Building Black Legion -- Smash and Grab List

Traitors and Renegades.
rjfletcher82

Building Black Legion -- Smash and Grab List

Post by rjfletcher82 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:13 pm

I'm a long-time fan of CSM in many of its forms and variants. I recently pulled out all of my models because 1) I was ready to field some bad guys, 2) the models really got me interested in 40k, 3) Carl.

I wanted to build a different kind of list than what I usually face (ie. Thousand Sons or Plague Marines, Obliterators, HeldrakeS).

So here's my list in progress. The idea is to cover ground quickly and hit as hard as I can.

1850 Pts - Supplement: Black Legion Roster (naturally, all units have Veterans of the Long War)

Total Roster Cost: 1850

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour w/Combi-Meltagun, Sigil of Corruption, Chainfist

4 Chaos Terminators w/Icon of Vengeance, Chainfist x1, Power Fist x3, Heavy Flamer x1
Terminator Champion w/Chainfist
Chaos Land Raider w/Dirge Caster, Dozer Blade, Warpflame Gargoyles, Combi-Bolter

10 Chaos Cultists w/Autogun
10 Chaos Cultists w/Autogun

9 Chaos Bikers w/Mark of Nurgle, Icon of Vengeance, Meltagun x2
Biker Champion w/Mark of Nurgle, Lightning Claw x1, Melta Bombs
9 Chaos Bikers w/Mark of Nurgle, Icon of Vengeance, Meltagun x2
Biker Champion w/Mark of Nurgle, Lightning Claw x1, Melta Bombs

1 Heldrake

1 Forgefiend w/Hades Autocannons + Ectoplasma Cannon
"Caesar defendit."
Rob's Grimdark Journey

RichH1

Re: Building Black Legion -- Smash and Grab List

Post by RichH1 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:08 am

what are you using the cultists for? As they don't move fast or hit hard? Everything else looks good, are they in there just to fill the 2 troop slots?

Malahat Mike

Re: Building Black Legion -- Smash and Grab List

Post by Malahat Mike » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:02 pm

He's taking the cultist for his Troop choice. Sadly they are the best one (ie cost efficient). Keep them in reserve as long as you can and use them to grab your back objectives late game.

I am a long time CSM and that's primarily what I play. So I give a warning. Prepare to lose. With Dark Angels update, CSM is probably the weakest book. Now Nurgle Bikers are the bomb. The Terminators with Lord in a Land Raider is dead on for Black Legion but its a big risk. Armies like Tau, Eldar, Sternguard in Drop Pods, and Necrons could knock it out first turn and your Terminators will be stranded. If you're not going first, hide that thing. I've really wanted to try a Forgefiend but haven't yet so I can't really comment on them (Other then I love the model and the Hades Autocannon). Heldrakes are the strongest unit in this book and your best defense against Marines and Eldar. There are places you could be more efficient (like dropping the Warpflame Gargoyles and Ectoplasma) to make more units. The other thing is I don't find Bike units hit hard enough in close combat to compete with Bike Command Squads, Shining Spears and Wolf Calvary. So I tend to keep them small and use them to harass and take out armour. I'd use those points to get something else like maybe a Sicaran or Fireraptor? If forgeworld is a possibility. Imperial Armour 13 is your friend.

Now you might just be intending to fight friends and friendly 40K night at your store. In which case don't worry too much about what I said. I too also love playing with the unloved units in the CSM book. But I tend to loose dramatically when I do. But isn't that the bad guys lot in life?

Return to “Chaos Space Marines”