Episode 151 - Show of Force: Servants of The Star Gods

Have an idea, comment or complaint about the show? Be heard here.
cvtuttle
IC Staff

Episode 151 - Show of Force: Servants of The Star Gods

Post by cvtuttle » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:29 pm

Episode 151 of The Independent Characters brings us back to our Show of Force format. This time around we talk about the Servants of The Star Gods - or in more common terms, The Necrons!

To help us out with this coverage we have enlisted Aaron Nascimento on this episode. He is a regular member of our gaming group who has played Necrons prior to them even having a Codex!

Before we launch into our Necron coverage though, we have a lengthy Hobby Progress section, which includes a discussion about our time at Adepticon this year. We also have two interviews, one with The 13th Legion, the guys responsible for the massive Helsreach battle that took place there. The second interview is with Justin Jones, a player in the Helsreach game who has lost his vision. This is a really interesting interview which can help many put their gaming lives into perspective.

We hope you enjoy the show!

Adan wrote:As an additional note, I said Doug ran a Space Wolves army. That was incorrect. It was a White Scars Gladius formation army.

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3919
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

Prodigalson

Re: Episode 151 - Show of Force: Servants of The Star Gods

Post by Prodigalson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:48 am

Loved the episode but you guys forgot about a great Necron Background piece in books that is worth noting. It is WAY out of print, but Xenology is amazing. https://www.amazon.com/Xenology-Researc ... 1844162826

Keep up the good work!

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:27 pm

Prodigalson wrote:Loved the episode but you guys forgot about a great Necron Background piece in books that is worth noting. It is WAY out of print, but Xenology is amazing. https://www.amazon.com/Xenology-Researc ... 1844162826

Keep up the good work!

Didn't know about that one. Thanks!!!
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Gunzhard

Post by Gunzhard » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Just halfway through this one... great so far. The interview with Justin was really interesting, I feel like we'd be a good team, I am good at painting and enjoy the social aspect but I am an absolute crap 40k player and wouldn't mind having somebody telling me what to move and shoot haha.

Also, what were the requirements for the tablewar contest again? ...did it involve facebook (hope not)?

Thanks again guys.

Berman

Post by Berman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:56 am

Thank goodness I already have a necron army. Inspired me to paint it up, but not to buy.

Anubis1028

Post by Anubis1028 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:50 pm

Just finished the episode, some comments:

1. Great hearing from The 13th Legion - the pictures of the Hellsreach game were amazeballs and it was really cool to hear more about it. Went straight from listening to the episode to looking up their website and signing on.

2. The interview with Justin was incredibly interesting as well as inspiring to see the determination and dedication of someone to a game they love. Plus it's awesome to hear about the people in the hobby willing to step forward and go out of their way to help someone in their hobby endeavors. Thanks for sharing his story.

3. I remember when Necrons were first popping up as small mysterious raiding forces at the end of 2nd ed. I have to say that I've always preferred the slow, soulless and mindless creeping horror version that was originally the fluff as opposed to the more current iteration. But in the sense that it represented the fact that the first forces that were coming out of stasis were only acting on the most basic survival functions and now that more dynasties are waking up and more of the command and deeper programming protocols are also being activated...it does make sense. Personally, when I occasionally play my old Necron force, I still run it as a small isolated raiding force - all warriors, Immortals, and scarab swarms with a single Monolith as heavy support. I also use a mix of the original metals and old plastic "Chaos androids" as Immortals, and the new plastics and some metal models from an old third party Space Hulk "homage" game called Legions of Steel as warriors. Can't run them in a GW store but gives my army a unique look :D
https://goo.gl/photos/MyucAcxnDKS75Zu7A

4. In the whole"Kuh-tahn/Suh-tahn" debate, I was always of the mind it was "Kuh-tahn" until Adan threw out the Satan comment! Considering GW has mentioned in the Necron lore before about how the image of the Nightbringer had come down thru the eons to be a representation of actual Death to even the relatively young race of Humanity, it makes perfect sense that "Suh-tahn" would also tie into a racial memory echo. Mayyyyybe I'm reading too much into it, but...

5. Dating myself here, but I also remember the first time I saw the first Die Hard and thinking that it was really strange to see David from Moonlighting in an action movie :lol:

Grots Life

Post by Grots Life » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Necrons would be good in Space Hulk.

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:43 pm

Gunzhard wrote:Also, what were the requirements for the tablewar contest again? ...did it involve facebook (hope not)?

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3908

[MOD]
[/MOD]

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Anubis1028 wrote:4. In the whole"Kuh-tahn/Suh-tahn" debate, I was always of the mind it was "Kuh-tahn" until Adan threw out the Satan comment!

Yeah, he's clearly Death, and therefore "Suh-tahn".

[MOD]
[/MOD]

Return to “Show Discussion”