GW Prices...

General Discussion about Warhammer 40k that doesn't fit into any other category.
Dogberry1982

GW Prices...

Post by Dogberry1982 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:46 am

Is it just me or have they been scaling back on their prices recently?

Specifically the Adeptus Mechanicus stuff seems cheaper than anything they have released recently.

The Skatarii rangers are $39 for a 10 model dual kit with lots of weapons...
The Ruststalkers are $49 for a 5 man unit of 40mm base guys.. also a dual kit.

The walkers seem a little high for the points cost, but compared to other walkers they aren't.

Then you look at the new cult mechanicus stuff....
The Kastelan kit is $69 for an HQ type model and 2 dreadnaught sized guys who have multiple weapons...
The new Kataphron kit is very much equivalent to the Space Marine Centurions and it costs $20 less?

I know this is not 100% consistent, but it seems to be the general trend.

I have never complained about GW prices because you don't HAVE to buy them. However, there was a period of time where some of the kits seemed WAY too expensive for what you were getting, and I think that really hurt their business.

Is this a sign of things to come? Only time will tell....

Adan
IC Staff

Re: GW Prices...

Post by Adan » Thu May 21, 2015 8:41 pm

Dogberry1982 wrote:Is this a sign of things to come? Only time will tell....
Hope springs eternal...
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

frutescent

Post by frutescent » Sat May 23, 2015 8:52 pm

I can't really speak to the international scene, but I have noticed that comparative prices have come down here in Australia. It used to be that (once you factored in a discount) you could order minis from the US and have them delivered to your door in Oz for literally half the price of buying them here (at one point it was cheaper to order Tau battlesuits from Forgeworld than to buy them from the local GW). These days, after delivery, you barely save anything doing that, and it's not just because of the exchange rate.

This is really just for minis, though. The rule books are still hugely more expensive for us with a standard codex creeping up towards the hundred dollar mark.

I've been surprised by the "affordability" of a few kits lately, the AdMech among them. For me the biggest surprises were the Fantasy End Times kits. They cost a chunk of change, but were significantly bigger and shinier than kits priced not that far below them. Look at the new Imperial Knight kit - it costs less than two boxes of Centurions and is a whole lot bigger/prettier.

Americanzero

Post by Americanzero » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Bet then you have the new assault squad box that is more expensive than the VanVet squad. It sometimes seems that within GW the right hand and left hand operate independently and with different agendas.

Gigantor

Post by Gigantor » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:59 pm

Americanzero wrote:Bet then you have the new assault squad box that is more expensive than the VanVet squad. It sometimes seems that within GW the right hand and left hand operate independently and with different agendas.
I'm not sure about where you live,but in Canada the assault squad is $1 cheaper.

I think that the prices have been reigned in a bit,but more than that,the value has increased with quality and extra bits at a new all time high. I have very little to complain about these days other than lack of time and money to work on all the awesome projects that I have on the go.
Paint for the Paint God!!
Brushes for his Throne!!
Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint.

Americanzero

Post by Americanzero » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:25 pm

I'm in the US. Last I looked at it, the VanVet squad was $40 and the assault squad was $41. It's more the point that it went up by $6 with nothing but somewhat new sculpts and a few weapon options.

Incarnet

Post by Incarnet » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:56 am

Americanzero wrote:I'm in the US. Last I looked at it, the VanVet squad was $40 and the assault squad was $41. It's more the point that it went up by $6 with nothing but somewhat new sculpts and a few weapon options.
It's the cost of the plastic required to render that truly epic forehead of the squad's sergeant! :shock:

In all seriousness, I think Gigantor is right that the quality has certainly increased and additional weapon options feels like a value add to me (not all additional items feel that way for me, the Scion sprue adds felt like a net loss of value for example).

The problem is that when I compare the new assault kit with the current tactical squad or BA tactical kit, which are the same cost, I am left scratching my head.

Either GW is undercosting the tactical kits, something I consider very unlikely, or the assault kits are significantly (close to doubly) overcosted for what they include (to be fair, I assume the extra price us from the assumption that less people will purchase them than tacticals so they need a higher price point to return the mold/production costs - which is silly considering they could simply make them good and more widely availible thus eliminating the problem).

At least it's not the 2x+ price increase Dire Avengers and Imperial Guard suffered... I still refuse to buy those kits on principal.

Americanzero

Post by Americanzero » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:46 am

I think they are very overcosted now. I mean really, I could buy a space wolf squad and two blisters of jump packs for what, $55 retail? Then with a little sanding and cutting I have a 10 man squad for 2/3 of the price, plus extr bits for later.

My marine army is Blood Angels, so those assault squads are important. Between the angel intervention force and my normal CAD slots, I can lay down 50 assault marines. But at $41 a squad that becomes silly quickly! I guess I'm just glad that I have a good bunch of them already.

Gigantor

Post by Gigantor » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:42 am

Americanzero wrote:I think they are very overcosted now. I mean really, I could buy a space wolf squad and two blisters of jump packs for what, $55 retail? Then with a little sanding and cutting I have a 10 man squad for 2/3 of the price, plus extr bits for later.

My marine army is Blood Angels, so those assault squads are important. Between the angel intervention force and my normal CAD slots, I can lay down 50 assault marines. But at $41 a squad that becomes silly quickly! I guess I'm just glad that I have a good bunch of them already.
Well I think we've driven the point into the ground about that specific box already. As a standard though, prices have stayed the same or with some decreases and it's a really refreshing change of pace. And as I said before, the extra bits in each kit are a good value especially if you have old marines and want to change the arms or have a cool conversion idea with skaven and skittarii. It sure beats annual price increases.
Paint for the Paint God!!
Brushes for his Throne!!
Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint.

mattyg

Post by mattyg » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:23 pm

Yeah I'm in the same thinking you can not complain about the quality of the sprues at the moment
What people I play with drag it back to in 98 when I started playing you used to be able to get a tactical squad for ten pounds/15 US funny money
But comparing this with the latest one is like comparing a really amazingly hot women with a pig
The only issues in having with the new marine sprues is that I've had to go out and buy more bits boxes and plastic bags to keep all the extra bits in as it goes against my OCD to throw anything away
Matt
Kyiv, Ukraine.
40K Armies - SM(White Scars),DeathWatch, Eldar & Imperial Knights
30k - World Eaters & Alpha legion

Painting and Hobby blog:
http://mattdoeshobbyandpainting.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to “40k General”