Eldar Web Way Gate

Everything to do with Tabletop Terrain.
Diamortis

Eldar Web Way Gate

Post by Diamortis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:55 am

Pic of my latest Terrain project, an ancient Eldar Webway gate in a sort of Stargate way.

The uprights are plaster of paris moulds, the base is a scenic base by Foundations of war. Bit of foamboard basing and plastercine landscaping and flock.

Colours: gesso seal on the plaster (to stop paint soak), skull white, sepia wash, drybrush white/ bleached bone. The stones are just the appropriate foundation colour and a drybrush highlight to put some glow on the base around them.

Makes a great objective marker, have used it in 2 combat patrol mini tournaments. It has a big footprint on the table and creates some interesting shooting in the age of true line of sight.

questions and comments welcome

dwtaylor

Re: Eldar Web Way Gate

Post by dwtaylor » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:53 am

It's great to see non-Imperial terrain, even if it is for those deviant witches ;) The weathering and damage look good, though personally I always imagine Eldar stuff as being super clean and shiny.

Any chance you could post a template? (maybe trace an outline onto some paper and then scan it or something)

fonkin

Post by fonkin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Wow, really nice, Diamortis!
"Why are the Eldar a dying race? Because I've been playing them for so long."

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:32 pm

Yeah this is very cool. I am always curious to see more Eldar or even Tau Terrain. I love the Tau terrain they show in the books and its killing me to find out how they make some of it.
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:20 pm

Looks pretty good, you planning on making some more Eldar terrain?
*The comment above was not intended to be a factual statement.*

Diamortis

Post by Diamortis » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:42 am

Cheers for the feedback, guys.

dwtaylor, Thanks, i've been talking with my fellow club members and i'm trying to create a terrain piece for each army we have in the club. Makes the objectives more interesting if they seem more relevant. I mean, why the hell would Eldar fight to control a human ammo dump when they could shoot it and deny it's use for example. I took my lead from Stargate a bit on this but i wanted a gate that had been long forgotten, pillaged a bit and thought lost and deactivated. Throw in my brothers 1000 sons and we have a story that writes itself and an objective worth fighting for.

On the template front, it's not going to be as easy to lay flat as i'd like but i will gladly give you all the assistance i can if you want to make your own. I will take a look at templateing it. If that doesn't work i can take photos of the individual parts next to a ruler to get dimensions, or draw up some rough plans.

Fonkin, cheers dude.

Cvtuttle, Thanks! I know what you mean about that Tau terrain, alot of clean work there that makes it pop out vs the more battle damaged terrain of other races. I liked the idea of a neglected gate hammering home the lost empire feel of the Eldar (maybe it's the British in me)

Thorn, Thanks man. I've got a much smaller piece of Eldar-ish plaster i'm using in jungle piece (it's actually glue gunned into a removable middle section to allow the middle of it to be removed for units to occupy) but other then that not really. I'm scheduled next to work on a factory ruin and then a chaos temple and altar set up. I'd like to do more Eldar stuff in the future (for my 3k of Eldar to play in) but full plate at the moment.

Thanks for taking an interest guys,

Carl

Return to “Tabletop Terrain”