush or some washes on the purple. You could use your normal base color mixed with white to get a very slight contrast on the higher points via dry-brush. Super quick (maybe 15 minutes or so ;) ) and your stuff could really pop. Just a thought.
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Dreadson

Post by Dreadson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:01 am

I’m sorry for the delay in response. Thank you very much for the feedback I don’t seem to get it often so I’m often floundering with what to do for them.

Yes I use the speckled pain for my bases; it’s a rustolium rock texture. I just don’t like dirt, rocks and flock. I have however been considering putting a rock or two with some very small patches of grass growing up from the ground.

Thank you for the suggestions. I don’t really have an experience dry brushing but I certainly can give it a shot.

Now on to the not so fun parts, family commitments came up and for some reason I can’t make myself work on the seraphim. I did get almost 2 squads of sisters done but I’m still very short from 1850. Makes me wish I had some Immolators in the mix to get my numbers up. Anyway it looks like I have 4 entries in the participation part. I know I didn’t get a lot of commitments done but thank you so much for the challenge, it got a lot more of my stuff painted then I would have otherwise.

Return to “The ICs 2012 Hobby Progress Challenge - Closed”