Episode 147 – Show of Force: The Great Devourer

Have an idea, comment or complaint about the show? Be heard here.
cvtuttle
IC Staff

Episode 147 – Show of Force: The Great Devourer

Post by cvtuttle » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:36 pm

Episode 147 of The Independent Characters returns to our Show of Force. This time it is The Great Devourer! Better known as the Tyranids.

First we open with some hobby progress, then a quick interview with CK Studios about their airbrushing class, and then we move into our coverage of our love/hate relationship with one of the most iconic Warhammer 40k Armies.

This is a lengthy discussion of where the Tyranids come from, both in fiction and as it relates to the Warhammer 40k game.

We hope you enjoy.

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3869
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

Tallassarinus

Re: Episode 147 – Show of Force: The Great Devourer

Post by Tallassarinus » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:29 am

Awesome episode, guys!

I really love the 40k universe and armies - pretty much all of them 'grip' me in the sense that I start thinking 'I could do a Biel-Tan Eldar force...' or 'I could do some Farsight battlesuits...', before having to slap myself and repeat the mantra 'stay on target!'. All of the current races are great additions to the 40k universe, and I love that they are all there. That said, there are a few which don't grip me as stuff I want to collect or play with - perhaps they don't match my personality or something - but I'm nonetheless very glad they are in the story as they add really some awesome elements and/or I'd really like others to collect them so I can play against them!

Tyrannids have always been in that latter category - I don't feel the urge to collect them, but want other people to so I can play against the terrifying all-devouring swarm. But that episode really upped their appeal for me! I'm unsure that I want to start painting them, but... perhaps a small force...

*slap*

Stay on target!
"Martial strategy is a set of expedients and reactions; it resists reduction to system and scholarship." - Ancient Terran War Sage

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:04 am

You guys really are dangerous. I always thought Tyranids would be the last army I'd want to collect but I'm having a hard time not looking at some Termagaunts. Like Justin, I have a lot of nostalgia for 2nd Edition Tyranids. Especially the Lictor. Look at that majestic, but sneaky, beast.

And here's my favourite. The pewter Termagaunts. They had a lot of character.

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:55 am

I big 'ol army of those metal models would certainly help you get your workout in, transporting them from game to game. :D
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Malahat Mike wrote:You guys really are dangerous. I always thought Tyranids would be the last army I'd want to collect but I'm having a hard time not looking at some Termagaunts. Like Justin, I have a lot of nostalgia for 2nd Edition Tyranids. Especially the Lictor. Look at that majestic, but sneaky, beast.

And here's my favourite. The pewter Termagaunts. They had a lot of character.

Apparently it resonated with a LOT of people. This is our Number 1 downloaded episode by a LARGE margin.
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

Malahat Mike

Post by Malahat Mike » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:46 am

cvtuttle wrote:Apparently it resonated with a LOT of people. This is our Number 1 downloaded episode by a LARGE margin.

Like Chaos Space Marines, I think there's a large ground swell of people who would play these if it wasn't mono-build or an uphill battle to play them on the table. GW made Chaos great again. Let see if they can knock a second out of the park (probably in 8th as you mentioned).

Berman

Post by Berman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:20 pm

Figured I would share the image here of the Tyranid army I was talking about during my interview with Carl.

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:40 pm

[needs more flyers]
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Fomite

Post by Fomite » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:29 pm

I had meant to post this a long time ago...

When you were talking about the Pharos being what drew the Nids in vs. the Astronomicon, I think you have to think of them by way of analogy. Imagine you're the Tyranids, hanging out in the deep void, pondering where to go next.

The Astronomicon is a constant, glowing light in the distance. There's something definitely there, but does it need to be checked out *now*?

The Pharos is someone flashing a high-powered flashlight right in your eyes, and then turning it off. Now you're interested...

Return to “Show Discussion”