Daemonic Assault and a 1-unit army

Doom given form.
NockerGeek

Post by NockerGeek » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:45 pm

Since CSM can now take Daemon allies, I'm thinking of replacing the generic Lesser Daemons in my Slaanesh army with real, honest-to-Slaanesh Daemonettes, led by a Herald. This raises an interesting question, though - if I take only one combined unit in the Daemon detachment, do I have a preferred wave of 1 unit, meaning I've got a 1-in-3 chance to not get any Daemons first turn? That's how the rules would seem to read.

Still, it's an improvement over not having any chance to get Daemons on the first turn, so I'll take it either way. Just want to make sure I'm playing it properly.
Our Podcast: Preferred Enemies - the Undergopher Warhammer 40K Podcast

skars

Re: Daemonic Assault and a 1-unit army

Post by skars » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:04 pm

If you were to take just one unit then yes you might start the game without any daemon allies present if your only unit was forced into reserves due to the roll as described 33% of the time. But, the "unit" you described actually sounded like two to me (1 hq and 1 troops).
Who was that masked man?

Jeffy.Gee

Post by Jeffy.Gee » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:35 pm

I asked my GW manager this weekend the same question and he said that your one wave comes in on turn one. Essentially you don't roll for it.

It sounds great but it can have its drawbacks. If you deep strike aggressively, that one unit is up the board with your opponents entire force to assault or shoot it. As they can't assault from DS they're sitting ducks.
If you have it hang back with your other forces, it minimises the impact it can have as it takes a turn or two to get there.

JG

NockerGeek

Post by NockerGeek » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:42 pm

skars wrote:If you were to take just one unit then yes you might start the game without any daemon allies present if your only unit was forced into reserves due to the roll as described 33% of the time. But, the "unit" you described actually sounded like two to me (1 hq and 1 troops).
A unit of daemons with an attached IC is treated a a single unit, as per the codex, so they go into a wave together as one.

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:49 pm

NockerGeek wrote:
skars wrote:If you were to take just one unit then yes you might start the game without any daemon allies present if your only unit was forced into reserves due to the roll as described 33% of the time. But, the "unit" you described actually sounded like two to me (1 hq and 1 troops).
A unit of plague bearers with an attached Epidemius is treated a a single unit, as per the codex, so they go into a wave together as one.
I fixed it for you. :)

NockerGeek

Post by NockerGeek » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:36 am

Nurgle? Boo. Boo, I say! Boo!

skars

Post by skars » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten that and looked it up last night.

I still don't see why there should be any guarantee that your force shows up turn one, especially for allied contingencies. But, who wants to stand around and play with themselves for more than 1 turn? ;)
Who was that masked man?

Return to “Daemons”