Apocalypse Terrain

Everything to do with Tabletop Terrain.
13th Legion

Re: Apocalypse Terrain

Post by 13th Legion » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:39 am

So I added some concept art and construction pics. I didn't realize how big the landing pad was until I measured one. So the space I alotted for it wasn't large enough. So I submitted my change order and the imperium approved it. I just finished the roof line aesthetics last night. I need to construct the front door and this building is complete. I started working on another building I'm calling the spire. It was inspired (haha) by a tower I kept seeing during ESPN commercials. This is going to a tall structure. I'm starting with a 9" square base and I'll slowly step it in until I have a 6" platform on top.

To elaborate on my process. I make concept sketches. Make some rough measurements. I overlap the corners to make the structure more sturdy. This pays off huge in that I make them convertible into ruins too, and they are still just as sturdy (I'd trust putting my Thunderbolt on it). I make sketches of what I want to do and then make stencils out of 100lb paper stock. It makes things uniform and it saves me time on the building I'm working on; and on the next buildings if I reuse any of the stencils. I use Elmers glue and I have a small clamp set that I use on tricky pieces. Painters tape for other items, I find it releases better than masking tape. The rest really is a steady hand and patience.

Why such big terrain? I wanted to make my Apoc stuff more realistic, but playable. Not everything is a ruin and not every ruin is just some random corner. Buildings are more than a car length wide and certainly in the year 40k they've learned to build structures taller than two stories. Apoc is a great place for this.

Thanks for appreciating my work,
Peter "13th Legion"

13th Legion

Post by 13th Legion » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:23 pm

Progress with concept art on 2*two story structures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/s ... directlink

Scroll to the right to see the latest.

13th Legion

Post by 13th Legion » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:57 pm

https://picasaweb.google.com/1011947037 ... directlink

I've been working on more buildings. I have my Mechanicum, which turned into my Dark Angels inspired building. I then started work on a Aquilla Cathedral. I also started and have nearly completed my Spire built for the center of the city of Agrellan Prime in the Damocles campaign. If you have any questions on how I built these, I'm happy to answer them. They are all made from foamcore.

See more pics at
http://www.facebook.com/apocluck

I discuss how I made them and ideas regularly on my show, ngc40k.

Check that out at http://www.ngc40k.com

cicero

Post by cicero » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:39 am

Looks fantastic mate. You have a great sense for scale and your buildings actually look like buildings. Look forward to seeing your game :)
2016 HPC Waaagh!Armour Get' em

DanRiverBrew

Post by DanRiverBrew » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:28 am

OMG! it's all so big and grand. I love the eagles at the corner of the buildings. Now how big is the table you are playing this on or will it be on a basketball court or something?

13th Legion

Post by 13th Legion » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:59 pm

I run an Apoc series throughout the year and the finale is always something special. This year was the Damocles Warzone and the Tau are continuing their advance into the Agrellan Prime hive city. The final table will be 24'x5', 14 players, 95k+ pts on the table or more. It will be epic.

13th Legion

Post by 13th Legion » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:26 pm

The final piece for the 2015 Apoc Luck series Finale.

http://ngc40k.com/2015/11/12/may-i-pres ... cathedral/

Bubo

Post by Bubo » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Wow! This is wonderful stuff - the explodey-ness of the buildings is so impressive.

I bow to your skills!
Nurglesque

13th Legion

Post by 13th Legion » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:23 pm

If you haven't heard already, I'm building a custom piece of terrain for the Life after the Cover Save non-raffle. So go to their facebook page and get you a ticket. Blake and Ed are doing a world tour, so please show your support. As the project progresses, I'll post pictures on www.ngc40k.com

DanRiverBrew

Post by DanRiverBrew » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:55 am

cicero wrote:Those are splendid. Your detail cutting is incredible and makes my terrain look like a 4-year old built it :)
LOL, this made me laugh.

Great job on the terrain. So many big structures. They will look amazing when they are done and painted up. definitely following this thread now

Return to “Tabletop Terrain”