Episode 158 - Updates from the 41st Millennium

Have an idea, comment or complaint about the show? Be heard here.
cvtuttle
IC Staff

Episode 158 - Updates from the 41st Millennium

Post by cvtuttle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:39 pm

Episode 158 of The Independent Characters see us discussing the evolution of the Warhammer 40,000 lore. We have seen the timeline move forward a bit and we spend some time talking about what that all means. Taking a look at the various factions and what the impact of the changes are on each of them.

Additionally we have an interview with Jay Wilson. He was the original creative director for Dawn of War 1. We spend some time talking about that much beloved video game and how it all came to pass.

We hope you enjoy the show!

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3961
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

The Grand Old Duke

Re: Episode 158 - Updates from the 41st Millennium

Post by The Grand Old Duke » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:24 am

Another stellar episode! I love the fact that the lore is advancing its great to see the story moving forward, and the effect that its having on the models we're receiving is great, even if you don't particularly like the way some units appear in the lore (Primaris).

The cinematic nature of the 8th edition rules set is incredible and it just makes the lore pop off the pages and onto the tabletop in an amazing way I don't remember seeing in previous editions.

loved the interview with Jay, I played a ton of DOW, and the sequels, and as someone who has been working in the games industry for 10 years its always interesting to hear other peoples experiences of development. They did such a great job of making a game that was true to the setting but still managed to forge its own distinctive narrative, so much so that we are now finally getting a Gabriel Angelos model, and boy what a model!!

P.S. I hope, whenever Carl plays with Calgar, he renames him to Carlgar.

Fomite

Post by Fomite » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:11 pm

A question on the Primaris Marines:

What would you tell a new player to get (or a player whose new to Space Marines)?

You've stated in the past that you think one day the standard Marine kits will go away, and I'm pretty sure I agree with you. But at the moment if you just went with Primaris kits, you'd be really limited in terms of what you can field. And honestly, most of the Primaris units are, at this point, just OK performance wise.

So do you build what will still likely be a "Mostly Standard Space Marines" army and accept that in (likely) a few years you'll be dealing with conspicuously tiny dudes?

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:40 pm

Fomite wrote:A question on the Primaris Marines:

What would you tell a new player to get (or a player whose new to Space Marines)?

You've stated in the past that you think one day the standard Marine kits will go away, and I'm pretty sure I agree with you. But at the moment if you just went with Primaris kits, you'd be really limited in terms of what you can field. And honestly, most of the Primaris units are, at this point, just OK performance wise.

So do you build what will still likely be a "Mostly Standard Space Marines" army and accept that in (likely) a few years you'll be dealing with conspicuously tiny dudes?

It's a great question and I agree if you go ONLY Primaris Marines at this point you are VERY limited. I think regular marines are going to be around for YEARS to come (8-10 imho) so I think you have time to get invested in Marines. But thats something every person will need to decide for themselves.
Carl Tuttle

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:40 pm

The Grand Old Duke wrote:Another stellar episode! I love the fact that the lore is advancing its great to see the story moving forward, and the effect that its having on the models we're receiving is great, even if you don't particularly like the way some units appear in the lore (Primaris).

The cinematic nature of the 8th edition rules set is incredible and it just makes the lore pop off the pages and onto the tabletop in an amazing way I don't remember seeing in previous editions.

loved the interview with Jay, I played a ton of DOW, and the sequels, and as someone who has been working in the games industry for 10 years its always interesting to hear other peoples experiences of development. They did such a great job of making a game that was true to the setting but still managed to forge its own distinctive narrative, so much so that we are now finally getting a Gabriel Angelos model, and boy what a model!!

P.S. I hope, whenever Carl plays with Calgar, he renames him to Carlgar.

I LOVED Dawn of War 1. I played a TON of this. I wish I had thought about Carlgar.. but I would need to give him a huge baldspot.
Carl Tuttle

cerus

Post by cerus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:20 am

As per usual great episode guys, really enjoyed the interview with Jay Wilson having also played an absolute ton of Dawn of War. The follow up games were good but the original was great!

Listening to you mighty fine folks always encourages me to be doing more hobby, if only I could find the time...

Anubis1028

Post by Anubis1028 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:06 pm

Really interesting show guys, the lore segments are always my favourite. As interesting as you made it, I of course had to go out and pick up the Dark Imperium novel. I'm enjoying it so far, and it has raised some interesting points. Really, really fun fact that Cawl has access to geneseeds from all twenty of the Legions, including the Lost. While I don't think this will lead to any more information on the fates of the two missing Legions, it is a nice backdoor from GW to allow the people who made up their own armies that came from the Lost to be able to include Primaris Marines. Because yeah, if anyone *really* believes Cawl isn't going to go there with them or the geneseeds from the traitor Legions, well.... :lol:

Return to “Show Discussion”