Starting Dark Eldar?

General Discussion about Warhammer 40k that doesn't fit into any other category.
Lokil

Starting Dark Eldar?

Post by Lokil » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:08 pm

Hey fellow nerds,

I'm very much debating starting Dark Eldar. I am painfully aware that the army does very poorly on the tabletop right now but I really like the models...

Thing is I mostly paint these days with very few instances of playing even though playing is still the overall goal.

Should I wait until they get a rework/new codex or should I just dive in and have a painted army ready to go when they are redone??

This wouldn't happen this year anyway but earliest January 2017.

Any advice on how you guys approach this kind of urge would be welcome!

Thanks!

Malahat Mike

Re: Starting Dark Eldar?

Post by Malahat Mike » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:52 pm

Sharing stuff from Facebook is weird on an older style forum. Anyways, check out Evil Space Elves' recent podcast episode where they're talking about making Dark Eldar work in the current state of 40K. That might give you the info you need to decide if you want to jump into challenging yet rewarding army.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... 917440655&

Or direct link to their Libsyn site.

SRM

Post by SRM » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:02 pm

Dark Eldar have a gorgeous model range, and you should always choose an army based on their appearance. If you don't like the look of them, it'll be a lot harder to motivate yourself to paint them! Dark Eldar can do just fine so long as you're not playing hardcore tournaments or whatever.
Check out my Youtube channel!

Capnpetey

Post by Capnpetey » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:27 pm

As a long time player who has had many armies, I'm loving my DE. I've had Craftworld and DE in pay editions as well as space wolves and tau.
The DE model range is fantastic and supports a great range of painting skill and style. From clean and crisp vehicles and cabal warriors to meaty coven to blood soaked wyches. There is so much room to make the army your own while still staying completely within cannon.

On the tabletop they are more challenging to play than most other factions. There are units and formations that can work devistatingly well like the corpsetheif claw. Units that will almost always surprise your opponent with their effectiveness and flexibility like reaver jetbikes. And units that are arguably the worst in the game, even though the models are really cool looking (i really wish that mandrakes didn't blow quite so hard). The flip side of the coin here is that you can usually catch a random opponent off guard, as DE aren't nearly as common of am army on the tabletop, and commonly considered a weaker faction.

Dark Kin will give you the opportunity to really expand your painting and playing capabilities, and you get to play Eldar and still keep your friends!

Lokil

Post by Lokil » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:03 am

These are some great suggestions! I'm listening to the podcast right now. I agree that the model range is beautiful! Now I really have to finish my Crimson Fists so that my wife doesn't give me "that look" hahahaha...

I would much rather be the guy you can play a fun game against with my Dark Eldar then be the guy that does all the newest OP Space Marine things :)

Also I believe that Dark Eldar would play significantly different than my Marines so it would be a great 2nd army.

Is the start collecting box any good? I know its a good deal $$ wise but are the included units a good starting point? A lot of netlists seem to favor venoms over the raider.

To start with I think I would prefer a core of warriors and venoms etc. A more traditional dark eldar army as a core. Then expand into the coven. Does that makes sense? I guess the podcast might answer some of my questions as well!

Again thanks for all the advice! Im thinking about a bone color scheme but I also like the way the chelldar look :) I think that would be a good look for Dark Eldar too.

Regards,

Lokil

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:05 pm

I know Skari uses a lot of Raiders. They can be useful. They're not the best units but there's no duds either. I'd say start with a Venom and a unit of Kabalites and when you want to expand pick up that box. I wouldn't recommend the Chaos Space Marine starter box

Capnpetey

Post by Capnpetey » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:44 am

I don't dislike the start collecting formation. To me the tax is having to take an archon, which I would normally not have done. But nominating a unit to have preferred enemy on is pretty good. If you wanted to add to the formation, you could bump the squad size and take two heavy weapons on foot, or take a min size squad as trueborn with lots of firepower and give them a venom as a dedicated transport. Run the Archon in the raider joined to another squad of trueborn (sslyth or Grotesques might be good here to but would get a bit harder on the wallet) to be able to grant them preferred enemy as well.

Lokil

Post by Lokil » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:19 am

Good tips, good tips!

Wallet shouldn't be an issue since this would be my 2nd army and I will just buy them as I paint them. A fully kitted out start collecting set would be around 500pts no? Archon with court in venom, trueborn in venom, plus random raider... and 3 or more bikes.

Does the line of sight from the archon count from the open topped venom or does he have to be outside of his transport?

Capnpetey

Post by Capnpetey » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:48 pm

I dug into the wording a bit deeper. You would not be able to take a court, as they are not an upgrade for the Archon but a unit purchased separately. But it wouldn't matter anyway as the Archon is not granted preferred enemy, just the other units in the formation. And he cannot currently draw line of sight from inside an open topped vehicle. (The rules only specify that you may do so for shooting)

But definitely take a couple Venoms as dedicated transports for the Archon and the trueborn and definitely take more bikes.

Return to “40k General”