Episode 75 - Identifying Your 40k Playstyle

Have an idea, comment or complaint about the show? Be heard here.
cvtuttle
IC Staff

Episode 75 - Identifying Your 40k Playstyle

Post by cvtuttle » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:46 pm

Episode 75 of The Independent Characters addresses the problem of Identifying your Warhammer 40k Playstyle. To help us out with this, we have our good friend Josh joining us for a good portion of the show. So often players aren’t having as much fun as they could have with 40k because they are playing armies or builds within armies that go against the nature of the way they enjoy playing. We set out to identify a few of these different type of playstyles and hopefully point players in the right direction.

As the curse of Episode 74 appears to have been lifted, we also have a tremendously long Hobby Progress and Games Played section. There is a lot of good content here though, so we think you will enjoy!

Last but not least we discuss the Bay Area Open and some of the struggles this premier 40k GT had in their 2013 outing.

We hope you enjoy!
http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=2569
Carl Tuttle
Host of The Independent Characters

ElectricPaladin

Re: Episode 75 - Identifying Your 40k Playstyle

Post by ElectricPaladin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:09 pm

So, first of all, thanks for the excellent and in-depth discussion of playstyle. I still don't think I know what my playstyle is, but now I have a neat framework to continue to explore it with.

Also, I'd like to put myself out there on Battlefleet Gothic. I think it's one of the best-designed games out there. I can't say I'm the most expert of the experts, but I'd be more than happy to be part of the discussion, if you're interested in drafting members of the community to participate in your episode.

deadpirategamer

Post by deadpirategamer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:36 pm

Another great episode guys. I am looming forward to hearing about BFG when you guys do a show.

Oh, Carl, your wife is a saint because if I ordered that much from FW without telling mine she might literally murder me...and she puts up with a lot of my plasticrap addiction.

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:07 pm

It's been so long since I've played BFG that, even though I played it a LOT, I'd have nothing relevant to add especially since there's a fan-made living rulebook out there that people use now that I'd have no clue as to its contents.

I can, however, say that I play Orks in BFG as well and if I see Eldar across the table, I come within an inch of just reaching across the table for a handshake and saying "Good Game".

They are mad busted when played right. I almost literally have nothing that can touch them.

TheMadadh

Post by TheMadadh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:04 pm

Just curious. Does anyone, from a game design perspective, think that you should be given enough options within a single army book to accommodate (nearly) any of the play styles talked about this episode?

I know this sounds sort of obvious (Yeah, of course. Most already do!). But I get the feeling that a certain army's play style often gets pigeonholed through the ever evolving fluff and meta to the point that you could overlook other ways of building and playing the army.

In other words, is it possible to write a Codex that is both flexible enough to accommodate a variety of play styles, and unique enough not to get lost in the shuffle?

Great episode to listen to! Got me thinking, which is always a good thing.
Check out my hobby blog: Madadh of the Damned

blockade23

Post by blockade23 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:29 pm

TheMadadh wrote:Just curious. Does anyone, from a game design perspective, think that you should be given enough options within a single army book to accommodate (nearly) any of the play styles talked about this episode?

I know this sounds sort of obvious (Yeah, of course. Most already do!). But I get the feeling that a certain army's play style often gets pigeonholed through the ever evolving fluff and meta to the point that you could overlook other ways of building and playing the army.

In other words, is it possible to write a Codex that is both flexible enough to accommodate a variety of play styles, and unique enough not to get lost in the shuffle?

Great episode to listen to! Got me thinking, which is always a good thing.
I would say that most codexes try to provide enough options for players to do different styles. Not all those styles will be competitive. For example, IG can normally run gunline or defensive minded, or you can go with all vendettas, veterans with demo charges and a primaris psyker. Alteratively, I could run a crud ton of rough riders and simply charge into close combat. Same for most armies I feel. Daemons are perhaps one of the codexes that focuses almost entirely on assault and being aggressive because they have such limited shooting.

But that is where the allies system comes in. So while many codexes have the options to build any style of army, the vast majority become more pigeonholed because people want to win or buy cool looking units.

Besides, who doesn't want flyers instead of cavalry?

(Forgive my spelling - particularly with codexes - please!)
HPC-2016

Wisdom Hunters Warband & Renegades!
4th Arcadian IG
Crimson Consuls SM
Deathwatch Haltmoat Force Quartus

Record 2017 - 11/8/2
Acquired 2017:11 Painted: 108
Last Acquired: Cultists
Last Painted: Skeletons
WIP: Scenery (I Have a problem(?)

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:55 am

Most armies can fulfill all roles, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're good at them.

I think that armies are often equated to toolboxes and the units contained within to tools. I think this is an apt correlation, but I think I'd prefer to equate an army with a toolkit rather than a toolbox, a toolkit meant to provide a worker with the tools necessary to do their job.

In a toolkit, you're usually provided with some general tools that you can use to perform a myriad of tasks in your profession while others are really only for a specific task. Sure, a good mechanic probably could fix a car with a oil rig repair and maintenance toolkit, but I'm pretty sure he'd rather have his auto repair toolkit.

I guess to expand on this, you'd have to say "playing the game" is considered "getting THE job done" and using your army to do it, or "playing the game YOUR way" is "getting YOUR job done". Your toolkit, your codex, gets THE job done by helping you do YOUR job.

Blasing_Thorn

Post by Blasing_Thorn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:15 am

I roughly know my playstyle im a balanced player, but i need some help on my list. I normally run my DA bike squad, with my terminators on homer to drop in the second turn, one five man tac squad with interregator chappy in a razorback witj tllas and missle, a ten man tac with plas gun and cannon. So far tao are screwin me up, any thoughts?

The Emperor protects.
Destroy the Heretic!

Loopy
IC Staff

Post by Loopy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:30 am

That is an extremely aggressive list for a balanced player. I suggest more Tactical squads with or without rhinos (depending on how often you play Tau) to move around handling objectives. I suggest possibly plasma guns and either lascannons or heavy bolters for those squads since they'll constantly be on the run.

Switch to a Librarian instead of the Chappy.

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:49 am

Another great episode, made me think a lot about my play style. I think for me I play almost reactively with Eldar and but not sure with my DA.
One of the things which drew me to Eldar is the speed of them. In my last game and huge flanking move by my Corsairs on Jetpacks on a big ruin proved enough to split the enemy fire and cause confusion for them handing me a narrow win. Having said that 3 of the Corsairs manged to kill thems jumping into cover lol. I had been on the back foot until that point loosing 2 squads and my farseer to zero kills in return.

Not sure where I would fall with Dark Angels. My last games I had 2 tac squads and a dread sit on my objective and I just steam rollered towards the enemy objective with a razor back, Land raider with 5 terminators (normal type with flamer) and Chaplain in terminator armour on board, another Land raider, and a land speeder.

I look forward to more BFG coverage. I have the box set and expansion but never actually got round to learning it.
HH Salamanders Hobby Challenge 2016
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8655

Return to “Show Discussion”