Pathfinders loadout

Children of the Greater Good.
RichH1

Pathfinders loadout

Post by RichH1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:49 am

Torn on how to equip my pathfinders and squad sizing.

Do I stick 10 man and just use them to throw 10 m/l's on a unit?

Do I split to 2x5man squads and utilise one of them for railguns, or for ion guns while using the other as firing out the m/l's?

Do I split to 2x5man and have them both firing out the m/ls?

Or a mix?!

So many decisions!

RichH1

Re: Pathfinders loadout

Post by RichH1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:00 am

Does no one have any help for me?!

Also, on a separate note, how do people find Piranhas? I used 2 against tyranids last week and was impressed by the speed and damage output against their troops, I'm gonna try a larger squad next time and see how that fares

Brother Demetrius

Post by Brother Demetrius » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:24 pm

Well it depends on what you already have and what you use your Pathfinders for/want them to do. Since I already had two full squads made out of Fire Warriors at the time I just used the new box set to get the special weapons, drones, and made some Pathfinder Shas'ui models.
I would say that if you don't already have a full squad of Markerlights then maybe stick with them as Markerlights really boost the army. If you have enough Markerlights (even then you still need/want more lol) then make the special weapons as you can get all six out of one kit.
Make Peace or DIE!!

MasterCraft

Post by MasterCraft » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:57 pm

Because the pathfinders seem to be the cheapest way to get marker lights I would just equip them with marker lights. The special weapons they have are cool but you can't field enough to make them effective. IMO

RichH1

Post by RichH1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:12 am

MasterCraft wrote:Because the pathfinders seem to be the cheapest way to get marker lights I would just equip them with marker lights. The special weapons they have are cool but you can't field enough to make them effective. IMO
Would you split into two units of 5 or keep one 10 man squad so as to get more markerlight coverage on a couple of units rather than all on one?

ElectricPaladin

Post by ElectricPaladin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:04 am

In my mind, it depends on what the pathfinders are for.

You've got your pathfinder commandos. As many bodies as you can afford (though minimum is fine) and all three special weapons plus the drones (pulse accelerator only if you have a sufficient number of carbines - skip it if you've got mostly ion/rail rifles), possibly in a devilfish with the giant drone. Maybe EMP grenades. This squad is aggressive. Their job is to run up and attack hard targets, using the recon drone to call in a targeted battlesuit strike.

Then you've got your markerlight platform. You want as many bodies as possible and no special weapons (because they lose their markerlights). No devilfish, because embarking and disembarking is a waste of time. Probably no recon drone, because you don't want to play them aggressively, so chances are good that the drone won't be in a position to aid you. The other special drones? If you've got the points and think they'll come in handy. Their job is to scout move into a likely spot - probably a ruin, forest, or other good terrain - and then support the rest of your cadre, only moving if there's nothing around for them to light up.

Could you theoretically have a squad that does both? Yes... technically. A commando squad with enough bodies could also mark up targets effectively. The trouble is, though that the heavy weapons want to run up aggressively while the markerlights want to be static. You can kit them out for both, but they're hard to use that way.

RichH1

Post by RichH1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:14 pm

ElectricPaladin wrote:In my mind, it depends on what the pathfinders are for.

You've got your pathfinder commandos. As many bodies as you can afford (though minimum is fine) and all three special weapons plus the drones (pulse accelerator only if you have a sufficient number of carbines - skip it if you've got mostly ion/rail rifles), possibly in a devilfish with the giant drone. Maybe EMP grenades. This squad is aggressive. Their job is to run up and attack hard targets, using the recon drone to call in a targeted battlesuit strike.

Then you've got your markerlight platform. You want as many bodies as possible and no special weapons (because they lose their markerlights). No devilfish, because embarking and disembarking is a waste of time. Probably no recon drone, because you don't want to play them aggressively, so chances are good that the drone won't be in a position to aid you. The other special drones? If you've got the points and think they'll come in handy. Their job is to scout move into a likely spot - probably a ruin, forest, or other good terrain - and then support the rest of your cadre, only moving if there's nothing around for them to light up.

Could you theoretically have a squad that does both? Yes... technically. A commando squad with enough bodies could also mark up targets effectively. The trouble is, though that the heavy weapons want to run up aggressively while the markerlights want to be static. You can kit them out for both, but they're hard to use that way.
Thanks for this, really useful tactics! I think I'll experiment with a squad of each and see how that works out

MasterCraft

Post by MasterCraft » Thu May 01, 2014 5:45 am

RichH1 wrote:
MasterCraft wrote:Because the pathfinders seem to be the cheapest way to get marker lights I would just equip them with marker lights. The special weapons they have are cool but you can't field enough to make them effective. IMO
Would you split into two units of 5 or keep one 10 man squad so as to get more markerlight coverage on a couple of units rather than all on one?
If model count wasn't a problem Ideally I would have 2 squads of 6 marker lights.

TipTop1987

Post by TipTop1987 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:09 am

A style of set up that I've been considering for running Pathfinders is to take the minimum squad, three of the Ion/Rail rifles, a Shas'ui and load them up with as many useful Drones as you can take. With only taking the four Pathfinders, and 4-to-5 Drones, you boost their majority Toughness to 4, making them just slightly harder to wound. Could work well as a commando style like Electric was suggesting. If you threw in an Ethereal with two more Gun Drones, you could take 1-to-2 more Pathfinders to get better use out of the Pulse accelerator and give the unit more shots at half range (Which is now 12" instead of 9") or FNP 6+ for more fire power and survivability, or Stubborn to keep them from running away.

If you run it this way, though, just make sure you position the models so that the Pathfinders with only Pulse carbines are taken first to keep that majority Toughens, and that the Ethereal is some where in the middle so he doesn't get taken out too quickly. Keeping the Shas'ui alive for the purpose of accepting challenges might be a good idea, too. A Devilfish might be useful as well for this load out to get them into position quickly.
Winning is optional, fun Is mandatory.

cicero

Post by cicero » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:23 am

TipTop1987 wrote:A style of set up that I've been considering for running Pathfinders is to take the minimum squad, three of the Ion/Rail rifles, a Shas'ui and load them up with as many useful Drones as you can take. With only taking the four Pathfinders, and 4-to-5 Drones, you boost their majority Toughness to 4, making them just slightly harder to wound. Could work well as a commando style like Electric was suggesting. If you threw in an Ethereal with two more Gun Drones, you could take 1-to-2 more Pathfinders to get better use out of the Pulse accelerator and give the unit more shots at half range (Which is now 12" instead of 9") or FNP 6+ for more fire power and survivability, or Stubborn to keep them from running away.

If you run it this way, though, just make sure you position the models so that the Pathfinders with only Pulse carbines are taken first to keep that majority Toughens, and that the Ethereal is some where in the middle so he doesn't get taken out too quickly. Keeping the Shas'ui alive for the purpose of accepting challenges might be a good idea, too. A Devilfish might be useful as well for this load out to get them into position quickly.
I think sniper drone teams do the same thing, with the advantage of also having stealth and BS5 on the markerlights.
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

Return to “Tau”