Episode 152 - The Horus Heresy Book 7: Part 1

Have an idea, comment or complaint about the show? Be heard here.
cvtuttle
IC Staff

Episode 152 - The Horus Heresy Book 7: Part 1

Post by cvtuttle » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:51 pm

Episode 152 of The Independent Characters begins our long awaited coverage of Horus Heresy Book 7 – Inferno!

To help us out with this coverage we have enlisted Josh Sawyer on this episode. A member of our local gaming group and a huge fan of The Thousand Sons. Josh has helped us pour over this massive tome and has prepared extensively for this episode!

Before we launch into our coverage of the latest Horus Heresy Forge World book, we spend a few minutes talking hobby progress, the latest on 8th Edition of Warhammer 40k (which had just announced the day before we recorded), and include an interview with Paul Murphy of the Forge The Narrative Podcast – where we ALSO talk about the excitement around the new edition of Warhammer 40k!

All in all, it looks like a great time to be involved in this game. We hope you enjoy the show!

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3925
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

Berman

Re: Episode 152 - The Horus Heresy Book 7: Part 1

Post by Berman » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:25 am

Carl,

I think the big change on the codexs being completely invalidated is that this hasn't happened before. Yes my codex will eventually be replaced but day 1 it is the legal rules and will see my codex collection be updated over a couple years allowing me to absorb the cost of updating those books rather than having more than $1500 in books become imm fairly useless when in the past that hasn't been the case.

Now I believe it's for the best as far as game play and rules perspective. As a customer it hurts.

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:40 am

It happened in 3rd edition. The reality is that it hasn't really happened to the majority of people playing the game today :P
Carl Tuttle

Fomite

Post by Fomite » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:03 pm

cvtuttle wrote:It happened in 3rd edition. The reality is that it hasn't really happened to the majority of people playing the game today :P

Yeah...as someone who played Sisters of Battle and Dark Angels since 3rd, I thought the "There's a new edition coming out, of course the codexes are going to get invalidated" thing was funny.

Not listening to the core of the episode yet, as I'm writing my own review of Inferno and I'm trying not to color my opinion with yours :)

I have to say I'm with Adan on the unit rules thing.

If I point to a unit and say "What's that do?" and you say "They have Fearless, Rending and Feel No Pain" you know what's happening.

If I point to a unit and say "What's that do?" and you say "They've got Drillbill. If any enemy unit ends its charge within 1" of a unit with a Drillbill, roll a dice. On a 2 or more the unit suffers a mortal wound.” That's both more complex, isn't familiar to you, and relies on you actually remembering your rule correctly.

I don't think it's a fatal flaw, but I also don't think "The rules are out there for free" is the solution people want it to be, because my time isn't free, and sitting down to read a bunch of warscrolls for units I may someday see is...not what I'm going to do with my hobby time.

I'm sure in play it's not going to be important enough to really matter, but I wish there was a greater use of USRs in 40K, not less of one. I'll note that your boogeymen, the Tau, are build around non-USRs ;)

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:07 am

That's a fair point about the time. All I know is that it seems to work very well for me in AoS. It flows smoother than I expected. I don't know that USRs are needed anymore to be honest. (Of course I am also not a game designer so maybe I cannot anticipate larger issues as a result of this change...)
Carl Tuttle

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Fomite wrote:..."They've got Drillbill....

...but I also don't think "The rules are out there for free" is the solution people want it to be, because my time isn't free, and sitting down to read a bunch of warscrolls for units I may someday see is...not what I'm going to do with my hobby time.

^This.

It's one of the main reasons I don't play Infinity. I don't want to remember the rules/combos for every other faction and the odd names for them.
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:42 am

You don't HAVE to remember the rules for everyone's army because it's right there. Obviously as you get more experience playing against certain armies you start to learn what to look out for though.
Carl Tuttle

Gunzhard

Post by Gunzhard » Thu May 04, 2017 10:54 am

Some of you other old timers might remember, the entire reason they added 'Universal Special Rules' was because there were so many similar or identical-named rules that did slightly different things across so many different sources. There is no denying though that today the USR section of the book seems so unwieldy and clunky.

Basically if we have just as many rules, spread out over several sources (which doesn't appear to be the plan so far) then I'm not really a fan of this idea (again)... but if they really streamline and cut the fat, I'd be happy with a 'warscroll' type format.

Everything I've seen so far looks really amazing. I was, I am - weary of the "listening to the community" stance they've taken as I generally see this community as pretty ridiculous haha, and even Reece for example pushes a style of play that I want nothing to do with. But yeah, so far I'm optimistic.

For the people crying about invalidated books I feel zero sympathy.

Return to “Show Discussion”