Thoughts on next year's challenge

Have an idea, comment or complaint about the show? Be heard here.
BlaineThPain

Re: Thoughts on next year's challenge

Post by BlaineThPain » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:11 am

Bowlzee wrote:A scenery challenge could be run in parallel with the main HPC if there is enough prize support for it etc.

Keep everyone happy :)
Interesting.. I don't think prize support would be required, but it might be fun to have a sub-forum similar to each of the CADs just for people working on terrain. We could come up with a few basic guidelines on what sort of projects would be valid for a meaningful commitment and just keep track of each other's progress. (ie, something like 10-15 hours of work, or 1 GW terrain kit, that sort or thing..)

Gigantor

Post by Gigantor » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:47 am

BlaineThPain wrote:
Bowlzee wrote:A scenery challenge could be run in parallel with the main HPC if there is enough prize support for it etc.

Interesting.. I don't think prize support would be required, but it might be fun to have a sub-forum similar to each of the CADs just for people working on terrain. We could come up with a few basic guidelines on what sort of projects would be valid for a meaningful commitment and just keep track of each other's progress. (ie, something like 10-15 hours of work, or 1 GW terrain kit, that sort or thing..)
This is just my opinion on all this, but I think that if you're going to make it work, a concurrently running challenge is the key. And I would avoid going by man hours or kits, but say that the completed challenge is a 6x4 or 4x4 table with 6-8+ terrain peices. In the same way that the HPC allows painters of all skill levels to partake, the guidelines need to be set in a way that everyone can be included. If that means challenger A wants to buy a FaT Mat and the GW imperial sector and Honoured Imperium kit for his that's cool.
If challenger B wants to scratch build an entire tabletop and terrain that's cool
If challenger C is looking for the frugal aspect and builds all of his terrain out of cardboard and a painted peice of chipboard, cool. In the last 3 wars against bare plastic they have found more and more ways to be inclusive of everyone's hobby level. If it was best painted I would never win so I would never try, so how do you guys think we could setup guidelines that are inclusive and get people motivated? And at the end of the day it doesn't need to be as official as the HPC. I'm certain that if we asked really nicely a Terrain Challenge subforum could be set up for us to run an unofficial challenge.
Paint for the Paint God!!
Brushes for his Throne!!
Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint. Glue, Prime, Paint.

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:02 am

BlaineThPain wrote:

If it's not going to be part of the prizes, why not just use the already existing Tabletop Terrain section?
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".
[/MOD]

BlaineThPain

Post by BlaineThPain » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Gigantor wrote:This is just my opinion on all this, but I think that if you're going to make it work, a concurrently running challenge is the key. And I would avoid going by man hours or kits, but say that the completed challenge is a 6x4 or 4x4 table with 6-8+ terrain peices. In the same way that the HPC allows painters of all skill levels to partake, the guidelines need to be set in a way that everyone can be included. If that means challenger A wants to buy a FaT Mat and the GW imperial sector and Honoured Imperium kit for his that's cool.
If challenger B wants to scratch build an entire tabletop and terrain that's cool
If challenger C is looking for the frugal aspect and builds all of his terrain out of cardboard and a painted peice of chipboard, cool. In the last 3 wars against bare plastic they have found more and more ways to be inclusive of everyone's hobby level. If it was best painted I would never win so I would never try, so how do you guys think we could setup guidelines that are inclusive and get people motivated? And at the end of the day it doesn't need to be as official as the HPC. I'm certain that if we asked really nicely a Terrain Challenge subforum could be set up for us to run an unofficial challenge.
Those are good points. I hadn't thought about it that way. A completed table sounds like a worthy challenge!

Wardog23

Post by Wardog23 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:04 pm

Adding a terrain section to the challenge could work like any of the other armies. There would just need to be some established guidelines to make it a bit challenging and fair. The problem I see is how to judge one peice of terrain vs another. One idea to use is adapting rubric and scoring system from tournament display boards. There are several of them out there whether it be nova or bao that could be used as a basis for the scoring.

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:20 pm

What are you guys' thoughts on, instead of figure cases, the prizes being cake and pie?

Ministerofpork

Post by Ministerofpork » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:31 pm

Big fan of both cake and pie.

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Another idea which has been batted around is lewd photos of Warhammer 40,000 podcasting personalities.

Wardog23

Post by Wardog23 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:09 pm

Lewd photos you say I'm listening. :-P

Adan
IC Staff

Post by Adan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:38 pm

Ummmm.... No.
All of my armies and current projects.

[MOD]
Red is my "moderator voice".