Salamanders - What to get next?

The Adeptus Astartes - Saviours of Mankind.
Wayward

Salamanders - What to get next?

Post by Wayward » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:04 am

Hey Guys,

I am trying to decide what I am going to get next for my Salamanders.  I was sort of moving towards building an all drop pod list, but then decided I would combo with that with trying to get the Salamander Second Company. I was originally planning on getting a Storm Talon next but with the new codex comes the new formation and I am interested in maybe moving towards that. Having played a dozen drop pod heavy games I am also looking to expand how the army can be used. What I currently have is:

Vulkan
Command Squad
- Apothecary
- Company Champion
- 3x Vets with Grav Guns
Tac Squad (10 Man)
- Vet Srg w/ Combi Melta
- Multi Melta
- Melta Gun
Tac Squad (10 Man)
- Plasma
- Missile Launcher
Tac Squad (10 Man)
- Srg w/ Combi Melta
- Multi Melta
- Melta Gun
Assualt Squad (5 Man)
- 2x Flamers
Assualt Squad (5 Man)
- 2x Flamers
Ironclad
- Chain Fist w/ Heavy Flamer
- Power Fist w/ Heavy Flamer
Ironclad
- Seismic Hammer w/ Heavy Flamer
- Power Fist w/ Heavy Flamer
3x Drop Pods

These are my thoughts for potential units

Some Scouts. I like the models and the fluff. Plus, if I get three squads of them I will have an auxiliary unit for the Force Org in the new Codex.

Storm Talon. I like the model and I feel like I am missing an aspect of the game as it stands by not having a flyer.

Devistator Squad. New models are cool. Getting a bunch of heavy weapons to use on future Tac Squads is cool. For weapons at this point I would probably take 4x Missile Launchers. I don't really need anti tank with all the melta I have, and I have a decent amount of flamers to deal with hoards. Missile Launchers give me a bit of both and anti air. It also gives me the last thing I need for a Demi Company. Downside being, I am not that excited about painting more standard power armour guys.

Terminators and a Terminator Librarian. Having something in the psychic phase could be fun. Pyromamcy is fluffy and why not the best lore, looks like it could be fun. Thunder hammer termies are very Salamandery, but if I went for assualt termies I have the black reach guys sitting in a box.

Tanks. I like Vindicators, it helps move me away from only drop pods in the army, plus the formation of 3 is awesome and this would be the first one down. Similer reasons for the Predator.

Centurions. I have grown to like the models and it would give my force a bit of variety. I am not sure how I would equip them though.

Tac Squad with a Rhino. It will help diversify my play style options away from Drop pods and will also get squad 4/7 for my Second Company goals. Another squad could be useful if I want to get the double full Company formation.

If people want to let me know their thoughts on what they think I should get and why, it would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for this to be my July commitment for the HPC.

cicero

Re: Salamanders - What to get next

Post by cicero » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:48 am

I would say a devastator squad would be great, the strike force formation is just so cool.

Devastators with grav cannons would be a very effective choice for a drop pod assault since the salvo weapons can be quite effective on the move.

Also if you want a break from power armour dudes you could go for centurion devastators.

I would say go for centurions and then a stormraven so that you can mount them and an ironclad when you are doing a full orbital assault theme.

Whatever you go with, happy painting. :)
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

Cieged

Post by Cieged » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:06 am

A duo of Stormtalons is quite powerful. Either of the Devestator squads equipped with Grav or Melta is quite effective. Otherwise spamming more well equipped Objective Secured Tacticals is a very fluffy and fun way to go too!

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:33 am

Possibly consider a transport for the Dev squad as well. A sarge with a combi-melta with 4 gentlemen in a Drop Pod and the missile lanchers hunkered down in the backfield would be pretty good in a non-alphastrike opponent situation.

frutescent

Post by frutescent » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:08 pm

Another vote for devastators here. My brain is just screaming, "You're so close to a demi company! Just finish the damn thing!"

As you've said, it does give you the heavy weapon options for future tac squads and never underestimate the power of plasma cannons for taking out other power armour.

BrokenPixel

Re: Salamanders - What to get next?

Post by BrokenPixel » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:18 pm

Finish Demi Company, start second demi company, if you want to run the Gladius. Otherwise, Relic Sicaran and some Quad rapiers. Also, you're Salamanders, Firedrakes with TH/SS (not great in tournaments, but fit the theme), and some Heavy flamer vets to ride with Vulkan in a drop pod is good.

mattyg

Re: Salamanders - What to get next?

Post by mattyg » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:30 am

yeah i agree with the rest of the posters above, a dev squad to finish off the demi company, but still keeping it fluffy and taking multi metlas??
Matt
Kyiv, Ukraine.
40K Armies - SM(White Scars),DeathWatch, Eldar & Imperial Knights
30k - World Eaters & Alpha legion

Painting and Hobby blog:
http://mattdoeshobbyandpainting.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to “Space Marines”