Favorite Thing in the New Codex?

The Adeptus Astartes - Saviours of Mankind.
Incarnet

Favorite Thing in the New Codex?

Post by Incarnet » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:16 pm

The title says it all, what is your favorite change the new codex brought about?

My favorite so far is the return of the standard space marine profile to space marine scouts. Its a great reminder that the vast majority of Space Marine Chapters only attempt to induct people who have already proven themselves as veteran warriors before their bio-modifications even begin.

It also helps that I have about 60 of the little buggers ;)

Brother Demetrius

Re: Favorite Thing in the New Codex?

Post by Brother Demetrius » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:22 pm

That's a tough question. Having read through it over and over again I'm quite pleased with a lot. I'm having a hard time picking any one thing in particular. I'll just start a list.

First, I'm liking a lot of the artwork that was put in, very detailed and unique. Although not too fond of the way they did the cartoony looking Astartes with different color plates, I do like how they should more variety in what kinds of markings there are.

The Gladius Strike Force formation: Yes please. I love it. It is what I think of how a chapter or company organizes into a fighting force for any situation. It has a lot of great benefits as well as retaining the benefits for each formation you add in. And as an Ultramarine player with a drop pod company, I'm really liking it. And yes I have done some list building, you can run two Demi-companies and some auxiliary formation at 2k, with points aside for upgrades and what not.

Third, Vehicle Squadrons: I have been waiting for this. While I don't have much ground vehicles at the moment, I will say that a Astartes Predator is not the same as a Leman Russ, and it would make more sense for a rapid strike tank to work in groups to take advantage of its speed and killing power. The added benefits of having three tanks makes fielding them even more cool because it gives a benefit that makes sense because they are all working together, while loosing one means that you've just lost that much firepower.

My last favorite is more that I'm glad to see some points reduction in some over costed items. Not really going to list any because some might not agree but for the most part it I think the points reductions were fair and needed in some spots, my biggest one is the reduction in points for the Stormtalon weapons as I can now use them as I want, not just making them cheap as possible to have two fragile but still good flyers on the table.
Make Peace or DIE!!

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:27 am

I'm loving the Formations. They are direct representations of how the Space Marines field their forces in battle. Spamming good units is already good, but these new Formations give you bonuses for playing Marines how they are "meant" to be played instead.

Brother Demetrius

Post by Brother Demetrius » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:50 am

I agree with you on that Loopy. The formations give the feel of a cohesive fighting force all working together to achieve victory. Space Marines are known to be a quick strike force with lethal precision, all while working with each other.
Make Peace or DIE!!

frutescent

Post by frutescent » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:17 pm

The Galdius Strike Force.

I love everything about it. It encourages you to play a fairly balanced army, but still allows you to add in a heap of pretty much whatever you want after the initial core of the army. It also- perhaps most importantly - gives you a solid hobby goal. The demi company should be the new goal of a lot of people coming into the hobby and should encourage existing players to spend a bit more time on those units they know are going to be in just about every army they field.

On the downside, I'm disappointed that this doesn't now exist for other marine armies. The Dark Angels might have it soon (though I don't expect them to), but I would like to see it become retroactively available for the other chapters.

cicero

Post by cicero » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:27 pm

frutescent wrote:The Galdius Strike Force.

I love everything about it. It encourages you to play a fairly balanced army, but still allows you to add in a heap of pretty much whatever you want after the initial core of the army. It also- perhaps most importantly - gives you a solid hobby goal. The demi company should be the new goal of a lot of people coming into the hobby and should encourage existing players to spend a bit more time on those units they know are going to be in just about every army they field.

On the downside, I'm disappointed that this doesn't now exist for other marine armies. The Dark Angels might have it soon (though I don't expect them to), but I would like to see it become retroactively available for the other chapters.
I agree 100%. I think GW has really hit its stride with formations and detachments. I know it makes me want to buy and paint more toys.

I look forward to seeing 7th ed versions of every codex in tho new style.
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

Strumwulf

Post by Strumwulf » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:01 pm

The Gladius strike force and the formations are my absolute favorites. The changes in weapon and unit costs are my second favorite changes.
From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith.
From faith cometh honor. From honour cometh iron.
This is the Unbreakable Litany. And may it forever be so.

from The Iron Within by Rob Sanders

Cieged

Post by Cieged » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:09 am

I like that they didn't close the open-endedness of the Codex. My biggest praise of their 6th edition version was that the viable build potential was so varied than it was previously and I'm glad to see that hasn't changed. Bikes work, Scouts work, Tacticals can work, a Deathstar can be built, following Chapter Fluff isn't out of the question, etc.

DestroyApathy

Post by DestroyApathy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:07 am

I'm with most others here. I love the variety that the new approach of codex writing has brought about. I don't play marines myself, but my Dad does, and I'm really pleased that he now has soooo many interesting ways to play his force.

I said in the build up to the codex's release that it wouldn't seem right for the Space Marines' specific detachment to lose Objective Secured on its troops as we have seen with pretty much all other codexes. Marines are just so tactical that they shouldn't.

Well it went one better, with not only the troops getting it in the Demi Company. I love that; it captures that they're possibly the most tactical, precise and robust armies.

Biodon13

Post by Biodon13 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Dreadnoughts...love the upgrade to stats with no points increase...They are still not the beasts that they should be, but a definite step in the correct direction.
Biodon13

"Our only fear is that our enemy will not attack at night, for if they do they will certainly be defeated." Sun Tzu

Check out my HPC photos at https://plus.google.com/photos/11757494 ... banner=pwa

Return to “Space Marines”