Grimpixel - Blood Angels

Rules, Information, and participant threads for the 2012 Hobby Progress Challenge. This Forum is now locked as the 2013 challenge has started.
Grimpixel

Grimpixel - Blood Angels

Post by Grimpixel » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:04 pm

This is my getting back into 40k list. I realize its probably not competitive or made with the best synergy. I chose the list based on getting a good understanding of the basics of 40k, its been 12 years since my last game. I also got a great deal from a friend who sold me all of his unassembled marine stuff. 80% of the list and side board are from that purchase. So it made getting ramped up less costly.

List -
HQ: Commander Dante (Models 1, 225 pts)
1 Commander Dante

: Honour Guard (Models 5, 175 pts)
1 Sanguinary Novitiate
1 Honour Guard, Flamer, Meltagun

Troops:
Tactical Squad (Models 11, 241 pts) 9 Tactical Squad, Meltagun + Sergeant
1 Sergeant
1 Rhino, Extra Armor + Searchlight

Assault Squad (Models 10, 255 pts) 8 Assault Squad, Infernus Pistol
1 Assault Marine with Meltagun, Meltagun
1 Sergeant, Infernus Pistol + Power Fist

Assault Squad (Models 10, 255 pts) 8 Assault Squad, Infernus Pistol
1 Assault Marine with Meltagun, Meltagun
1 Sergeant, Infernus Pistol + Power Fist

Death Company (Models 6, 340 pts)
1 Lemartes, Guardian of the Lost
1 Death Company, Jump Pack + Infernus Pistol
1 Death Company, Jump Pack

Sanguinary Guard (Models 5, 285 pts)
1 Sanguinary Guard, Chapter Banner + Equip Unit with Death Masks
1 Sanguinary Guard, Infernus Pistol
1 Sanguinary Guard, Infernus Pistol
1 Sanguinary Guard
1 Sanguinary Guard, Power Fist

Side Board - 580pts
Troops:
Tactical Squad (Models 11, 450 pts) 152 pts = Meltagun + Sergeant
1 Sergeant
1 Land Raider, Extra Armor + Multi-melta

Heavy Support:
Dreadnought (Models 1, 130 pts)
1 Dreadnought, Extra Armor + Heavy Flamer

I will post a detailed plan next, but my hope is actually to have the base of the list assembled very quickly. Give me some time to get a few games in under my belt and then perhaps modify the list a little bit after that.

Detailed time table to follow.

Schedule -
June-
Purchase 2x Tac Squad, 2x Assault Squads, 1x Rhino, 1x Dreadnaught, 1x Land Raider, Dante, Lemartes, 1x Sanguinary Guard, 1x Death Company, 1x Honor Guard, 50x Lava Flow Bases

Assemble 2x Tac Marine

Paint 2x Test Marine (Going to go standard Blood Angels for one and then try a grey color scheme for the other. To potentially play "Ashen Angels" Counts as Blood Angels)

July-
Purchase Forgeworld Doors & Bits

Assemble Rhino, Land Raider, Honor Guard

Paint 2x Tac Squad and bases

August-
Paint 2x Assault Squad and bases, Test Paint 1x Honor Guard Gold

September-
Paint Rhino, Paint Death Company and bases

October-
Paint Honor Guard and bases

November-
Paint Land Raider

December-
Paint Lemartes and base

January-
Paint Sanguinary Guard and bases

February-
Paint Dante and base

March-
Polish & Touch Up

*Edited to clarify selections and provide further details.
Mod: Edited to remove individual point costs
Last edited by Grimpixel on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My HPC 2014 Eldar
My New Hobby Blog - To hopefully keep my arse in gear!

your_worst_nightmare

Re: Grimpixel's Blood Angels

Post by your_worst_nightmare » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:54 pm

Looks good :) Good variety of stuff to get you back into the swing of things. It's completely up to you but I'd suggest maybe giving that Death Company the Rhino. They will survive better and be able to get up into assault with the rest of your assault units.
-Milk for the Khorne Flakes!!

Grimpixel

Post by Grimpixel » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:33 pm

Actually thanks for catching that. The Death Company has jump packs. I just forgot to add it to the entry. Which is why I mounted the tac squad in the rhino. Thanks!
My HPC 2014 Eldar

your_worst_nightmare

Post by your_worst_nightmare » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Grimpixel wrote:340: Death Company: + Lemartes All with Jumppacks, 1x Infurnus Pistol
Did look a little lean without jump packs lol :)
-Milk for the Khorne Flakes!!

Alfndrate

Post by Alfndrate » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Your point values are a little over priced. 10 Assault marines with the wargear you want is 250 points (not 255). Your Sanguinary Guard are over priced as well. They're only 260 points for what you have wargear wise. Other than that, your list looks good (i've only checked the BA specific units). Trimming your points down properly will give you an extra 35 points to spend on something (I would say wargear for the Death Company). I look forward to see another Blood Angels army.
Leaving the boards for a few days to cool off...

Grimpixel

Post by Grimpixel » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:52 pm

You know I used Army Builder to put the list together. As a side note, wow that's awesome. Seeing how tools like that have sprung up is pretty awesome. I tried to hand copy the list out of army builder, and honestly just didn't know my way around it well enough to catch everything by eyeball. Sat down tonight and figured out how to get an export of the list in a nice format.

I know we were not supposed to edit our lists for changes, but I went ahead and did an edit on the main post since really it was just clean up of the post and clarification. I did not make any revisions to the units themselves. Hope thats not a problem. I also added my schedule.
My HPC 2014 Eldar

Alfndrate

Post by Alfndrate » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:49 am

You might need to update your army builder, because I used AB, the blood angels codex and a calculator :P

When you've got Army Builder open over in the top right corner you'll see a box that says View Updates.

Click that, one of the updates at the very top of the list will say PDF Plug-in (v1.5). Click download to install that update.

Now your Army Builder will have an option under file that will let you save

Once you click that you'll have an option to "Save as PDF" it'll make a pdf document for you that you can just print out and go.

Grimpixel

Post by Grimpixel » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:31 am

Thanks man! That really helped. I edited my original post, and double checked the point cost manually against the codex. I think I should be all set.

Thanks again for helping with Army Builder!
My HPC 2014 Eldar

Alfndrate

Post by Alfndrate » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:15 am

No problem, I'm just excited to see another blood angel army get started. (We're almost identical too lol) A couple of questions: What models are you using for assault squads and your honor guard? Are you going with the Assault Squad Boxes?

Grimpixel

Post by Grimpixel » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:23 am

@Alfndrate

Haha, I looked at your list, and they are very close. You have some great additions that I would love to add over time. I kind of stuck with this base list because I scored such a good deal.

To be honest its a little hard to know what exact bits they are from. I bought the mass of the army from a friend of mine and he shipped it to me. The Assault units were clipped from the sprue already, and in zip lock bags. I went through and checked and it looks like all pieces for each squad are there, frankly even if they weren't I wouldn't complain much he essentially just made me pay for shipping. So, i think they are just standard boxed assault marines. I will try and get pictures of it this weekend.

In terms of honor guard I don't know. I am liking the idea of playing a more custom army with a grey paint scheme, and fire theme. Calling them the Ashen Angels or Angels of Ash but counts as BA. Thinking about trying to do some conversion work. Its been 12 years but I used to do allot of it. I was trying to think about how to fit that with the honor guard. Every other unit is actually pretty simple. It looks like you(Alfndrate) went with the Death Company as your honor guard. Which is really cool and as much as our list are similar I won't steal that great idea from you :lol:

Is there a good place to get Blood Angel theme bits? To be honest when I stopped playing it was the local hobby store or ordering via mail from GW. I don't think GW did web ordering when I stopped playing.
My HPC 2014 Eldar

Return to “The ICs 2012 Hobby Progress Challenge - Closed”