40K Axioms

General Discussion about Warhammer 40k that doesn't fit into any other category.
Adan
IC Staff

Re: 40K Axioms

Post by Adan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:53 am

Fomite wrote:Never underestimate 6's to wound.
Added
BigMek wrote:Painted models fight better.
Paraphrased. ;)
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Cieged

Post by Cieged » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:32 pm

Adan wrote:...Your opponent will miss their shot against you or they won't make their save against your hit when there are arguments about terrain.
Hah. I remember I had a similar experience to this. I was playing drop pod Salamanders, Tactical squads had a Multi-Melta so they were snap shooting on the turn of entry. I had a number of these squads, so in order to save time I would grab two dice to shoot with rather than one and say something along the lines, "Melta snap shot with immediate reroll" fishing for the sixes with Vulkans' Master Crafted bonus.

One opponent stopped me dead in my tracks the first time I did it. He threw a fit about how he was tired of players cutting corners and adding difficulty to a simple concept thus demanding I reroll the whole event.

So I did.

Resulted in an explosion.

Haha.

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:49 pm

Cieged wrote:One opponent stopped me dead in my tracks the first time I did it. He threw a fit about how he was tired of players cutting corners and adding difficulty to a simple concept thus demanding I reroll the whole event.
I guess I'm just too dense, even though I started my college career in a major called "Engineering Mathematics/Mathematical Statistics".

I read where people insist the odds are different if you roll two dice at once... It makes no sense to me. If one of the two dice is a 6, who cares if it would have been your first or your second? If neither is a 6, you don't hit and if both are 6s, you don't hit twice... I don't get it.
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Incarnet

Post by Incarnet » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:41 pm

Adan wrote:
Cieged wrote:One opponent stopped me dead in my tracks the first time I did it. He threw a fit about how he was tired of players cutting corners and adding difficulty to a simple concept thus demanding I reroll the whole event.
I guess I'm just too dense, even though I started my college career in a major called "Engineering Mathematics/Mathematical Statistics".

I read where people insist the odds are different if you roll two dice at once... It makes no sense to me. If one of the two dice is a 6, who cares if it would have been your first or your second? If neither is a 6, you don't hit and if both are 6s, you don't hit twice... I don't get it.
Depends on how it is done and what the circumstances are. If the number on the die has an effect in addition to the weapon hitting or not (rending, tesla, etc) than you need to roll them one at a time or accept never having the rule take effect (otherwise you have shifted the odds from 1/6 to 1/3). If the roll purely determines whether it hits or not than rolling both at once has no effect as far as I can see.

So, if your "fishing for 6s" you might be cheating. If your just trying to see if you hit or not than feel free.

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:16 pm

I hate people insisting on rolling one save at a time because they think the odds are better. The only way they would be better is if you're cheating with clever palm rolling.

This frustrated me so much that I actually added a houserule for the events I run that if your opponent asks you to use the "fast dice" method from the rulebook, then you must do so.

We are staying off topic though.

Return to “40k General”