Episode 139 - Horus Heresy VI: Retribution (Part 2)

Have an idea, comment or complaint about the show? Be heard here.
cvtuttle
IC Staff

Episode 139 - Horus Heresy VI: Retribution (Part 2)

Post by cvtuttle » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:43 pm

Episode 139 of The Independent Characters continues our coverage of Horus Heresy 6: Retribution!

This is the second of our two-part coverage of this incredible book by Forge World.

As you know, last episode Carl lost his voice while recording. This episode we pick right back up where we left off. We complete our discussion around the background and storyline and then move right into the campaign system and description of the Shattered Legions, Black Shields, units and characters.

If you liked last episode, we know you are going to love this one!
http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3779
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

Gunzhard

Re: Episode 139 - Horus Heresy VI: Retribution (Part 2)

Post by Gunzhard » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:58 am

Fun episode; I listened to the previous episode (138) many times just to soak in all of those cool stories, I think I'll be doing the same with this one.

General comments - Yes Nemesis, and imo anything by James Swallow can be skipped. Years ago I tried to read Fear to Tread and had to stop, I've picked it up again and I am just struggling. I've read 5 gigantic 'The Expanse' novels in the time it's taken me to read half of this book. And his 40K Blood Angel books are enough to bring on the 'black rage' in me... well I better stop there haha.

So given that I won't likely finish Fear to Tread - what are the other 'must read' HH books? Clearly you are recommending Praetorian of Dorn, but what must I read before that?

Regarding Kill Team and the Tyranids... I was surprised by your comment, I've been trying to build a decent list and I'm coming up short. Synapse is primarily the issue I'm having. Due to restrictions the only Synapse models you can take are Zoanthropes (useless as single models) or Warriors (somewhat expensive for Kill Team)... so I've got a Broodlord and Genestealers, which I love anyway and Hormagaunts (Instinctive Behavior doesn't hurt "feed" units that much since they're 'single' units in Kill team)... but what else?
So far I have this (still making 10 IB tests but at least the results don't really hurt):

Code: Select all

Genestealer Brood
-- Broodlord (rending claws & scything talons)
-- 6 Genestealers (rending claws)
Hormagaunt Brood
-- 10 Hormagaunts
-198 points Total
Book IV - well damn, as soon as you guy started talking about the campaign system and the Kill Team type games, and the narrative missions I realized I must own this book. I love the Conquest campaign system (my blog carries on quite a bit about it) and we've been using it for our running narratives. I'm perhaps not as big a fan of the Black Library as you guys (I am a die-hard Blood Angels player) and I was long ago soured on the Horus Heresy serials - but the last episode and this episode you guys pulled me back into the story, so thanks for that. I don't play 30K but I agree Forgeworld has certainly done such an incredible job with these stories.

Regarding the Blood Angels specifically I was initially holding out for the next book, because I was under the impression that these were just stop-gap temporary rules for the legion, is that correct? Regardless, at this point you guys have sold me on this book.

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:26 pm

Gunzhard wrote:Fun episode; I listened to the previous episode (138) many times just to soak in all of those cool stories, I think I'll be doing the same with this one.

General comments - Yes Nemesis, and imo anything by James Swallow can be skipped. Years ago I tried to read Fear to Tread and had to stop, I've picked it up again and I am just struggling. I've read 5 gigantic 'The Expanse' novels in the time it's taken me to read half of this book. And his 40K Blood Angel books are enough to bring on the 'black rage' in me... well I better stop there haha.

So given that I won't likely finish Fear to Tread - what are the other 'must read' HH books? Clearly you are recommending Praetorian of Dorn, but what must I read before that?
Note sure how far back you are talking but these are all pretty much required imho:
  • Know No Fear
  • Angel Exterminatus
  • The Path of Heaven
  • The Unremembered Empire
  • Scars
  • Pharos
  • Angels of Caliban
Regarding Kill Team and the Tyranids... I was surprised by your comment, I've been trying to build a decent list and I'm coming up short. Synapse is primarily the issue I'm having. Due to restrictions the only Synapse models you can take are Zoanthropes (useless as single models) or Warriors (somewhat expensive for Kill Team)... so I've got a Broodlord and Genestealers, which I love anyway and Hormagaunts (Instinctive Behavior doesn't hurt "feed" units that much since they're 'single' units in Kill team)... but what else?
So far I have this (still making 10 IB tests but at least the results don't really hurt):

Code: Select all

Genestealer Brood
-- Broodlord (rending claws & scything talons)
-- 6 Genestealers (rending claws)
Hormagaunt Brood
-- 10 Hormagaunts
-198 points Total
Book IV - well damn, as soon as you guy started talking about the campaign system and the Kill Team type games, and the narrative missions I realized I must own this book. I love the Conquest campaign system (my blog carries on quite a bit about it) and we've been using it for our running narratives. I'm perhaps not as big a fan of the Black Library as you guys (I am a die-hard Blood Angels player) and I was long ago soured on the Horus Heresy serials - but the last episode and this episode you guys pulled me back into the story, so thanks for that. I don't play 30K but I agree Forgeworld has certainly done such an incredible job with these stories.

Regarding the Blood Angels specifically I was initially holding out for the next book, because I was under the impression that these were just stop-gap temporary rules for the legion, is that correct? Regardless, at this point you guys have sold me on this book.
I believe these are... not stop gap but at least a bit to get you going.

Didn't really consider synapse for tyranids - but this is a good point I hadn't considered...
Carl Tuttle

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:16 am

Another great covering of a Forge World book guys! As a hard core Heresy fan boy I thought i'd soaked it all up but when you started talking about bits that interlink with 40k stories I had no idea!

As a Salamander player this book is amazing, I love how Cassian is even better than before. If you want to be really horrible, use him (standard or reborn) and see how is unstoppable in Zone Mortalis. I thought he would be good but didn't realise just how good until I took him in an afternoon of 1000 point games with some friends. Lets put it this way, after 3 games I realised he was no fun and won't be using in the those small point games again. When he single handed wiped an entire death guard army out that was all terminators and dreads he does feel a little OP there.

I like the new direction of the disciples of the flame as well, adds even more the spirtual feel of them.

Vulkan Lives
HH Salamanders Hobby Challenge 2016
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8655

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:00 pm

cvtuttle wrote:
Gunzhard wrote: Note sure how far back you are talking but these are all pretty much required imho:
  • Know No Fear
  • Angel Exterminatus
  • The Path of Heaven
  • Scars
  • Pharos
  • Angels of Caliban
I'm going to add Thousand Suns and it's "evil" twin Prospero burns. As someone who wasn't very familiar with the TS lore, this was amazing.
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

cvtuttle
IC Staff

Post by cvtuttle » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:07 am

Adan wrote:
cvtuttle wrote:
Gunzhard wrote: Note sure how far back you are talking but these are all pretty much required imho:
  • Know No Fear
  • Angel Exterminatus
  • The Path of Heaven
  • Scars
  • Pharos
  • Angels of Caliban
I'm going to add Thousand Suns and it's "evil" twin Prospero burns. As someone who wasn't very familiar with the TS lore, this was amazing.
Completely agree
Carl Tuttle

Gunzhard

Post by Gunzhard » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:47 am

Thanks guys... I grabbed the first 2 for my kindle. :)

Return to “Show Discussion”