How Far Do You Travel For Games?

General Discussion about Warhammer 40k that doesn't fit into any other category.
altair

How Far Do You Travel For Games?

Post by altair » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:15 pm

Having recently moved to a new area, and being unable to find a local active club that meets regularly on weekends to play Warhammer/ AOS, I have started looking at clubs further away. To get some ideas, I am also currently re-listening to episode 95 of the IC Podcast, since its all about gaming clubs.

I'm looking at a drive of about 45 min to an hour to get to a good sized club. So I was wondering just how far are most gamers willing to travel for a game? By this I mean weekly games, and not the occasional 2 hour+ drive up to Warhammer World for the odd event or tournament!

Also if anyone knows of a good 40k club near High Wycombe (Bucks, UK) give me a shout please!

SRM

Re: How Far Do You Travel For Games?

Post by SRM » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:35 pm

When I was a teenager I lived in rural nowhere, and it was an hour drive to get to the gaming club I used to play at. I was able to get a bunch of my friends from high school into the game, which made gaming locally much more doable, but almost every week I'd find my way up to the club.

I now live in a city and I was going to a game club once a week before they dissolved - it ended up being about a half hour to 45 minute cab ride over there, and if I want to get to my local Warhammer store that's about an hour on the bus. I also play at a few friends' places, some nearby and some more than an hour away.

I'd say an hour is about acceptable so long as you plan on spending a fair amount of time there. I also flew from the US to Warhammer World back in April for a few games though, so what do I know :D
Check out my Youtube channel!

Berman

Post by Berman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:01 am

Fortunately I found a gaming group were I moved to. Have 4-5 guys and we play at a couple of houses. We only play once a month or two. More in the summer less now that it's winter/holidays.

However for events I travel to a game store that is about 1.5 to 1.75 hours away. Makes for a hell of a long day, but I only go maybe 2-3 times a year.

altair

Post by altair » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:34 pm

SRM wrote:I'd say an hour is about acceptable so long as you plan on spending a fair amount of time there. I also flew from the US to Warhammer World back in April for a few games though, so what do I know :D
I have found 2 groups near London that meet up on weekends, about an hour's drive from my place so I will try pop over there when I get a free weekend.
Berman wrote:Fortunately I found a gaming group were I moved to. Have 4-5 guys and we play at a couple of houses. We only play once a month or two. More in the summer less now that it's winter/holidays.

However for events I travel to a game store that is about 1.5 to 1.75 hours away. Makes for a hell of a long day, but I only go maybe 2-3 times a year.
I used to live in a house with 2 other gamers, never had a problem finding games then...Some local gamers would be ideal but no-one I know around here games, sucks having to move across the country for work sometimes! Really could do with getting on side with some of guys in the local GW but its rather small and there doesn't seem to be many pick up games there.

Warhammer world is only 2 hours drive away for me. I have been twice last year with friends, but this year I may look at entering some of their new events and tournaments.

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:47 am

My current weekly game store is 45 mins away.

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:30 pm

When going to a game store - the closest (Game Kastle - Santa Clara) is about 25 min from my house. Though I tend not to play at that one. Another one (Game Kastle - Mountain View) is quite a bit nicer but about 40min from my place, BUT it is about 10 min from my work.

Endgame Oakland is about an hour or so from my house and the nicest in the area. I rarely travel there for games though.
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:10 am

... I drive 6 hours for games sometimes. But that's really unusual.

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Endgame - 30-35 minutes
Game Kastle Mountain View - 1.5 hours
Morgan Hill (playing/recording) - 1.5 - 2 hrs
Heretic Games - 1.25 hours

Black Diamond Games is about 20 minutes away but I don't believe I've ever played 40K there.
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

ajg6116
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character gender: Male
WoW character level: 100
WoW character guild: Imperium

Post by ajg6116 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:34 am

I am actually pretty fortunate for living in the rural backwards state of Maine I have the option of two games stores to play at one being 22 minutes away from my new home and the other being 23 minutes away.
The first being Crossroad Games. The second being The Complex.

Crossroads is definitely a strong wargaming shop with tons of table space and excellent terrain. where the Complex is more of a mixed bag with a little bit of space to play wargames, Lots of space for card games or board games. Both are excellent stores and I highly recommend them. If you are ever in the State of Maine.

Return to “40k General”