The time is long overdue for us to announce the guidelines for the 2016 Hobby Progress Challenge. You’ll note that not much has changed. The reason for this is that last year was greeted with such engagement, success, and acceptance that it seemed silly to change it too much.
This year, we’re teaming up with the 1 Hour a Night Facebook group to get our hobby commitments done. We still encourage people to post their progress here on the ICs forums, but as we all know, Facebook is a great tool for nearly instant communication with other hobbyists.
Note that THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT THAT YOU ENGAGE IN 1 HOUR A NIGHT. This is merely a suggestion and a way for both communities to merge into one, forming a cohesive whole, supporting all of us progressing our hobby commitments through the patented Tuttle Time.
1 Hour a Night Facebook Page
1 Hour a Night Challenge Document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iPF ... 0Pb6w/edit
Note that the criteria for the 1 Hour a Night challenge and the criteria for the ICs Hobby Progress Challenge are absolutely separate except where detailed in the “Achievements” below.
This year, we will have a new challenge to encourage our participants. Henceforth, you won’t be just working for your own hobby progress benefit, but for that of everyone else who plays your faction! If a participant has two or more units painted in a particular faction, they will be considered a member of that faction. At the end of the challenge, we will count how many members of a faction actually completed the Hobby Progress Challenge successfully. The Faction with the highest completed to not completed ratio will win 1 bonus point in the challenge! Remember, we are looking for people who complete the entire challenge!
For each month in the year of 2016 from February to November, two threads will be created. One thread will be for Hobby Progress Commitments and another thread will be for Hobby Progress Completion. Fulfilling Commitment/Completion combos will award 1 Hobby Progress Point.
In order to receive credit for that month’s entry, you must post a picture of your unpainted model in the Hobby Progress Commitment thread before the 15th of that month at 11:59pm Pacific Standard Time. Any posts after that time will be deleted and the thread will be locked. The photo must have a card or some other creative way to designate your ICs screen name and the date. Models with one color basecoat counts as "unpainted".
When you have finished your commitment, you must post an image of it in the Hobby Progress Completion thread for that month by the last day of the month before 11:59pm Pacific Standard Time at which time all posts later than that will be deleted and the thread will be locked. This photo must also have a card or some other creative way to designate your ICs screen name and the date.
The following items count as a legal Commitment for credit:
- 1 Warhammer 40,000 or Horus Heresy unit. Only 2 of these units may be an Independent Character. All other units must be either be a significant unit of infantry, vehicle(s), monstrous creature(s), bikes, or the like. What constitutes "significant", of course, is subjective, but try to keep them reasonable... 1 Rhino, 1 Daemon Prince, 3 Obliterators, 5 to 10 Tactical Marines, 3 to 6 bikes, etc. While 1 Attack Bike technically counts as a single Unit, it's not quite in the spirit of "significant".
- 1 significant piece of terrain. What constitutes “significant” is subjective, but imagine any Games Workshop kit would be considered a legal Commitment (1 Bastion, 2 Vengeance Batteries, 4 Quake Cannon Craters, 1 Woods, etc). If you use this as your guide, it should be easy to figure out what works. You may only count the table cover itself as 1 entry.
- 4 Battlefleet Gothic "units". A squadron of at least 3 Escorts counts as a BFG unit.
The most successful people in the world measure themselves by how they handled their failures. Sometimes life gets in the way of our hobby time and that's to be expected. The prize structure of the Hobby Progress Challenge is such that one need not complete every challenge in order to be recognized for their achievements. Furthermore, if you fail to complete a challenge, feel free to use your failed commitment for your next month's commitment; simply post the original picture in this month's commitment thread along with a work-in-progress photo.
Additionally, a number of threads will be created for Hobby Progress Challenge Achievements. The completion of each Achievement will result in the award of Hobby Progress Points. Each Achievement may only be scored once. Also please note that these Achievements are designed so that most people can complete some of them.
In all cases, you must post your Achievement in the appropriate Achievement threads or else you won't be counted for it. For example, if you complete 5 Commitments in the same style, you need to post a group photo in the "5 Completed Commitments" thread to be counted.
- Complete 5 Commitments which are from the same Faction or Table Style. 1 Hobby Progress Challenge Point
- Complete 5 more Commitments which are from the same Faction or Table Style. These may be from the same or different Faction or Table style from the first 5 you completed. OR complete the 1 Hour a Night “CAD in a Quarter” mini-challenge. See the 1 Hour a Night Facebook page for upcoming details on this mini-challenge. 2 Hobby Progress Challenge Points
- Complete 6 detailed Objective Markers numbered 1-6 which demonstrate significant modeling and/or painting effort to narratively bind it to one of the armies or terrain tables you have painted for this year's Hobby Progress Challenge. Simply painting pictures on a poker chip will not be sufficient. 1 Hobby Progress Challenge Point
- Write fluff for your army and/or terrain table. This must total at least 1500 words. You may do either 150 words per Commitment or 1500 total for your entire Hobby Progress Challenge; it’s entirely up to you. Please be sure to use spell-checker and proof-read. 2 Hobby Progress Challenge Points
- Create a themed display board for one of the armies you have painted for this year's Hobby Progress Challenge. 1 Hobby Progress Challenge Point
- 1 Hour a Night Participation through the months of February-November. 1 Hobby Progress Challenge Point
- Faction Award. If you complete 3 or more challenges of a particular faction and that faction has the most people in it who completed the Hobby Progress Challenge successfully, you score this Achievement. 1 Hobby Progress Challenge Point
HOBBY PROGRESS CHALLENGE POINTS
We are working on getting prize support. There will likely be some, at least. You will receive 1 chance in the HPC prize drawing for each Hobby Progress Challenge Point your receive. You must score at least 8 points to be eligible for a prize. Note that there may also be some prizes awarded by merit depending on the amount of prize support we get.
Additionally, we are looking to try and add a badge system to the forums. If we are able to get a system working, then you will receive a HPC 2016 badge as follows:
Bronze = 8 Hobby Progress Challenge Points
Silver = 12 Hobby Progress Challenge Points
Gold = 15 Hobby Progress Challenge Points
Please let us know if any of this seems confusing and we will clarify.
I want to personally thank Carl for agreeing to keep the forums running. However, what comes with that is a growing importance to keeping costs down and keeping the server healthy and happy. We will continue to that HPC participants NOT upload images to the forums. Instead, we have posted tutorials on how to post images from a remote service for those who don't already know how to do so.
Adeptus Mechanicus (includes Skitarii, Cult Mechanicus, and 30k Mechanicum)
Agents of the Imperium (includes Adepta Sororitas, Inquisition, and Officio Assassinorum)
Astra Militarum (includes Astra Militarum, Militarum Tempestus, and 30k Solar Auxilia)
Chaos Space Marines (includes Chaos Space Marines and Renegades)
Eldar (includes Eldar, Dark Eldar, Harlequins, and Corsairs)
Imperial Knights (includes 40k and 30k)
Legiones Astartes (30k)