Episode 144 - Variety of Play

Have an idea, comment or complaint about the show? Be heard here.
Berman

Re: Episode 144 - Variety of Play

Post by Berman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:17 am

We do a lot of maelstrom around here as well.

But we have a couple house rules in effect for tournaments.

#1 the classic, if you could never do it immediately toss and replace.

#2 you get to toss and replace a card at the end of every turn, on top of whatever the mission allows.

#3 we only play a couple of the book malestroms but mostly have written our own to include different maelstrom methods as a primary with a wide selection of secondaries like kill point slay warlord or hold objectives.

#4 we score differently. Maelstrom is a sliding scale score based on spread. Ties both players score 7, winner up 1-3 maelstrom points score 8-6, winner up 4-7 score 10-4, winner up 8-10 score 12-2, winner up 10+ score 10-0.

All the secondaries are then worth 2 points each, on top of this maelstrom spread score. Caps total score at 20. Any faction, model rule or warlord trait that grants VP adds to your maelstrom score.

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:00 am

Berman wrote:Ties both players score 7, winner up 1-3 maelstrom points score 8-6, winner up 4-7 score 10-4, winner up 8-10 score 12-2, winner up 10+ score 10-0.
This took me a second... This means if the winner wins by 1-3 points, they score 8, loser scores 6. Yes?
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Berman

Post by Berman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Yup. The you add secondaries ontop of that.

Inquisitor Valeria

Post by Inquisitor Valeria » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:52 am

cvtuttle wrote:This is a cool idea - does it lead to really high scoring games?
Can do, but it tends to be about the same as other maelstrom games I've played on average. There's an obvious risk in taking all high-scoring cards, and a scoring-potential ceiling taking all easy cards, so most people take a pretty balanced mix. Maybe 6 1-pointers, 3 D3s, 1 D6. That being said, some people are happy in knowing they can "for sure" get 10 points, and some are gamblers who go for the big money.
Survival is no birthright, but a prize wrested from an uncaring galaxy by forgotten heroes. Study the alien, the better to kill it.
HPC 2015: Chortoicetes ......... HPC 2013: Cotton Candy Kabal

Fomite

Post by Fomite » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:08 am

Inquisitor Valeria wrote:
cvtuttle wrote:This is a cool idea - does it lead to really high scoring games?
Can do, but it tends to be about the same as other maelstrom games I've played on average. There's an obvious risk in taking all high-scoring cards, and a scoring-potential ceiling taking all easy cards, so most people take a pretty balanced mix. Maybe 6 1-pointers, 3 D3s, 1 D6. That being said, some people are happy in knowing they can "for sure" get 10 points, and some are gamblers who go for the big money.
The Supremacy Deck effectively does this as well, and some of the "Go Big or Go Home" objectives are a blast.

Inquisitor Valeria

Post by Inquisitor Valeria » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:42 am

Fomite wrote: The Supremacy Deck effectively does this as well, and some of the "Go Big or Go Home" objectives are a blast.
Yeah? I never played with that deck. Never even saw it played with. It showed up in our store on the shelves for like two weeks and then was never seen again. *poof*

lol. I'm down to give it a shot, though.
Survival is no birthright, but a prize wrested from an uncaring galaxy by forgotten heroes. Study the alien, the better to kill it.
HPC 2015: Chortoicetes ......... HPC 2013: Cotton Candy Kabal

Jerre

Post by Jerre » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:03 am

I have been catching up with episodes and recently listened to this one. Another type of missions/gameplay that is popular over here is the ETC (european team championship) format. Not only for diehard tournament play but also for casual play. For all the types of missions I have played so far I find these the most balanced.

The ETC mission format combines maelstrom and eternal war and adds a kill point differential. The maelstrom part uses a subset of the cards (used to be 18 but they added a few more lately) and you could only score 2 each turn (3 these days). All the random point d3 values are also set at 2. So you need to score cards during the game but there is also an eternal war objective mission that requires you to score objectives at the end of the game. And lastly count up the difference in kill points which is capped at 8.

You always play with 6 objective markers (or 7 if there is a relic mission) and depending on the missions, certain of those objectives are also worth points at the end of the game or are used only for maelstrom during the game.

MISSION 1
Objective #1: Eternal War: Big Guns Never Tire - 5 Objectives (3 Victory Points each)
Objective #2: Maelstrom of War: Tactical Escalation
Deployment: Hammer and Anvil

MISSION 2
Objective #1: Eternal War: Crusade 4 objectives (3 Victory Points each)
Objective #2: Maelstrom of War: Cleanse and Control
Deployment: Vanguard Strike

MISSION 3
Objective #1: Eternal War: The Emperor’s Will (4 Victory Points for each EMPEROR'S WILL objective)
Objective #2: Maelstrom of War: Contact Lost
Deployment: Dawn of War

MISSION 4
Eternal War: The Relic (6 Victory Points; the relic is a separate objective from all others)
Objective #2: Maelstrom of War: Spoils of War
Deployment: Dawn of War

MISSION 5
Objective #1: Eternal War: The Scouring - Each player places three markers at least 6 "from the edge,
12" from each other worth 1, 2 and 3 points (point values noted in secret by the player deploying them).
Before rolling to seize the initiative, you reveal the value of each marker.
Objective #2: Maelstrom of War: Deadlock
Deployment: Vanguard Strike

MISSION 6
Objective #1: Eternal War: Crusade 4 objectives (3 Victory Points each)
Objective #2: Maelstrom of War: Contact Lost
Deployment: Hammer and Anvil

We use handy score sheets (http://www.teambelgium.eu/Rulespacks/20 ... eneral.pdf) to keep track of it. It seems like a lot of bookkeeping but after a few games when you get the hang of it, it's simple to calculate and even keep track of during the game.

If you play an MSU kind of list, you will propably score well in maelstrom and eternal war but might lose some points in kill points. If you play a big deathstar you might not give up a lot of kill points but you will struggle to score lots of maelstrom and eternal war.

I highly recommend giving it a try!
2012 HPC: Skyrar's Dark Wolves
2013 HPC: Raven Guard
2014 & 2015 HPC: Chi'quita Dynasty
2015 & 2016 HPC: Death Guard
2016 HPC: Word Bearers

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:44 am

I TOTALLY forgot about this but YES!! Ever since I heard about this on World's End Radio I wanted to try it. I wish one of the large conventions would change their team format to this. I really want to try it.
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

Anubis1028

Post by Anubis1028 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:45 pm

Jerre wrote: Another type of missions/gameplay that is popular over here is the ETC (european team championship) format. Not only for diehard tournament play but also for casual play. For all the types of missions I have played so far I find these the most balanced.

That sounds interesting....I'm googling it now and I see there's a 2015 pack, is there a more recent edition of the format or will that be the same?

Jerre

Post by Jerre » Wed May 03, 2017 7:12 am

2012 HPC: Skyrar's Dark Wolves
2013 HPC: Raven Guard
2014 & 2015 HPC: Chi'quita Dynasty
2015 & 2016 HPC: Death Guard
2016 HPC: Word Bearers

Return to “Show Discussion”