Custom Autarch, Custom Rules

Wielders of Fate. Harlequin forces included here.
fonkin

Custom Autarch, Custom Rules

Post by fonkin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:23 am

Hi all, throwing this out there to other players. Trying to build a custom special character and could use some feedback.

The character in question is essentially an Autarch. The primary advantage of this guy is going to be that he takes up a slot as either Autarch or Corsair Prince, with the commensurate abilities: Path of Strategy(+/-1 reserve rolls), Sky Raiders(3 units can deeps trike) and Void Strike(one use orbital strike, 3 variations). A fun combo!

By the book, he's built as a standard Autarch with Shard of Anaris, Fusion Gun and Banshee Mask. This brings his cost to about 125 points before adding in extra for the corsair abilities above.

To mitigate those abilities I've added the following modifications:

1. Must be warlord, so no sharing lists with other SCs who must also be your warlord.
2. -1 Attack (hey he's got one frickin arm, what do you want?), no 2nd cc weapon.
3. Fixed equipment, like most special characters.
4. No enhanced movement (no jetpack, jump pack, jetbike, etc) so he'll have to be buried in a squad or retinue and/or transported to get around.

His intent is to be a mundane force multiplier for the army, sort of like a Farseer. He's not intended to be a front line face-wrecker, but with the Shard and banshee mask, he's no slouch either. No pistol, so he's only got 2 attacks, 3 on the charge.

Where I need help is in setting a reasonable point cost and attempting to keep it low by possibly modifying him further.

If you look at other special characters, like Illic or Yriel, they hover around 140 points, but they are single-purpose. Yriel is a cc monster, while Illic is a super-ranger.

Psykers tend to run the higher end cost; Bel-Annath is 175 but has a decidedly militant cast and is a bit of a face wrecker. Eldrad is the ultimate eldar battlefield manipulator but rings in at 205.

I'm thinking this guy sits somewhere in the middle, between 140 and 175. What are your thoughts?
"Why are the Eldar a dying race? Because I've been playing them for so long."

Loopy
IC Staff

Re: Custom Autarch, Custom Rules

Post by Loopy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:29 pm

I wish I knew more about Eldar. The special abilities seem very good to me. He gives 3 units Deepstrike?

fonkin

Post by fonkin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:14 pm

Yep, that's a standard ability for the Corsair Prince (corsair HQ). Most regular corsair units have access to deep strike already, but they can bring harlequins or kabalite warriors as an elite, as well as a single Fast or Elite choice from the Eldar Codex (also as an elite slot).

cavalier_ava

Post by cavalier_ava » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:22 am

Looks fine to me.

However if you are playing a narrative campaign I don't think you need all those limitations/disadvantages. I would just increase the standard buffs warlords can take in a campaign, which I think will make for truly epic play. Just for reference this is the set of rules I used during my campaign... these come via Skari from Skaredcast (these rules are no longer available as he switched webhosts).

Your Warlord
Each Player must pick one HQ choice from their Primary Combined Arms Detachment to be their warlord. A representation of themselves in the campaign, this warlord must have a suitable name to participate in the Campaign.
¬
This Character Will gain the Eternal Warrior Special Rule.
¬
This Character Must pick a single Warlord Trait, this affects the character for the duration of entire campaign.
¬
In addition This Character Must pick ¬one¬ of these special rules (must be specified):
¬ Adamantium Will ¬ Counter Attack
¬ Crusader
¬ Fleet
¬ Feel No Pain
¬ Furious Charge
¬ Hatred (x)
¬ Preferred Enemy (x)
(X) ¬ you must pick a specific target ex¬ infantry, MC’s, tanks, Codex: orks etc... ¬ stubborn
¬ stealth
¬ move through cover
¬ split fire
¬ scout
¬ infiltrate
¬ tank hunters
Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7093

fonkin

Post by fonkin » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:23 pm

I like that! The ultimate goal is indeed to get involved in a narrative campaign.

Thanks!

Fomite

Post by Fomite » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:49 am

Loopy wrote:I wish I knew more about Eldar. The special abilities seem very good to me. He gives 3 units Deepstrike?
As mentioned, those are the abilities from the Eldar Corsair Prince in Doom of MymsomethingorotherIcan'tspella.

A list that has, sadly, aged particularly poorly.

fonkin

Post by fonkin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Fomite wrote:
A list that has, sadly, aged particularly poorly.
It's not all doom and gloom. They have better Night Spinners than Codex: Eldar! ;)

An update to bring it more inline with the main 'dex would be welcome, though.

shep

Post by shep » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:05 am

Corsairs have so much narrative potential. Particularly if you've read path of the outcast and now that a harlequin solitaire is a thing again. It is a shame their list is out of date.

As for your character it sounds fair at the 150 point mark, you can always tweak as you go in a narrative campaign. If he proves to be a beast, just nerf him somhow in the narrative. Orbital strike unavailable that scenario, storms prevent sky raiders etc. etc.

As for corsairs in general, let's all email FW (I already have) and request an update! There must be tons of Eldar players who are bored of always winning and want to add some more narrative to their armies.

Return to “Eldar”