How do you build your army?

General Discussion about Warhammer 40k that doesn't fit into any other category.
Grots Life

How do you build your army?

Post by Grots Life » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:48 pm

Just curious, when you start a new army, or even add to your existing army, what method do you use to go about doing it? Do you start with a list and build to that list or go all in on every single unit type? I prefer to have a deep unit pool to draw from. That's mostly because I'm a collector before gamer. It's nice to have a huge selection of models to choose from, but at the same time, it can be an expensive way to go.

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Re: How do you build your army?

Post by cvtuttle » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:34 pm

I tend to make a list and then build towards that list. Then somewhere along the line I lose sight of my original plan...
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:07 am

I tend to buy by rule of cool to start with, but ensuring I have enough to field a basic army. Then just sort of continue like that.
For example, when starting my 30k Salamanders army this time last year, I got 20 MKIII marines, 20 MKIII breachers, a few contemptors and kit bashed a Praetor. Now standing at 9k's worth of Sallies I can run most list styles i'd want to with them lol.
HH Salamanders Hobby Challenge 2016
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8655

EverRaven

Post by EverRaven » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:04 am

How do I build my army lists? Well... My first army I built from a proposed 2000 point list. I made the list, proxied it a few times - then bought what I needed. Since then, my group has done mostly escalation league stuff - so I build the army as we progress.

Now, how do I collect my armies is totally different... and rather silly, honestly. I've collected dark angels models for years - I have quite a few that I haven't ever put paint too.. but will "someday" - I picked up the Prospero box because I wanted to paint the Sisters and Adeptus models... And, I've been REALLY lucky and had friends give me models as they leave the hobby. I have about 1000 points of bikes (and white scars) unpainted, 2000 points of unpainted Black Templars, a few hundred points of Space Wolves (and tons of bits for them).... and then there was the guy that had purchased about 3000 points of 30k space marines... and his wife told him they had to go. They are probably my next painting project.

It really depends on what aspect of the hobby you love - if you are like me and love the painting, you collect what you want to paint primarily. But for someone just getting into the game? I'd recommend playing a few games before you invest lots of cash. Find what works for your playstyle - then build a list gradually... it can be VERY intimidating having 2000 points of unpainted minis staring you in the face...

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:24 am

I build armies like I eat. I have periods of dieting and periods of horrible binging. I do a mixture of buying what is good and what looks cool. Often times, I do have a specific narrative in mind.

Starting with a core of troops and a warlord who excites you is rarely a bad plan, especially with all the great Getting Started boxes GW has now.

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:43 pm

I buy whatever looks cool or catches my eye. Then I sign up for a tournament which forces me to figure out list and end up adding some more units. Probably the ones I should have picked up in the first place.

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:21 pm

:D

victorpofa

Post by victorpofa » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:31 pm

I tend to buy way too much especially when a deal is in the offering. Then I make a list and build to the list. Afterwards I add on what I think would be good or look nice painted up. This next year will be the latter as I add to my Iron Warriors that I painted as part of a Hobby challenge back in 2013.
The Elder Party
Cthulhu/Nyrlathotep in '20
Why Settle For A Lesser Evil?

IntotheGloam

Post by IntotheGloam » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:59 pm

I try to balance between the units I think are cool and the units I need to run the formation I want. I've also tried to be conscious about not being "that guy". I'm somewhat new to the hobby and have been a little concerned that while the Tau are what I enjoy aesthetically I may have a problem finding people who will enjoy playing against me!

For that reason I have resolved to field only 1 riptide (I think monstrous units look cooler when you only have 1) and to go ahead and use pathfinders with 3 rail rifles despite marker drones doing their job more efficiently because Pathfinders are awesome.

Lastly I'm planning on converting some Astra Militarum into 4 Gue'vesa'la and 1 Gue'vesa'ui (human auxiliary troops/sergeant) because it fits my armies back story, and might encourage others to enjoy playing me more.

Great question! Thanks!

Return to “40k General”