Dance to Death

Wielders of Fate. Harlequin forces included here.
destinedjinx

Dance to Death

Post by destinedjinx » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:47 pm

I have been playing with the new harlequin rules that have come out in the white dwarf along with my new harlequin army. I have had mixed success with it. So i tried throwing eldar allies in with it.

Army List:

Solitaire 145 pts ( This dude is a monster on the field. I love having him around)

2 troupes with starweaver transports

Spiritseer 110pts (Mantle of the laughing god)

wraithblades with wave serpent
wraithguard with wave serpent
Wraithknight (ghost glaive)

I have tried to avoid the spam even. Even though i have 3 more troupes to put together and 2 death jesters and 2 shadowseers i still need to get. But I am having a lot of trouble keeping my quins alive for very long. I have been playing really aggressive with them. Getting them into close combat in every game but it doesnt last long and has had mixed results. Do you guys have any advice? I have never played eldar but it's harlequins I couldn't help myself. Last game I was left with the wraiths left on the field (including the knight) 2 guins and the spiritsee everything else was gone. Still won by victory points. Is this something I should expect losing that many troupes in every game?

Adan
IC Staff

Re: Dance to Death

Post by Adan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:29 pm

They are basically glass hammers, I believe. So, if they die but you won, isn't that good?
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

destinedjinx

Post by destinedjinx » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:36 pm

Yeah but with getting more and of quins together fielding eldar is going to get small. I thought changing my tactics to make a mobile shooting army that doesn't mind getting charge work in this case?

Incarnet

Post by Incarnet » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:03 am

You can make a case for voidweavers being excelent gun platforms for their cost and some of the harlequin shooting attacks are good but I am not sire I would go for mobile shooting as they are simply too vulneeable to return fire.

Even in their original release Harlequins were the ultimate glass hammer. If the enemy can bring weapons to bear they die. You just can't expect them to be survivable (if they were it would be rather op... the solitaire has a better weapon skill than most primarchs iirc).

From my breif look through the rather short codex Cover, Starweavers, and Shadow Seers using veil of tears are your primary defense against shooting. Beyond that your safest place to be is in combat.

As far as strategies go, your best strategy for avoiding casualties is to ensure you spend as much time in close combat with weak opponents as possible and to control when the combats end (by adjusting how many of your models can be engaged and through hit and run).

Hannibal.Lictor

Post by Hannibal.Lictor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:49 pm

Now, keep in mind that I come from the land of the ITC and the subsequent list building parameters. Looking at your proposed force would require you to go unbound and thus relegated to beer and pretzels games for the most part. Thats not a bad thing, but the last part of my preamble caveat.

If you are looking at competitive play I see one very powerful formation that will fill your mobile gun platform idea. Its the Falcous (or wahtever) Blade. Its two units of the bikes and one of the voidweavers. You get to reroll cover saves when jinking with these guys. Thats not too shabby. It can get a little spendie, but I am finding those voidweavers to be pretty darn good. I tend to go nilla with them for the haywire blasts and get a unit of three. The bikes I like at 4 models and upgrade all with he glaives and one unit with the haywire cannons. Now, a good opp will make you jink like crazy but with a few waveserpents and what not, target priority is a real pain in the butt.

Seven HW blasts is pretty funny, esp against some of the more feared things int he meta, AdLance and any gunline....esp parking lots. I tend to go Iyanden and have a Autarch with the ap2 sword thingie on a bike with them and clean up in late game turns.

Just a thought, and I think its fair to say that we are all just getting the feel for these guys.

notsoevil

Post by notsoevil » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:36 pm

Hannibal.Lictor wrote:Now, keep in mind that I come from the land of the ITC and the subsequent list building parameters. Looking at your proposed force would require you to go unbound and thus relegated to beer and pretzels games for the most part. Thats not a bad thing, but the last part of my preamble caveat.
Why unbound? Maybe I don't understand what ITC means or what your build parameters are, but I think his list is Battle Forged. The Spirtseer makes the Wraiths as Troops, so the allied Eldar are fine. Or is it something wrong in his Harlequin primary detachment?

Hannibal.Lictor

Post by Hannibal.Lictor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:06 pm

Quins have no HQ, thus no CAD or Ally. That means you either go masque (3 troupes, 2 FA, and 1 HVY; with 7 optional elites) or one of the formations.

Hannibal.Lictor

Post by Hannibal.Lictor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:07 pm

And the ITC is currently limited to two detachments.

destinedjinx

Post by destinedjinx » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:26 pm

After some rather long research and what hannibal.lictor said I realized I'm going to be running formations with my harlequins. My buddy and me after long conversation about the formation special rules, cegorach's revenge makes the solitaire all but impossible to kill. 3+ invulnerable and the special consummate performance (which allows to re roll invulnerable saves of 1) makes nearly impossible to kill. On the charge using blitz using the caress you now have 12 attacks old school rend at ap2. You are going to watch terms get wiped out by one model at half the points cost.

Incarnet

Post by Incarnet » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Admittedly my math skill could be a bit rusted but what your describing is actually slightly worse than a 2+ save on a T3 model against normal wounds. I would advise you not to fall into the trap of thinking the solitaire is all but impossible to kill.

A standard tactical marine with bolter hits the Solitaire 4/6 times, wounds 4\6 times, and the solitaire will fail to save outright 1/6 times with 1/6 being re-rolled on a further fail rate of 2/6.

My point being, the solitaire is a powerful model, but you will still need to play smart and avoid being targeted by infantry squads, they just have too much firepower for him to survive without freinds to take hits.

Return to “Eldar”