Salamanders Battle Company at 1850

The Adeptus Astartes - Saviours of Mankind.
BrokenPixel

Salamanders Battle Company at 1850

Post by BrokenPixel » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:04 pm

I think I have finalized my competitive list. After much thought, this is what I have:

/--Battle Demi Company--\

Vulkan He'Stan

Tactical Squad (x2)
10 Marines
Meltagun
Combi-melta
Razorback with TLLC

Tactical Squad (x1)
5 Marines
Meltagun
Combi-melta
Razorback with TLLC

Devastator Squad
Heavy Bolter x4
Razorback

Bike Squad
3 Marines
Thunder Hammer on Sarg
2x Flamers
Attack Bike with MM

/--Battle Demi Company--\

Chaplain

Tactical Squad (x3)
5 Marines
Flamer
Combi-melta
Razorback with TLLC

Devastator Squad
5 Marines
Grav-cannon x2
Lascannon x1

Bike Squad
3 Marines
Power Sword on Sarg
Meltaguns x2
Attack Bike with MM

/--10th Company Task Force--\

Scouts x5 Shotguns

Scouts x5 Sniper rifles and cloaks

Scouts x5 Bolters 1 with heavy bolter

The only marines I need to build are 2 guys with bolters. If I want 2 more Razorbacks with assault cannons for the devastators, I'll have to buy and build them. But they're free transports so why not. Everything else is already built and modeled. Hence the silly loadouts for scouts.

I think it has tons of melta, and lascannons for most big game. Then a sprinkling of grav. enough flamers for when someone trys to get onto my objective. I would love to be able to fit the Armoured Task Force instead of the scouts, but it seems a little hard at 1850. At 2000 it should be fine.

Does anyone use Whirlwinds anymore? and would that formation work well in 40k? If I do go that route, its scorpius models all the way though.

Let me know your feedback!
Last edited by BrokenPixel on Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ridiculi

Re: Salamanders Battle Company at 1850

Post by Ridiculi » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:49 am

Love to see a fellow salamanders battle brother. I am building a similar list and also need to paint 11 more dudes. I personally have not used a full gladius strike force but using salamanders often, have you considered drop pods to deliver your meltas? I think a field full of LC razorbacks though will probably provide a lot of fire support. Also if you are taking 10 man tac squads, what a bout a heavy weapon in there since half the squad will not be in the razorback? I like the idea of melta and flamers on the bikes, act as mobile counter attack force for things getting to close or harassing a flank...especially with that Master crafted TH :D . With your second dev sqad, are you taking 2LC and 2 grav cannons? It seems you would be splitting the effectiveness of the squad, or take 10 guys and split them up and sgt goes with whoever needs better BS. In my list I'm planning on running 2 ironclads and I run 6 bikes w/ 2 grav in each squad. Anyway, let me know what your final list is, post a pic of your army, and let me know how it works as you start playing it as I could use the advice from real world tests :D

-Rid

BrokenPixel

Post by BrokenPixel » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:16 pm

I am not going to use drop pods for this army at all. I only want to have 1 drop pod army, and I also play space wolves. I feel like the new Blackmanes formation is the best way to do that, so why bother trying to make Sallys compete. This also helps make my two marine armies play distinctly different.

Yes, I feel like I always lack fire support, and will be painting all of them green now. I can't fit 10 man squads with all of those bikes and twin linked lascannons. I'd like to fit in 3 Thunderfires, but they also don't fit unless I go unbound.

The Dev squad is just 1 lascannon, because thats what I have right now. I may pick up 3 more, but we'll see. I want some Grav just in case. This list is almost finalized. An Auspex on the Chaplain will be in the final list.

I'll post pics soon.

Thanks.

BrokenPixel

Post by BrokenPixel » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:54 am

Final List

///---Gladius Strike Force (Salamanders)---\\\

/-Battle Demi Company-\

Devastator squad (5)
*Heavy Bolters x4

Bike Squad (3)
*Flamer x2
*Thunder Hammer
*Attack Bike with Multimelta

Tactical Squad (10)
*Combi-melta
*Meltagun
*Razorback with TLLC

Tactical Squad (10)
*Combi-melta
*Meltagun
*Razorback with TLLC

Tactical Squad (5)
*Combi-melta
*Meltagun
*Razorback with TLLC

Commander
*Vulkan He'Stan

/-Battle Demi Company-\

Devastator Squad (5)
*Grav-cannon and amp x2
*Lascannon x1

Bike Squad (4)
*Power Sword
*Meltagun x2
*Attack Bike with multimelta

Tactical Squad (5)
*Combi-melta
*Flamer
*Razorback with TLLC

Tactical Squad (5)
*Combi-melta
*Flamer
*Razorback with TLLC

Tactical Squad (5)
*Combi-melta
*Flamer
*Razorback with TLLC

Commander
*Chaplain with Auspex

/-10th Company Task Force-\

Scouts (5)
*Heavy Bolter

Scouts (5)
*Shotguns x5

Scouts (5)
*Sniper Rifles and Cloaks x5

///---Conclusion---\\\

This gives me 82 models at 1850 on the dot. It has 13 metlas, 7 lascannons, 2 grav-cannons, 5 heavy bolters, and 6 flamers. Plenty of twin linking with the razorbacks, and chapter tactics.

I could fit 2 more Razorbacks with Heavy Bolters in for free to accompany the two devastator squads, I just don't have them. That would be better.

Let me know what you think.

Goraim

Post by Goraim » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:09 pm

List looks good. I am playing a list much like that. I will suggest that you look at taking combi-plaz. I find the 24 inch range or double tap options help out when you run into heavy troops and the free MC mitigates the risk. I don't take all of them but I do tend to mix it up. It helps when I am dealing with other SM and eldar where weight of dice seems to be the best option.

Also I do use whirlwinds and I love the crap out of them. Keep in mind that I always run HK missiles on them as that is there only contribution to a knights army. Also I play A LOT of dark eldar, orks, and infantry heavy guard in my meta. Hope this helps.
To the rise of the Novokh dynasty! Long may we bathe in the blood of the unworthy!

2016 HPC Novokh Dynasty Necrons
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8730#p113944

BrokenPixel

Post by BrokenPixel » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:41 am

I played this list Saturday at Adepticon, and it started out pretty strong. I did notice a huge weakness, that could have been the way I played, but it would have been amplified if I was against higher armour. I was unable to kill a land raider with 3 cannons per turn. Always hit it, never penetrated or glanced. Got within melta range and choked too. My grav devistators got wiped out by a template that scattered onto them, they weren't even the intended target!

We played maelstrom instead of ITC, which also may have had something to do with it. But I had a hard time taking out armour even with about 5 lascannons per turn. On the top of turn one, one razorback was destroyed so that was my fualt leaving it in the open. The heavy bolter Devs did well against a blob squad, killed everyone they had sight of. I think I am going to try this list a few more times and see what happens. I am also thinking about trading in 1 Demi-Company for a Skyhammer Annihilation formation, Once my jump marines are assembled. I think the formation does what a demi company does with the devs, but just does it better. The turn 1 relentless, plus they can move and shoot grav anyways is just too good to pass on. The denying overwatch would have really helped my bike units. They took quite a nasty beating trying to assault.

Instead of the whirlwinds, I'm going to try to use some Qaud Mortar Rapiers and a Sicaran. I just need to figure out a way to fit it all in...

Thanks for the response. How do you deal with high armor and knights? Just the hunter killer missiles?

BrokenPixel

Post by BrokenPixel » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:35 pm

OOOHHHhhhhh new book! This might change my list a bit...

Dogberry1982

Post by Dogberry1982 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:59 pm

I am quite excited about the new book. The Psychic powers are a little crazy, and they may get banned outright for a lot of things, BUT the new formations are amazing. They really allow for more builds that could still be competitive.

BrokenPixel

Post by BrokenPixel » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:46 pm

Having a change of heart on the BC. It does win and looks awesome on the table, but it just doesn't kill a whole lot. Here's what I'm thinking about running at a local ITC tourny to pack a little more punch. FW incoming:

Chapter Tactics: Salamanders
HQ: Librarian Lvl 2 in Terminator armour with a force sword
Elite: Motis Contemptor with twin Kheres assault cannons
Elite: Terminator Assault Squad with 5 TH/SS in a Land Raider Redeemer with Multi-melta
Troops: 10 man Tactical squad with Grav-cannon, Sgt with Combi-melta in a rhino
Troops: 5 man Tactical squad with Grav-cannon, Sgt with Combi-melta in a rhino
Troops: 5 man Tactical squad with Grav-cannon, Sgt with Combi-melta in a rhino
Troops: 5 man Scout squad with CCW/Pistols
Fast Attack: Rhino (for the Culexus Assassin)
Heavy Support: Relic Sicaran Battle Tank with Schism of Mars and Lascannon sponsons
Heavy Support: Quad Mortar Battery
Heavy Support: Quad Mortar Battery

Culexus Assassin

pts 1850

The most controversial unit in the list is the TH/SS Terminators in a Land Raider Redeemer. Will it draw firepower away from the FW units or visa versa? Is it a waste of points? It can't be ignored surely.

What are its main weaknesses?

Return to “Space Marines”