Ulf's Terrain

Everything to do with Tabletop Terrain.
Ulf

Ulf's Terrain

Post by Ulf » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Here are some terrain pics. Hopefully these can serve as inspiration for others to try building some more colorful &/or unique pieces than the standard grey & black drybrushed buildings that we all see so often.

Enjoy! :)

Inquisitor Moloko
IC Staff

Re: Ulf's Terrain

Post by Inquisitor Moloko » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:13 pm

I really like the way you used bright colors in so many of these pieces. Just because terrain is a game's "background" to the figures doesn't mean it has to be boring. How long does it take to make something like this once you already have an idea? Do you draw a picture for yourself before you start? Are there any unusual materials you favor (outside of the standard foam and MDF)?
Geoff Hummel
Co-Host of The Independent Characters (Retired)

scotteos

Post by scotteos » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:59 pm

Good stuff... and using very basic materials, so not too expensive I presume? I really like that it all looks "model friendly" with plenty of flats to actually have the models stand on it. A lot of nice looking terrain I have seen is hard to use, but your stuff looks good and handles playablity well!
"War, war never changes..."

Ulf

Post by Ulf » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks guys!

@Moloko... They're pretty quick to make, actually. But that comes with practice more than from any kind of planning. I used to run a terrain manufacturing studio, so I'd make like 100-150 pieces a week. Each piece takes about an hour to an hour & a half to put together. But that's done in 15 minute increments with 5 to 10 hours of dry time in between each step.

I usually use a dry-erase board to sketch out the rough concepts, but that's about it as far as planning goes.

@scotteos... Thanks! Yeah, that's something I try to take into account when making these pieces. Nothing worse than terrain that's supposed to be "difficult" or "dangerous" but is, in reality, just a no-go zone because models can't be placed in it. :)

Plus, flat even surfaces take a lot of abuse well, so the stuff lasts for a long time, and holds up to lots of use.
Last edited by Ulf on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ulf

Post by Ulf » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:25 pm

Here are some more pics. The first one is a lava-themed display stand I made for sale maybe two years ago.

scotteos

Post by scotteos » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:47 pm

I'll probably borrow (steal) some ideas from these pics when I get around to doing my terrain sets. I love scratch building terrain "old school" style without too much other than rocks, foam, household items, bits, plasticard etc. but I will eventually integrate some GW stuff to make my terrain fit the theme and to spread the cost of those kits out over a greater area!

Its all about bang for the buck... especially with scenery.
"War, war never changes..."

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:38 am

Wow these are really nice. Do you by any chance do any commission work for terrain pieces like these?
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

Ulf

Post by Ulf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:42 am

Thanks! Yeah, I can probably do a couple of pieces. I ran a terrain making and commission painting business until about six months ago, when the economic hole we're in right now forced me to go into another line of work to keep the lights on.

I still have my studio set up for the moment, and some supplies left. PM me if you want to discuss it in further detail.

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Oh the wonders of foam cutters:) Thats come great terrain, I like how you use a color pallet that isnt just black, grey, grey, and more grey.
*The comment above was not intended to be a factual statement.*

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:58 am

Ok Ulf - giving some thought to what I might need/want. I'll PM you in a few days.
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

Return to “Tabletop Terrain”