180 Fiends (6) stock
75 Plague Unit (5) stock

75 Plague Unit (5) stock
75 Plague Unit (5) stock
75 Plague Unit (5) stock
215 Demon Prince Wings, Iron Hide, MoNurgle, Flies, 2+ poison

preferred wave is the first set of demons while my second wave will be nurgled out.

I have fiends & heralds on tank patrol & princes/great unclean one and remaining fiends on infantry crack down. I am a bit worried that I only have 20 troops in 4 squads, but they are T5 FNP'ed troops, however, that can only take you so far. I will have to protect them by dropping them behind my nasties and go the ground when appropriate.

Would this list scare you?
Where am I lacking?
What improvements if any would you make?

paranoia

Re: New to Demons - hard 1850

Post by paranoia » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:20 pm

I thought it was thought that when you go nurgle heavy in CD that epidemus is preffered unless your metagame has a bunch of nurgle CSM out there.

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:29 pm

Wait a minute... since when did you start doing Daemons!? Good lord you are jumping armies faster than Geoff!
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

Andrew B
Commander

Post by Andrew B » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:33 pm

I played them with my kroot this weekend. They were fun, but very fragile. I played against another demons player (mono khorne) and a space marine player. They did well against both mainly because of the high I and attacks of the fiends. They are really solid. I need more bodies though and I cannot reliably crack armor 14. I think I will stick to my marines for now, but will need to decide what I will take to the grand waag soon. I recently signed up after pacificon stopped offering 40k. I was considering them because they are so rarely fielded and I have a good counts as option in the kroot.

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:24 am

That's a pretty cool way to proxy them in and see if you like them though.
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

Andrew B
Commander

Post by Andrew B » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:38 pm

New take on daemons post grey knights.

HQ
110: Tzentch Herald on chariot: Bolt/We are legion/Master of sorcery

Elites
190: 6 Fiends: Might
190: 6 Fiends: Might
280: 6 Blood Crushers: Icon/Fury/Instrument

Troops
95: 5 Horrors: Bolt
100: 5 Horrors: Changling/Bolt
75: 5 Plague Bearers
75: 5 Plague Bearers

Fast
195: 13 Khorne Hounds

Heavy
160: Tzeentch Daemon Prince: Bolt/Breath
160: Tzeentch Daemon Prince: Bolt/Breath

Thinking:
HQs: they drop S8,AP1 shots from 24 away and hit a different target with 3 S5,AP3 shells. They zoom around 12 inches avoiding combat as they totally suck and simply jack up transports and infantry.

Elites: jack up transports and infantry move fast to grab units for Crushers. Crushers lock down the middle and assault as much as possible. Icon beams in new daemons as needed.

Troops: Cheapish bolts (S8,AP1) and score when possible. When they don't need to bolt a vehicle they shell infantry with warp fire. Changeling is annoying and a given at 5 points. Plague Bearers are they just to score.

Fast: Beasts designed to gimp Grey Knights (2+ INV vs. Force weapons!) and assault to tie up enemy to allow fiends or Crushers to do real damage, that way I don't need grenades.

Heavy: shoot and assault. 4+ INV is decent and will draw fire. Breath is my answer to Killy units while bolt is there as they approach.

Here is how I would split them:

Wave one:
Herald
Fiends
Crushers
Horrors w/ Changling
Plague Bearers
Khorne Hounds
Daemon Prince

Wave Two:
Herald
Herald
Fiends
Horrors
Plague Bearers
Daemons Prince

Hopefully I will play this on Friday, but I would love your feedback.

skars

Post by skars » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:46 am

No 40k at Pacificon, but there will be at Celesticon this weekend :P

I like the list and have a slaanesh/nurgle list in the makes myself. I wonder if some soul grinder love might be what you are missing.
Who was that masked man?

Andrew B
Commander

Post by Andrew B » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:17 pm

I wish I could play at the events this weekend, but camping wins the day.

Are you saying to replace the deamon princes with soul grinders? I like them, though the one shot, one kill aspect scares me. At least with the prince I get saves and you have to put a lot of shots in to ensure a kill. On the flip side, fleet rules, but I3 is not my favorite. Pros and cons. What has been your experiences with soul grinders vs. Daemon princes?

Thoughts about my other choices?

skars

Post by skars » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:49 pm

I like to take a mixture of the two. In my mono khorne list I go 2xDP 1xGrinder and with the nurgle list I was thinking about going 2x Grinder 1x DP.

As for pros/cons, I think I do prefer DP for the most part but sometimes dropping that pie plate with the grinder can be nice and it can screen some of those troops being a bigger model. Lascannons will always be a pain, but small arms fire has no effect. Small arms fire against the DP is deadly where a lascannon you can shrug off like any other single shot with a good invuln save and 4 wounds. They are both pretty devastating in HtH against most enemies I think the fleet sorta compensates for the lower initiative.

I tend to use the grinder to initially slowly plug forward just a bit to allow the troops to come in via reserves behind him where DP i tend to go balls to the wind with wings and engage whatever my hounds tied up. This might be good for sitting back with your horrors.

Your mileage may vary but I suggest giving them a try.
Who was that masked man?

pez5767

Post by pez5767 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:56 pm

Andrew, I'm looking at a lot of similar ideas with my demon list. Fiends are amazing, and you can't go wrong there.

In my opinion, you either want 2 soul grinders, OR 2 demon princes. In the end, the durability of the DP's wins out for me. I think I'm going 2 DP 1 SG. The SG's just become too much of an easy target. A cheap DP allows for more agressive placement.
Orks:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3259

WIP: (Whatever I'm up to:)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1496

Return to “Daemons”