Episode 149 - The Hidden Benefits of 40k

Have an idea, comment or complaint about the show? Be heard here.
cvtuttle
IC Staff

Episode 149 - The Hidden Benefits of 40k

Post by cvtuttle » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:07 pm

Episode 149 of The Independent Characters covers not only the 2 day airbrush class we all just attended, but we also delve into the hidden benefits of Warhammer 40k.

A couple of years ago we covered the hidden costs of Warhammer 40k, and this time we look at the other side of that coin.

Before we jump into that though, we start off with an interview with Kat and Caleb of CK Studios. We have a discussion about what our expectations are and what the class is going to cover, and then immediately follow that up with our Hobby Progress section which takes place immediately AFTER completing the class. It’s a nice follow up and closure to the whole thing.

We hope you enjoy.

Also - do not forget about our TABLEWAR Contest! You could easily win a Tablewar MacroMat!

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3908
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

Grots Life

Re: Episode 149 - The Hidden Benefits of 40k

Post by Grots Life » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:20 pm

Good show. I'll start the list of things that slipped by. One big hidden benefit of 40K is that the game gets housework done. Example: I'm going to my flgs on Sunday to throw down some dice and stomp on some heretics. Well, to free up Sunday, you better make sure the grass is cut, laundry is done and dishes washed on Saturday.

Also, when you were talking about what to tell non-gamers about the game and how deep in the rabbit hole they want to go, perhaps you can do a newbie episode. Warhammer 40K, What It's All About. A primer on the Grim Dark future. Who's who, what's what and if you're going to start playing, we suggest you... Basically, a show for people who are brand spanking new to 40K or thinking of getting involved.

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:19 pm

Grots Life wrote:Good show. I'll start the list of things that slipped by. One big hidden benefit of 40K is that the game gets housework done. Example: I'm going to my flgs on Sunday to throw down some dice and stomp on some heretics. Well, to free up Sunday, you better make sure the grass is cut, laundry is done and dishes washed on Saturday.

hahah thats a great point!
Carl Tuttle

Fomite

Post by Fomite » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:26 pm

This was a great episode. A couple extended thoughts:

1. The "don't you do stuff with glue" comment - I have gotten really, really good with adhesives. I am probably one of the least handy people you will ever meet - until something calls for a very tiny drill, two-part epoxy and a pair of non-ferrous tweezers. Then I'm *there*.

2. The friendship thing, while it seems trivial, really isn't. There's a lot of studies that show that over time men lose their social networks, and this has a pretty adverse effect on their long term health, especially during crisis.

3. On the other skills you get - an alacrity with basic probability. Ignoring the politics of it, the most recent election had a lot of people going "How did Nate Silver get it so wrong!?". I asked a gamer friend of mine "When was the last time you failed a 3+ save." That illustrated really well what that actually means probability wise.

Anubis1028

Post by Anubis1028 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Great breakdown of the positives that can come from the hobby, especially the part about spouses - my wife has gotten into both 40k and AoS thru my interest, and while she doesn't play a lot, she enjoys the games we play (and gives me a reason to put together another army :D ).

Also greatly enjoyed the coverage of the CK Studios airbrush class, definitely plan to sign up this next week for their Denver class in June. So I've been pondering dropping the hammer on painting up a Howling Griffin force myself - Carl, did you say Caleb did the HG dread all in yellow and then used the GW red glaze to quarter it? I saw the picture on their page and it looks great!

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:22 pm

Anubis1028 wrote: Carl, did you say Caleb did the HG dread all in yellow and then used the GW red glaze to quarter it? I saw the picture on their page and it looks great!

Yep - that's how he did it. I never would have guessed.
Carl Tuttle

Gunzhard

Post by Gunzhard » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:24 pm

Grots Life wrote:Good show. I'll start the list of things that slipped by. One big hidden benefit of 40K is that the game gets housework done. Example: I'm going to my flgs on Sunday to throw down some dice and stomp on some heretics. Well, to free up Sunday, you better make sure the grass is cut, laundry is done and dishes washed on Saturday.

Hah this is true for me too. Especially if I have the guys over to my nerd dungeon, all of the bathrooms, the kitchen, recycling bins (for huge amounts of beer cans) etc etc need to be addressed both before and after.

Not to mention when I am procrastinating boring assembly-line paint jobs, the house magically gets clean. I guess sort of like Adan, batch painting and the push to get an army done does generally stress me out - painting individual models on the other hand I find incredibly therapeutic. I can't wait to have a completed army so I can just paint freely.

Anyway great show guys - thanks for all of the info on CK studios. I've signed up for their class at Nova. I've been airbrushing for around 10 years now and I never really got past some general light/shadow base-coating. I am excited to step up my game!

Gunzhard

Post by Gunzhard » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:36 am

Just to follow up regarding the forum. I don't have Facebook due to work (and politics) so it's nice to have somewhere to go for lurking and even the occasional post. That said, I'm just one person and if the cost outweighs the value for you guys, I more than understand why you'd rather not deal with it.

This also reminds me, as someone not on FB, is there anyway to join those FB (through Google?) hangouts, like CK studios does?

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:01 am

Their hangouts are all done on Google. Let me find the links.
Carl Tuttle

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:42 pm

Yup. I call it earning "spouse points."

Fomite wrote:2. The friendship thing, while it seems trivial, really isn't. There's a lot of studies that show that over time men lose their social networks, and this has a pretty adverse effect on their long term health, especially during crisis.

I was just reading an article about this the other day. Pretty interesting. I was going to call my buddy about it but.... well.... I didn't..... um..... :(
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Return to “Show Discussion”