40k 8th: preorder 3 June, stores 17 June

General Discussion about Warhammer 40k that doesn't fit into any other category.
ruprecht

40k 8th: preorder 3 June, stores 17 June

Post by ruprecht » Tue May 23, 2017 3:43 am

Without wanting to be an immediate bummer, I've had most of my excitement for 8th come crashing down with the realisation that it seems GW will not be going all the way we hoped with free digital rules. Seems like only the "core" rules will be free, with "advanced" rules and datasheets payware only.

Still, cool models.

Adan
IC Staff

Re: 40k 8th: preorder 3 June, stores 17 June

Post by Adan » Tue May 23, 2017 1:54 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if there's an app like for AoS.
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Anubis1028

Post by Anubis1028 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:54 pm

ruprecht wrote:Without wanting to be an immediate bummer, I've had most of my excitement for 8th come crashing down with the realisation that it seems GW will not be going all the way we hoped with free digital rules. Seems like only the "core" rules will be free, with "advanced" rules and datasheets payware only.

Still, cool models.

Not a big surprise - it's exactly the same model they're using for AoS. All the rules necessary for playing a game will be free, but for the faction specific formations and such, you're going to have to get your datasheets.

captjackvane

Post by captjackvane » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:50 pm

I was hopeful for that as well, but the expectation here is limited by the fact that GW made money on Codexes and Supplements. With 40k being their "cash cow" I'm not too surprised that they decided to keep this sort of stuff behind a paywall.

Though I am hoping that with the decoupling of the rules & fluff from the indexes, the indexes will become significantly cheaper. I'll pay $20-30 a year for an updated index for my armies, instead of $60-90 for a codex or supplement.

On a slight tangent - does anyone know have they mentioned they will release updated indexes every year? One of the worst things about 7th was codex/supplement power creep. I'd love to see everything refreshed yearly at the same time...

xenite

Post by xenite » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:16 pm

If what they seem to be doing with decoupling points from the unit rules a little continues and works, I'd be happy to pick up books occasionally for new units. The freebie rules in boxes of minis is great as is obviously ones you can download for free, but I think they are still figuring that out.
My latest hobby updates:
Xenite's Painting Progress

Check out my site for hobby updates, sculpting articles, and other madness.
Little Green Monsters

Hit me up on Twitter!
@horrorshowminis

xenite

Post by xenite » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:16 pm

If what they seem to be doing with decoupling points from the unit rules a little continues and works, I'd be happy to pick up books occasionally for new units. The freebie rules in boxes of minis is great as is obviously ones you can download for free, but I think they are still figuring that out.
My latest hobby updates:
Xenite's Painting Progress

Check out my site for hobby updates, sculpting articles, and other madness.
Little Green Monsters

Hit me up on Twitter!
@horrorshowminis

Return to “40k General”