Mike's Black Legion & friends.

Painting Tips and Modeling Advice.
Malahat Mike

Mike's Black Legion & friends.

Post by Malahat Mike » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:50 pm

Edit #3: Scrap it, I'm starting a new thread for the Blood Angels here.

The Black Legion are a carry over from my HPC 2014 that I started 2/3rds of the way through. I painted some of Chaos Space Marine miniatures, some of which have been laying around for almost 20 years. I still have many left needing some painting, some the process of being stripped and some things needing to be built. Plus I have some big plans for some of the units from Imperial Armour 13. I will continue to work on some Black Legion plus Daemons as well though I won't be attributing them to the HPC 2015.

Edit: The army thus far.

As I play through a campaign with my good friend Dan against his Tyrainds I've come to two conclusions. I'm not really all that great in this game at thinking tactically and the Chaos Sapce Marine Codex is really not very competitive. Despite these things I still insist in bringing things like Chaos Space Marines and Chaos Terminators. So you're going to see an army of less focus and more just stuff I wanted to get painted up and that I like. I've always dreamed of having a Chaos united army with all the major cults, daemons and the core of Black Legion. I guess this like A Space Marine player building an army based on an entire company. As I prune this thread to something more organize I hope to have a proper list and maybe some fluff and background to the overall army.

This is what I have going on right now. I've started my Daemon allies.

Plus another squad of CSM and a really old rhino that's ready for prime.
Last edited by Malahat Mike on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

Malahat Mike

Re: Mike's Black Legion and Allies.

Post by Malahat Mike » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:24 pm

I guess some of the goals I have for this Army.

Stuff to Paint
Plaguebearers (Half done)
Hearld of Nurgle (Half done)
CSM(10) Squad w/ Bolters and 2 Melta [Need another Melta dude]
CSM(10) Squad w/ CCW and 2 Flamers [Need another Flamer Dude]
CSM dude with Plasma gun for completed squad to replace Heavy Bolter
Old School CSM Squad with Flamer and Plasma
Khorne Berserkers (13)
Dark Vengence Chosen (I don't know what I want to do with these)
Havos (I need a champion)

Stuff to Assemble
Hellblade
Old School Dreadnought
5 Old School Termies (I suspect they'll become more Black Legion)
Pink Horrors

Stuff I Really Want\
A wack of Daemons (too much to list)
2 more Hellbrutes (for the formation)
4 more Chaos Rhinos (of various vintages)
Chaos Land Raider
Hellblade
Chaos Raptors
Chaos Bikers
Sicarran
Fire Raptor
Fellblade (far on the horizon).
Last edited by Malahat Mike on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:43 pm

Okay so during the HPC I posted this pic of an old Rhino I got my hands on.

It spent a month in a Simple Green bath so I could strip it. I've now primed and painted it up with same simple wash heavy technique I used with my Plague Marines.

One of the things I've really noticed is how much shorter it is then current Rhinos.

I'm tempted to put it on one of the newer oval bases (I don't think the Fantasy Chariot base is big enough).

The other issue is at some point the body has warped on that Rhino and sits on three corners. This will allow me to build up some ground under it to even it out.

The old school Rhino wasn't the only thing I've been busy stripping. I decided to dump all of my 2nd/3rd Edition Chaos Space Marine in the green bath too. I've just started scrubbing them down and putting them back together. So far I have enough guys for a 10 man CSM squad and a Havoc squad pictured below. The dude on the far right? He's my first Citadel miniature ever purchased. 1994 I think? Anyways I used craft paints on him and had a heck of time getting them off. Now he's ready to be primed and brought back up to battle worthiness. Funny note, he's carrying a heavy plasma gun which they got rid of in 3rd edition. And I can't even pretend its a Plasma Cannon. Chaos Havocs can't use them. Oh well.

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:30 pm

Over the last week or so I had started my plaguebearers but I became distracted by the Havocs and ended up completely painting them up. I probably spent too much time but I came out very happy with them.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with my camera or my ability to use it. I'm finding despite all my efforts at lighting and using its setting I'm getting washed out photos of my minis in which things appear blurred but not out of focus. My camera is a Fujifilm Finepix 1800S which is just a $200 hybrid. I've had it for four years now and its had it share of tumbles especially on numerous camping trips so I'm beginning to wonder if its time to make a jump to a DSLR. But that in itself is an entire 40K army's worth in cash. One more thing to put on the wishlist.

I also updated my photo on the HPC Completed Army Parade.

Finally I did a big family shot of everything I've completed so far for the army at the top of this thread.

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:52 pm

Looks like that lonely rhino found its forever-home! Nice work!

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:37 pm

I talked about this on the show... I highly recommend Greenman Designs wreched vehicle template for the basing of an old rhino.
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:36 am

Great Loopy, now I'm feeling guilt about possibly replacing it with one of the Forgeworld Deimos patterns. ;)
Adan wrote:I talked about this on the show... I highly recommend Greenman Designs wreched vehicle template for the basing of an old rhino.
Thanks Adan. Sometimes I miss parts of the show as I'm usually listening while commuting and my focus is on something else.

jholtmusic

Post by jholtmusic » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:58 am

One of the things that I love about this game is the wide variety of models that have been released over the 20+ years that it has been in existence. I especially like seeing older second/third edition models on the tabletop because they add depth and variety to the army. It's really cool that you're including these models within the black legion because that army needs variety within its ranks to drive home the idea that its members come from a variety of legions/chapters. The heavy plasma havoc model is really cool and the older edition rhino is perfect for the black legion.

TL;DR version: I love that your army has both old and new models. Keep up the good work!
2015 HPC Blood Ravens-Ordo Psykana(GK)/LoTD/Imperial Knight
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8048

2014 HPC Blood Ravens
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=6278

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:54 am

If someone complains about your Rhino, hit them with a brick.

mattyg

Post by mattyg » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:56 am

Put said brick into their face
Matt
Kyiv, Ukraine.
40K Armies - SM(White Scars),DeathWatch, Eldar & Imperial Knights
30k - World Eaters & Alpha legion

Painting and Hobby blog:
http://mattdoeshobbyandpainting.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to “Painting & Modeling”