New Forgeworld models on pre-order!

Wielders of Fate. Harlequin forces included here.
fonkin

Post by fonkin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:03 pm

Here they are! http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff

Here's my take on the three new toys included in the FW arsenal.

Shadow Specters
The Hype: Pictures of the Shadow Specters have been floating around since the last Games Day, causing Eldar fanboys to drool uncontrollably. What they promise: new jump pack troops with weapons that suspiciously resemble the new prism cannon turret? oOoOoOOoOOoh. Do they deliver?

The Reality: Test rules indicate some things we could have expected, given the current Eldar codex. A standard statline for aspect warriors and a price and squad size comparable to Dark Reapers. But what's this? Along with the standard 4+ armor save they also get a 5+ invulnerable save! Nice. Jet packs identical to the Tau kind (jump 6" during move and then again in the assault phase) make for interesting tactical choices (if you can find some LOS-blocking terrain less than 6" deep) and the 5+ invuln save will help with SOME of those dangerous terrain checks.

The prism rifle is 12", S6, AP2, Heavy 1. It's upgraded version is S7 but otherwise identical. Heavy weapons, so they are clunky, but the squad comes with Relentless, so that's at least somewhat mitigated. And yes, the guns can be linked into a single large shot called a "Ghostlight", BUT... ONLY at BS 4, there is no blast effect, and the option to twin-link it is an exarch upgrade that costs 10 points.

The exarch can choose to opt out of the prism options and carry a haywire launcher. Suffice it to say that it's a weird weapon. Great vs. tanks and so-so vs. infantry. The exarch also comes with an option called Cynosure, an upgrade that allows the unit to twin-link it's "Ghostlight" as well as yet-another-inappropriate-exarch-power; hit and run. Huh? Can we please get out of the 4th edition mindset? I don't see the point of hit and run in this unit. They will fold in close combat against anything but grots or tau drones.

The pricing on this unit seems fair, but the unit size is fairly small. In fact they are roughly comparable to Dark Reapers across the board, just specializing in shooting a different kind of target. Another thing about the unit is that it's a Heavy Support slot. Eldar are already overloaded with good Heavy choices, so I can't say I'm thrilled with having yet another good choice in the line-up.

I give the Shadow Specters a rating of 6 pointy ears out of 10. It is an interesting option, but it seems redundant and a little bit clunky.

Next post: the Warp Hunter tank.
Last edited by fonkin on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why are the Eldar a dying race? Because I've been playing them for so long."

Cleveland

Re: New Forgeworld models on pre-order!

Post by Cleveland » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:26 pm

I do like the unit, but with all the options in the heavy support slots, this unit may not see a lot of use, and not only because it is a FW unit and therefore probably not tournament legal in most tournaments. It might be something you'll see more often in games using the Spearhead rules or in Apoc games in which the Forge Org charts are jsut ignored.

Either way, I'll be getting the unit once it is released, as I have everything else out there for the Eldar so far. As for how much I'll actually use it, that is hard to say, but at least I'll be able to put it in the case and show them off for people.
your lord and master...

B...

fonkin

Post by fonkin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:16 pm

The Warp Hunter

The Hype: At first glance the Warp Hunter looks like a mighty engine of destruction. It fires a deluxe version of the dreaded D-cannon but with neither the limitations of being tied to wraithguard or an artillery piece, nor without being attached to oft-forbidden Super Heavy vehicles which are seldom seen even in Apocalypse games. Yes, the D-Cannon is now available in tank flavor!

The Reality:
Let's start with the good. The dreaded D-Cannon is mounted on a fast tank chassis, meaning you can buy some insurance for your tank with holofields, spirit stones and all the usual Eldar tank goodies, plus it won't ever be locked in combat or suffer from wraithsight like the aforementioned wraithguard. And if the enemy does manage to get to close, you can move 12" and still fire the main gun (or you can simply turn and use the Aether Rift, mentioned later). Mobility, as I'm sure you know, is the friend of all pointy-eared people.

Now for the better: D-cannons are awesome, though they tend to be short range guns with single- or limited-target capabilities and are frequently attached to difficult units to manage on the board. Let's face it, who runs Support Weapons or Wraithguard these days (besides AlexEldar)?

The Warp Hunter not only offers a 36" barrage weapon (meaning it can be fired out of LOS), it also has a nifty up close alt-fire, the Aether Rift. The Aether Rift is a close-in version of the D-cannon, but it uses the flamer template instead of the small blast marker. Not only that, you are given a very liberal set of rules for how you may orient the template for best coverage.

The Aether Rift is a great answer to someone attempting to disrupt your Warp Hunter's fun by landing a drop pod full of tank-killers or other heavy infantry or transports. WOunding anything on a 2+ and AP2 will get around FNP nicely, and the larger template and correct placement will make short work of nearly anything coming at your tank.

Now for the bad news. Yes, you are mounted on a fast tank chassis, with all the good that comes along with being one of the more robust vehicle designs in the game, while sharing all the weakness of that design. Also, this tank is unique to the Eldar arsenal in that the main gun is not a turret-mounted weapon. This means you can only fire from the front arc. This is not so good when your rear armor is 10. Your mobility can allow you to get out of tight spots, but it also allows you to get into them if you aren't careful.

Also there is the matter of the BS of the vehicle. BS 3 is not so great for a vehicle that costs 10 points more than any other tank you can choose from. Functionally, reducing scatter by 3 inches is not so different from reducing it by 4 inches, so the BS really only applies to the nose gun.

Oh yeah; one weapon-destroyed result ruins your day and turns this overpriced tank into just another flying objective-blocker, much like with the other tanks.

Lastly, the Warp Hunter takes up yet another hotly contested Heavy slot in your force organization. Really? Why would I pick this tank over the Night Spinner, Fire Prism, Wraithlord, or War Walkers? Answer: I wouldn't. I might pick it over Reapers or a Wraithlord, but that would depend on the list I intended to field.

Overall, I give the Warp Hunter 7 Elfstones of Shannara out of 10. The Warp Hunter provides a unique threat for your enemies, and if you were expecting to play against many armies that make use of FNP units or high-toughness creatures or stout mobile vehicles it would certainly be a good choice.

If it were the same cost as the other Eldar tanks I might be inclined to give it a score of 8, it's really that close of a call, but when it comes right down to it, I'd rather commit to bringing a Nightspinner if I only had one Heavy slot to burn. If I had two slots to burn, I'd be bringing 2 Fire Prisms rather than a Prism and a Warp Hunter.

Up next: The Hornet.

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:49 pm

I liked the suggestion by someone on dakka dakka that you could buy these and use them to represent fire prisms in regular games.

I am going to pick up two of them for Chelle since she currently has no fire prisms and proxies them anyway.

At $65 USD that's not too shabby from Forge World.
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

fonkin

Post by fonkin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 pm

Keep in mind that you may also be able to get the Fire Prism turrets cheaper, and use them on your Falcons. The extra "wing" bits you see on the Fire Prism box are just the Vectored Engines upgrade. I've got ideas about how to magnetize that.

The only other change to overall tank design on the Prism was a different back door on the chassis.

Inquisitor Moloko
IC Staff

Post by Inquisitor Moloko » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:26 pm

"Ideas"? Our boy Magneto has long since moved beyond the land of ideas! I'll have to find a way to get pics up of the great job he did on my FP/NS.
Geoff Hummel
Co-Host of The Independent Characters (Retired)

fonkin

Post by fonkin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:37 pm

Hornet Squadron

The Hype: Aside from being a great looking model, the hornet can carry two main weapons. You can bring them in squadrons of up to three, each with two

The Reality: When I first spotted this model, I really liked it. It was lean, it was elegant, it looked as mean as it's namesake and it didn’t fall back on the same old Eldar tank chassis as a template. Later, when I first read the rules sheet for it, I was less than thrilled. It seemed like too much cost for not enough benefit.

I’ve changed my opinion about the Hornet. For one thing, here we finally have a new Forgeworld model that doesn’t take up a Heavy slot; it’s a Fast Attack choice instead! This is huge! The overall opinion of the Eldar Fast Attack choices is pretty low. Some people have favorites (I love my warp spiders, and those who play pure Saim Hann typically take squadrons of cheap Vypers), but the overall feeling is lukewarm. Swooping hawks? Great when shooting hordes of weenies or assaulting a vehicle, mediocre otherwise. Vypers? Cheap, expendable units that can move fast but won’t last 5 turns if they are doing their job at all, which is pumping out lots of cheap shots. Warp Spiders? A little beefier than Swooping Hawks but still limited in what threats they can address. Shining Spears? Though punchy and fast, they are too difficult to protect and their points cost is rather high for how easy they are to kill. The Fast Attack slot - which should represent the epitome of Eldar war doctrine - is filled with red-headed stepchildren (and before I get any angry responses, I am a red-headed stepchild myself).

Enter the Hornet. As a midway point between the Vyper, the War Walker and the Falcon, it fills a much-needed role. It’s front and side armor are 11, but it has no nose weapon, instead carrying two forward-facing heavy weapons of your choice. The usual suspects can be mounted on it for the usual prices, but it also has a surprise option; the pulse laser for 40 points! Granted it’s an expensive choice (as are most tank-mounted weapons in our arsenal).

Granted, the Hornet is BS 3 like most Eldar vehicles, but it makes up for that with some built in upgrades. Every Hornet is equipped with Star Engines, for example. Running them in squadrons effectively gives them all Spirit Stones until whittled down to a singleton. It's armor of 11 means massed bolter fire won't drop it, and even heavy bolters or tau infantry guns will have trouble bringing it down, unlike the open-topped vyper.

On top of that, the Hornet comes with Scouts. This means you can either take the extra move to get them into a better position before turn 1, or use Outflank to come in later in the game.

In effect, Hornet Squadrons are flying war walkers with better armor. They are slightly more expensive than Vypers, but with better armor. Their limited fire arc is ameliorated by their advanced mobility and the fact that you will be taking twice as many shots should make up for the fact they are only BS 3.

Oh yeah, and they look cool.

I give the Hornet 8 sparkly fairy wings out of 10. I deduct 2 full sparkly fairy wings only because a) they are not tourney legal and b) because they are still rather pricey (both points wise and monetarily) though I think they are pretty well balanced for that cost. Otherwise, I love the concept and design. It’s a good midway point between mobility and firepower, perhaps the best we've seen so far from either GW OR Forgeworld...

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:18 pm

fonkin wrote:Keep in mind that you may also be able to get the Fire Prism turrets cheaper, and use them on your Falcons. The extra "wing" bits you see on the Fire Prism box are just the Vectored Engines upgrade. I've got ideas about how to magnetize that.

The only other change to overall tank design on the Prism was a different back door on the chassis.
Sure but they won't look as awesome!
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

fonkin

Post by fonkin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:07 pm

cvtuttle wrote:Sure but they won't look as awesome!
They will if you stick some sparkly fairy wings on them!

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:21 pm

fonkin wrote:They will if you stick some sparkly fairy wings on them!
Like the ones Carl keeps in his closet? :o
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Return to “Eldar”