Killy HQ

Wielders of Fate. Harlequin forces included here.
TorIVC

Killy HQ

Post by TorIVC » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:18 pm

Hey guys,

I'm working up an Eldar army. I am going for a very Ulthwe-esque feel a la Eye of Terror Strike Force list which means:

-Reapers and one other aspect only
-No tanks (war walkers and vypers only)
-De-emphasize undead units (no knight, minimal blades/guard/lords)

To continue the theme and flavor I intend on using a unit of Harlies and a Warlock Council on foot (mainly due to costs but I am willing to grow into a jetbike council as the army gets closer to 2k+). I am entertaining the idea of DE allies (yuck!) but in a very non-abusive way...I just don't know exactly what or how but web dwelling dark cousins could fit in nicely with a webway strike force of grim, grumpy, emo craftworlders.

Needless to say at low points levels I will run a farseer with Eldrad being used at higher limits (maybe 1500+).

Big question though...my choppy HQ. Eldar don't scream CC monster...barely even whisper it. BUT that hasn't stopped me from trying silly things that generally don't work yet I LOVE on the table. Considerations I've had that I want to throw out for discussion are:
Yriel- Good and cheap for what you get. Would fit well in the foot based seer council or playing tag along with the harlies (though he'd slow them down a bit). With lots of 'locks on teh field i'm not worried about his 'doomed' special rule due to a hopeful redundancy of 'renewer' but no eternal warrior is a drag
Autarch- A couple varities: Namely on a bike with a spear to ride at the head of some shining spears (eating up my aspect choice), with a jump generator and diving into combats with a powerblade spider exarch in tow (also eating the aspect choice), or even with the mantle of the laughing god (bike likely) and/or faolchu's wing to solo around the field and harass (this leaves the aspect choice open). My main problems with the Autarch are weapon configs...like, Shard vs. Burning Blade Vs. Lance Vs. Power Weapon? Help me out with your inputs...a s5 fearless rending guy would be nice to lead a punchy squad but the shard is pricey and still 'only' rending though i do LOVE the item. Anyway I load him a banshee mask is included over the mandiblaster and a fusion gun is likely just so I don't have to say "man, I wish I had a fusion gun"
Maugen Ra- pricey for sure...maybe reserve him for higher point games. He fits the fluff PERFECTLY and, in my opinion, is quite a beast for the Eldar HQ. He does all things very well...moves, shoots (split fire even), CC and eternal warrior. No invul but eternal warrior with a 2+ and some 'renewer' floating around the field has me feeling confident.

Weigh in please. Let me know what you think. Any other options you feel I've overlooked? Again...the thought of an Archon with a Huskblade/Soultrap or something of the sort has crossed my mind but I don't want to 'cross the streams' if I can avoid it an still end up with something I like.

At the end of the day I know that any man-sized Eldar HQ I bring to the table with the intent of besting other units in CC will NOT stand up to dedicated assault units in other armies but I'm hoping to torment my opponent enough with shooty/movey stuff to be able to pick and choose the fights I want for my choppy dude to get in.

please share your thoughts.

cicero

Re: Killy HQ

Post by cicero » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:21 pm

2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

TorIVC

Post by TorIVC » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:17 pm

Seriously the avatar is likely the best bet with melta, the stats and the fearless bubble but I just don't wanna. Not for am ulthwe strikeforce list anyway. Maybe if I ever run that swordwind

Inquisitor Moloko
IC Staff

Post by Inquisitor Moloko » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:42 pm

Definitely hear where you're coming from on this one, but I wonder why you would want a CC monster for this army. It seems you're making choices for fluffy reasons and limiting yourself. I totally respect that. It also seems like you want to stay within a play style you enjoy (ya gotta love what it does on the table!). I can also understand wanting to find an option that fits within the tension created by those two choices, but it seems like you'd be happier letting one slip just a bit. Either stay totally fluffy and run Farseer/Warlock HQs or fudge it a bit and take the avatar.

If that doesn't work for you I'd recommend using Spiders with an Autarch. They're plenty fluffy for a web way assault force and he'll give you just enough punch to be a threat, but not so much you'll feel guilty about it. With the jump generators letting you move halfway across the board in a single turn (nearly), you can use his slightly below average killy-ness to kill exactly what you want. War Walkers can do the rest ;)
Geoff Hummel
Co-Host of The Independent Characters (Retired)

cavalier_ava

Post by cavalier_ava » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:39 am

Gotta agree with Geoff here... BTW if you want him to go choppy give him a Soul Shrive from the Iyanden book and a banshee mask. Its a better version of the huskblade. With a Spider Exarch with power blades, hit and run and the rest of the squad having decent armor saves it'll be a decent CC option when you really need to assault something...either that or houserule the\ the old 5th edition CC rules into 7th edition like I did! :D
Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7093

TorIVC

Post by TorIVC » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:50 pm

You guys think spiders over spears? I'm leaning much further towards the spears on paper but do want to fiddle with both on my way to figuring it out. Thanks for the input...

ps: no avatar!

cavalier_ava

Post by cavalier_ava » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:04 am

The spears are really hard to use... you can outflank with them but you can't assault so if you roll well and actually come on near the enemy you can shoot but not assault, meaning they can pick on say rear armor on tank or a small elite unit but they'll be potentially exposed to massed fire before they get to assault. On the other hand if you rush them up the board from your own deployment zone you are also giving your opponent at least a turn to shoot them up unless you can turbo-boost them behind LOS blocking terrain. This is one of those units that feels like it was written with 5th edition assault rules in mind.

The spiders on the other hand are even more mobile, great shooting, and when accompanied by say a Soulshrive, or Shard of Anaris Autarch (+spider exarch with powerblades) can pounce on vulnerable units in assault and either wipe it out, or bounce out with hit and run. As much as I love spears I'd go with the Spiders.
Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7093

TorIVC

Post by TorIVC » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:13 am

Noted...The charge with the spears just seems so overwhelmingly good. I will most surely try both several times and maybe, just maybe, figure out which I prefer! Thanks again.

Return to “Eldar”