New to Demons - hard 1850

Doom given form.
Andrew B
Commander

Re: New to Demons - hard 1850

Post by Andrew B » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:01 am

I am not a huge fan of the Tzeentch heralds...they play like my bikes, hence their inclusion, but they do very little. In my 3 games with them they have punked an entire bike squad, killed a few marines and gaked an ork truck and a few Killa kans. Now that may seem like a lot, but for 110 points per I could have 2 MM attack bikes that would do even more...that is if I were playing marines. I think I want to play 2 and take a greater daemon with my other slot. Maybe a great unclean one.

The daemons troops do nothing for me and it kind of makes me cry as I want to love and enjoy playing the basic rank and file soldiers. Plague bearers are great at scoring, but not much else. They are durable, but that is about it unless fielded in great numbers. My horrors were decent but they are fragile and tend to miss with they BS 3 shooting. I will have to play them better and/or let them grow on me.

The fiends were rad and I need to learn how to play the Crushers, but when placed correctly they are solid as well. All in all I think I might continue to proxy my Kroot as daemons, thanks for the help.

Bogie

Post by Bogie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:18 pm

I am new to playing Demons, so tell me, is this a standard list? Is this the only way to win with Demons, taking so many redundant HQ choices? I am not bashing, not at all. I am just wondering if this is a list that would be acceptable in a tournament. I went out and bought one of every unit to try them, but this list makes me think I made a mistake.

Andrew B wrote:New take on daemons post grey knights.

HQ
110: Tzentch Herald on chariot: Bolt/We are legion/Master of sorcery

Elites
190: 6 Fiends: Might
190: 6 Fiends: Might
280: 6 Blood Crushers: Icon/Fury/Instrument

Troops
95: 5 Horrors: Bolt
100: 5 Horrors: Changling/Bolt
75: 5 Plague Bearers
75: 5 Plague Bearers

Fast
195: 13 Khorne Hounds

Heavy
160: Tzeentch Daemon Prince: Bolt/Breath
160: Tzeentch Daemon Prince: Bolt/Breath

Thinking:
HQs: they drop S8,AP1 shots from 24 away and hit a different target with 3 S5,AP3 shells. They zoom around 12 inches avoiding combat as they totally suck and simply jack up transports and infantry.

Elites: jack up transports and infantry move fast to grab units for Crushers. Crushers lock down the middle and assault as much as possible. Icon beams in new daemons as needed.

Troops: Cheapish bolts (S8,AP1) and score when possible. When they don't need to bolt a vehicle they shell infantry with warp fire. Changeling is annoying and a given at 5 points. Plague Bearers are they just to score.

Fast: Beasts designed to gimp Grey Knights (2+ INV vs. Force weapons!) and assault to tie up enemy to allow fiends or Crushers to do real damage, that way I don't need grenades.

Heavy: shoot and assault. 4+ INV is decent and will draw fire. Breath is my answer to Killy units while bolt is there as they approach.

Here is how I would split them:

Wave one:
Herald
Fiends
Crushers
Horrors w/ Changling
Plague Bearers
Khorne Hounds
Daemon Prince

Wave Two:
Herald
Herald
Fiends
Horrors
Plague Bearers
Daemons Prince

Hopefully I will play this on Friday, but I would love your feedback.

skars

Post by skars » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:37 pm

I don't think there is any one "right" way to play daemons, but there are certainly a lot of options at your disposal. I personally prefer to tailor my lists to fit thematically along with the fluff leaning toward monotheistic armies, but the codex is designed to support a combination as well like you ahve here. There are a few threads documenting the progression of my Khornate Daemon list and it has been a blast to play.

This list is really emphasizing the quickness and shock value of the fiends with the resilience of the bloodcrushers and plague bearers. Plenty of support as well from the Tzeentch elements.
Who was that masked man?

Kalivos

Post by Kalivos » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:02 am

My wife plays daemons has had pretty good success. She runs Fateweaver death star, where she drops Kairos, blood letters (with Skulltaker), and blood crushers around eachother so they benefit from the re-rolling of saves, along with the shooting attacks Kairos provides, as well as having a monstrous creature with you. She also has 2 soul grinders (adding much needed heavy blasts that daemons need), a unit of pink horrors, and flamers. I also believe she takes screamers for tank hunting around turn 3, if she has it her way, heh.

I like your list, but I would say drop a unit of fiends for a unit of 3 flamers, they are excellent with a 4++ as well as a template attack that wounds on 4+ and ignores armor saves. Since they are jump infantry it isn't a huge deal if they scatter away some. I wouldn't get vary attached to them though, once you flame down a squad of something, they are going to be huge targets, but because of their invuln, they're surprisingly hardy. I'd also say drop plaguebearers for Bloodletters, they are a better than Plaguebeares in close combat, and I typically find that their Feel No Pain is not a good trade off for Power Weapons. One unit might be good to 'tar pit' things. Your mileage may vary though. I cannot stress the importance of blood crushers though. Overall a good list. :)
"It was simply a matter of outsmarting them...so I sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they each hit their preset kill limit and self-destructed." - Zapp Brannigan

Bogie

Post by Bogie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:17 pm

Fateweaver deathstar? What is that? I get a kick out of all these internet nicknames, LOL. I have to see if i can come up with one....

I like doing theme armies too, but one thing I am not into is the spamming of armies. Spamming takes out all the fun of learning how to use your army.

Tim Schmidt

Post by Tim Schmidt » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:04 pm

I know it's old but, meh. Fate Weaver death star is where you put Fate Weaver in the middle of a hoard of monstrous creatures. His powers let them do cool things (not sure how much to post and NOT make GW come gun me down in my home).

I am a fan of plague bearers, they slow and purposeful means you HAVE to put them where you want them the first time. I normally run more than just 5, but I also use a chaos icon (or two) to keep the drift down to a minimum (my local games stores use a LOT of terrain and I normally get deep strike mishaps all the time haha).

I also like to run two soul grinders and one Nurgle demon prince kitted out pretty expensive. Also a Great Unclean One makes his appearance. I'd not want to run just one soul grinder as the large model normally draws a LOT of fire just from sheer presence alone. Two soul grinders and two monstrous creatures tend to make people stop and think for a bit.

I'd say play a proxy game or two and then start buying as these larger models aren't exactly cheap.

narceron

Post by narceron » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:26 am

a kroot proxy army? very interesting.

I just came off a year in Daemons, and I have to say, redundancy is awesome. For the longest time I was putting my flamers down and my plaguebearers in first wave, then dropping myheavy hitters in the 2nd, but I kept flipping them on the roll, :(

So now, my list is like this (Mono Khorne Tuttle style)

Bloodthirster with might and blessings x2

3 flamers x3 (this unit is always a winner, btw)

14 plague bearers, banner,

8 bloodletters x2

7 nuglings

Khorne Daemon prince with wings, BOK, x2

As you see, I can pretty much split the army down the middle and while one wave is better to go first(2 flamer units!), either one can pretty much hold its own.

skars

Post by skars » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:44 am

narceron wrote:a kroot proxy army? very interesting.

I just came off a year in Daemons, and I have to say, redundancy is awesome. For the longest time I was putting my flamers down and my plaguebearers in first wave, then dropping myheavy hitters in the 2nd, but I kept flipping them on the roll, :(

So now, my list is like this (Mono Khorne Tuttle style)

Bloodthirster with might and blessings x2

3 flamers x3 (this unit is always a winner, btw)

14 plague bearers, banner,

8 bloodletters x2

7 nuglings

Khorne Daemon prince with wings, BOK, x2

As you see, I can pretty much split the army down the middle and while one wave is better to go first(2 flamer units!), either one can pretty much hold its own.
Ahem mono-khorne daemon armies don't have any of those mamby pamby tzeentch/nurgle units and what self respecting khornate army left the bloodcrushers at home?...blood for the blood god. I found that bringing the big boys in the first wave was the best course of action. Maximize the amount of time they are on the table. Then, bring in all the troops to clean up.
Who was that masked man?

Return to “Daemons”