Grey Knights: Socially acceptable to play?

Witchhunters and Daemonhunters. Mankinds last line of defense.
blighttdm

Grey Knights: Socially acceptable to play?

Post by blighttdm » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:43 am

Hello there IC community,

I've only recently started playing 40k (1 year or so) and this has been a topic thats been bugging me since day one. When I decided on my first army ( Dark Angels) I went with something I perceived as simple and a good jump in point that wasn't typical Space Marines and that interested me with their fluff and backstory. I spent many hours pouring over lore and codices of various armies to saw what fit. When I had originally picked up the Grey Knights Codex things just clicked. Since I wasn't super familiar with the rules and how the army would play out in a game I had no idea what they represented. I was just reading up on a cool deamon hunting army that looked wicked cool and their lore was enticing.

That's when I got the sit down from the person that is mentoring me when i came to this decision and was told to find another army. "They are too OP and people will not want to play you with that army." was what I was told. So with that I went with an army that was a little more "fair" you could say that also interested me. A year later and a lot more reading, I'm still compelled to pick up and play this army.

My question for the community is this army really that overpowered that I'd become the exiled pariah player for running this army? Honestly to me it seems while yes they do have a lot of special rules and have a lot of cool equipment that is balanced by low numbers. I'm still learning and I know I have a long way to go, but I wanted an honest opinion about what regular and seasoned players think before I go off the deep end and commit to another army or if I should just stick to the novels to get my fix.

Thanks for any input, I've really been digging the podcast and the Show of Force episodes always get me excited to learn a bit more. I also should apologize in advance for any rookie mistakes I've made posting this, it seemed more appropriate in the armies sub forum than in general discussion.

Gigantor

Re: Grey Knights: Socially acceptable to play?

Post by Gigantor » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:05 am

The quick answer is no. GK are not crazy overpowered (anymore). Are there Eldar players or daemon players in your area/group? You should be able to discuss with your opponent ahead of time what kind of game you are looking to play. If they have never played you and your army before, ask if they'll give it 1 game before deciding they don't want to play against it.

GKs are a points expensive army and are not as efficient as they were in late 5ed. Maybe even try proxying the army for a couple games to see how your group feels about playing them.

Letting others decided for you what army you can and cannot play is a quick way to want to quit the game. Worst case, you'll have 2 armies so you can switch it up from time to time.
Paint for the Paint God!!
Brushes for his Throne!!
Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint.

Incarnet

Post by Incarnet » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Grey Knights were once over the top. That is no longer the case in the current meta.

Honestly, I find it more disturbing that you were led away from the army in the first place. There were certainly GK builds that I would have simply declined to play in a freindly game (because it wouldn't have been an enjoyable game), but I can't imagine ostracism over simple army choice. Especially in a game with a fairly volatile meta.

Pick up whatever army you want. Even the outrageously op codexes have some fun builds.
Last edited by Incarnet on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:42 pm

I know how you feel. Grey Knights was my first army in 40K many years ago. It was an older codex and not terrible powerful. When the new book came out and the "riflemen dread" build was abused, people hated the army, and I didn't play it.

BUT, now things are better. Eldar and Tau and even Dark Eldar (at the time) turned the hate away from the GK.

Just don't do the abusive builds. Maximizing dreads with 2 twin-linked autocannons with psybolts behind an Aegis line is just rude. Play an army that fits your feeling for the background and enjoy.
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Sadclown

Post by Sadclown » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:14 pm

There are abusive things that can be done with GK but the reality is pretty much every GK list can be easily countered because the lists are built around: 1) cheap troops that are easily killed by an opponent who is not distracted by your powerful units; or 2) expensive troops that are still relatively easy to kill with the volume of dice some armies can through in the shooting phase of the game, (think Eldar, Tau and Imperial Guard). GK are playable as an army just not overpowered.

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:52 pm

With a new Codex on the horizon now, I'd say now's a good time to collect, both by getting a good boxed set deal from your FLGS and also on Ebay when folks start ragequitting their Codex in droves in unfortunate/fortunate knee-jerk reactions.

Return to “The Inquisition”